What's new

What LD's are needed? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, I'll tell ya... I sold off most of my laser disc collection two years ago when it seemed certain Warner Bros. was going to continue to provide massive support for classic titles on DVD. Then I realized over time that this company developed a policy of releasing maybe (that's MAYBE) a half-dozen classic catalog titles per year. I read many threads about shifting priorities and heard horrible things such as "Warner Bros. does not believe old black and white films will sell on DVD," etc. Whoops. Most of the lasers I'd sold were Warner titles, and RKO and MGM classics (all now owned by Warner Bros). I began buying back my laser collection a year ago on eBay and now have about 95% of the most coveted (and least likely to be released on DVD) lasers again, in many cases in better shape than the ones I'd sold. The VAL LEWTON box set is a corker, and you might be able to get this 9-movie anthology for around a hundred bucks. THE THING; THEM!; THE HAUNTING (1963); THE INFORMER; QUEEN CHRISTINA; NORTHWEST PASSAGE; SEA HAWK; WATERSHIP DOWN; SINBAD THE SAILOR... the list goes on. My suggestion is that you concentrate on the RKO, MGM and Warner Bros classics, which could be decades before seeing re-issue on DVD or a future video format. The color classics and more recent material will more quickly become available. Spend lots of time on eBay and find your bargains. I still think lasers look great, and I watch them frequently. Skip KING KONG. Word has it Warner Bros is actually getting around to that for DVD release next year.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Well, let's see - what are you interested in? The list could be pretty huge or very limited. What I have been specializing in the last year is rare, hard-to-find titles and box sets - geez, do I have a lot of box sets. Here are some suggestions:
[*]Looney Tunes. It does look like Looney Tunes cartoons may start to appear on dvd sometime next year but more probably in 2003. Which ones? Will they be censored? Will they be released in sets like The Golden Age of Looney Tunes? All unknowns. There are five Golden Age of Looney Tunes (volumes 4 & 5 are the hardest to find and the most expensive), two Japanese import box sets (none of the cartoons on these sets appear on any other LD. These will be really expensive and hard to find even if you're willing to pay the price. I know where you might be able to pick them up if you're interested) and about a dozen single discs.
[*]Disney box sets. Yes, we're getting a wonderful and loaded Snow White dvd and, eventually, a number of like dvds. However, if you've been following, Disney's release schedule is pretty drawn out. Plus, not all Disney animated titles will be so treated making a number of box sets still quite collectable. Furthermore, the box sets have things like books and lithographs that will not be making to dvd ever. I own all the Disney box sets and am not going to ever get rid of them regardless of what comes to dvd. Some suggestions: Cinderella, Lion King, Sleeping Beauty, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Pocahontas, Pinocchio, Mickey Mouse: The Black and White Years and the rarest of all Disney box sets, The Disneyland Anthology (this contains six episodes from the old Disneyland TV series, including the very rare Mars and Beyond. The coming Disneyland dvd duplicates only one of these episodes (not the Mars one)).
[*]The Nightmare Before Christmas box set. I'm making a special recommendation for this set. Yes, there's a SE dvd that looks just as good, although some say the LD sounds better. The dvd, however, contains only an abbreviated version of the "making of" documentary. Most of all the box set contains the best book ever included with an LD box set - this is one of the few books I would have bought had it not been included.
[*]Other Disney titles: Song of the South (expect to pay $200-$250) and The Best of Roger Rabbit.
[*]Japanese Imports. These are often very expensive and occasionally extremely expensive.
[*]Gettysburg box set. The dvd beats it hands down for picture quality but it's the 254 minute version. The box set is the only way to get the 271 minute version on any format. Plus, it has a wonderful book, a map of the battle, the soundtrack cd plus - get this - an authentic civil war bullet in its own little pouch!
[*]The Day the Earth Stood Still box set. Just for your info, a dvd is coming next year and, being from Fox, it's bound to be a corker. The box set, however, is still worth pursuing because a.) it was limited to 2500 copies b.) it's signed by Robert Wise c.) it has an excellent book on Robert Wise and his film projects d.) it has a 24-ct gold soundtrack cd, available nowhere else.
[*]Criterions! Too numerous to list. I have bought maybe 40 Criterions in the last year on Ebay. Many of these are on dvd but those dvds lack the Criterion supplements. Plus Criterion specializes in obscure films that may not make it to dvd any time soon, and perhaps never.
So, that's a start - it's too late to go much further.
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV
[Edited last by alan halvorson on October 06, 2001 at 03:56 AM]

YANG

Screenwriter
Besides the big thrre titles that were mentioned above,other movies that are still not available in DVD yet are:
* UNIVERSAL: SCHINDLER'S LIST
* UNIVERSAL: E.T
* UNIVERSAL: CASPER
* UNIVERSAL: THE SHADOW(WIDESCREEN)
* UNIVERSAL: BABE(WIDESCREEN)
* WARNER: WYATT EARP
* WARNER: WYATT EARP DIRECTOR'S CUT
* ORION: DANCES WITH WOLVES DIRECTOR'S CUT
* FOX: COME SEE PARADISE
* FOX: THE BLUE MAX
* FOX-DTS: BROKEN ARROW
* FOX-DTS: VOLCANO
* FOX-DTS: ALIEN RESURRECTION
* MGM: BATTLE OF BRITIAN
* MGM: WHERE EAGLES DARE
* MGM-DTS: BLOWN AWAY
* MGM-DTS: GOLDENEYE
* MGM-DTS: TOMORROW NEVER DIES
* MGM-DTS: SPECIES
* MGM-DTS: RONIN
* PARAMOUNT: BEVERLY HILLS COP TRILOGY
* PARAMOUNT-DTS: TITANIC
* TOUCHSTONE-DTS: ARMAGEDDON
* DIMENSION-DTS: MIMIC

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
DROP DEAD FRED
biggrin.gif

------------------
jasvparbanner2.jpg

www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Where does one start? There are huge gaps in the DVD library as opposed to the laser library. Of course, I'm talking Golden Age cinema for the most part as practically every "major" title is on DVD save the usual suspects such as Star Wars, Schindler's List, Indiana Jones etc. But come on, you know those titles are a few years down the road. They'll get here eventually. DVD has been a boom for post 1970 film lovers. Meanwhile "classic" movie lovers are left starving.
Titles that may never see the light of day for years (I'm talking Region 1 here) that I've got in my laser library (which I never dreamed of selling, I upgrade to DVD as they slowly come out):
Silent classics: Ben-Hur (1926), Gance's Napoleon, The Wind, The Big Parade, The Crowd among many others.
Boxed Sets: The Astaire & Rogers Collections (4 films), The Val Lewton Collection (9 films), The Thin Man Collection (6 films), The James Cagney Collection (5 films), The Ernst Lubitsch Touch (6 films), Greta Garbo Collection (4 films), The Greta Garbo Silents (3 films), Visconti's The Leopard (Japanese boxed import), The Judy Garland MGM years (3 films) plus many more.
MGM Musicals: The Band Wagon, Meet Me In St. Louis, Easter Parade, Silk Stockings, It's Always Fair Weather. Kiss Me Kate and too many too mention.
Comedy: Bringing Up Baby, Auntie Mame, The Women, Man Who Came To Dinner, Palm Beach Story, Letter To Three Wives among many others.
Drama: Magnificent Ambersons, Letter From An Unknown Woman, White Heat, Lust For Life, Some Came Running, Peyton Place, Raintree County, The Nun's Story among many others.
Film Noir: Out Of The Past, Laura, The Killers, Postman Always Rings Twice (1946), While The City Sleeps among many others.
Westerns: She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Johnny Guitar, Bend Of The River among many others.
Adventure: African Queen, Sea Hawk, Scaramouche (1952) among many others.
I won't even begin to go into the foreign titles. I'm grateful I still have my letterboxed La Dolce Vita.
[Edited last by Thomas T on October 06, 2001 at 08:15 AM]

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Flesh for Lulu: Live in London
wink.gif

------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!
[Edited last by Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm on October 06, 2001 at 08:20 AM]

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
...you guys said it all. All those beautiful box sets out there that will never be reproduced with their beautiful books, lithographs, CD's, etc. I have over 300 lasers and most are box sets. I need only a few to complete it...I thought I would never say that!...oh, this just came to mind...look at all the Japanese films. I going to get the original "Godzilla" without Burr, "Godzilla Raids Again"(Gigantis the Fire Monster over here) only in Japanese with NO subtitles...now that will be a kick to see the movie as it was intended, language and sound!!! I do collect DVD's, over 200 but mainly what I don't have on laser...remember, you have to do your homework before you buy a laser. Which print are you getting, latest, CAV or CLV, box, etc...take your time.
biggrin.gif

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
This is why we have an archive, kids
wink.gif

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20001225-15-018966.html
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks