What's new

Beverly Hillbillies Season 5????? (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The remastered season 1 release only appeared at the end of April of this year.

So I'd say you have a decent wait ahead before you're likely to hear about season 5 in 2017, if it's indeed in the works (rmw650 talks as if he has an direct inside connection, so that's not promising). They're only now announcing stuff for February and I can't see them putting this out before spring at the earliest.

I hope they're working on season 4 of Petticoat Junction.

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The remastered season 1 release pnly appeared at the end of April of this year.

So I'd say you have a decent wait ahead before you're likely to hear about season 5 in 2017, if it's indeed in the works (rmw650 talks as if he has an direct inside connection, so that's not promising). They're only now announcing stuff for February and I can't see them putting this out before spring at the earliest.

I hope they're working on season 4 of Petticoat Junction.
I think Petticoat has a lot worse chances of being continued since season 4 and up are full of songs that will make it a music clearance nightmare. But I sure would love to see both shows completed.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
CBS has a lot of shows, like Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, and Happy Days, that need to be farmed out to a company like Shout or Olive or Mill Creek or anyone but the hacks at VEI to complete and work their magic as far as music rights go.

Why do they keep hanging onto the shows when they obviously have no intention of doing anything with them, and on the off chance they do, the shows are generally hacked into little bitty pieces every time someone says something that vaguely resembles lyrics to a song that's probably in public domain anyway?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
They tend to overvalue things.

That's why Green Acres with its modern transfers sits in the vault at just 50% completion on DVD, for an excellent example from yet another publisher.

They don't feel as if there's enough money there to justify themselves seeking it out, but they still think it's worth more than it needs to be priced at in order for a 3rd party coming in to license it and assume all the economic risk of bringing it to DVD, to be able to justify taking the chance.

That's why prime 60's classics like the Henning sitcoms that do have commercial potential on a smaller scale in 2016, remain far from complete on the DVD format. The big publishers were too slow with some of these choice properties and missed their window of opportunity to maximize sales with the decline in the DVD business and the continued loss of the audience.

Yet despite having decided their viability has been diminished, they still seem to think the numbers where licensing is concerned should yield them money like they'd of gotten back in 2005. So the shows just sit and all the while, the viscous cycle continues, reducing their worth every year and their chances.

Some form of profit sharing would be a better solution. Seek out licensees that have succeeded in this area and collaborate by opening up your vaults in exchange for a slice of the profits, instead of asking for up front licensing fees that just scare them away.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Sorry, but you said nothing was in the pipeline yet.

I took that to mean more than that it just hadn't yet been announced. I interpreted it as saying that your sources are saying that it's not on their internal schedule for planned 2017 releases, that new transfers aren't being produced, etc.

Hopefully it is in the pipeline for a 2017 release and is being worked on as we speak.

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
At this point is CBS releasing any old shows on DVD other than repackages ?

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
CBS confounds me. They spent obviously big dollars going back and doing HD masters of S1. Hey, no complaints here! I felt like the S1 DVD's were the best put together yet, but they are in the public domain! If anything, I figured we'd be seeing a S5 instead. The Syndication Bible doesn't show S1 as available for syndication in HD, yet we obviously know HD masters exist. If they are indeed future proofing their catalog as many have suggested, why not show S1 as available. Count me confused!

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
The Syndication Bible doesn't show S1 as available for syndication in HD, yet we obviously know HD masters exist. If they are indeed future proofing their catalog as many have suggested, why not show S1 as available. Count me confused!

I'm guessing CBS doesn't update it much anymore for their classic series. They haven't updated MANNIX either (Season 1 is now in syndication, and they're using the new HD transfers in syndication).

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
CBS has been reissuing complete DVD packages on many of the shows that they completed - Perry Mason, Untouchables, Have Gun Will Travel, the Fugitive, etc. I'm hoping that possibly when they finish all of those shows, they will look into releasing complete packages on shows like Beverley Hillbillies. that are remastered but not yet issued.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Sadly. what's been remastered for this one and most others that don't have their full runs out on DVD, have already been released.

Is there much more than Our Miss Brooks that CBS has remastered but not brought to market?

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Sadly. what's been remastered for this one and most others that don't have their full runs out on DVD, have already been released.

Is there much more than Our Miss Brooks that CBS has remastered but not brought to market?
It seems like CBS is gradually re-mastering many of it's old shows. I don't have access to a list of what's been completed . Maybe someone else reading this does and can post it . In the meantime , if they just released Our Miss Brooks and and the rest of Beverley Hillbillies I'd be happy.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Lou, this is the only thing I am seeing in regards to a "new" release of the BH and a link or two as to what's available for Our Miss Brooks respectively...(show airs at 4 AM CT on ME-TV)

https://www.amazon.com/Beverly-Hillbillies-Episodes-Digital-Copy/dp/B01MT8O983?SubscriptionId=AKIAILJ5MOPZDFUUPM4Q&tag=vi0f4-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01MT8O983

https://www.amazon.com/1949-53-Broo...id=1487385506&sr=1-3&keywords=our+miss+brooks

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TV-Comed...75035&wl11=online&wl12=40294726&wl13=&veh=sem

The latter two seem to be public domain titles but that's all that is out for these two shows as of late.
RMW650 thanks for the post . I have 2 of the DVDs you show, but I'm still hoping for a compete box set on Our Miss Brooks and while I'm fantasizing , Life Of Riley would be nice too!!
I was at Walmart today looking for the Westerner (which naturally they didn't have.) I noticed a box set : the Beverley Hillbillies Seasons 1-4, and also a box set Petticoat Junction Seasons 1-3 . I'm not sure if this means CBS is done releasing these shows and not to expect further seasons . I hope not .

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
RMW650 thanks for the post . I have 2 of the DVDs you show, but I'm still hoping for a compete box set on Our Miss Brooks and while I'm fantasizing , Life Of Riley would be nice too!!
I was at Walmart today looking for the Westerner (which naturally they didn't have.) I noticed a box set : the Beverley Hillbillies Seasons 1-4, and also a box set Petticoat Junction Seasons 1-3 . I'm not sure if this means CBS is done releasing these shows and not to expect further seasons . I hope not .

I wouldn't think it means anything other than repackaging already pressed discs to make extra profit.

They've split virtually all of their long running shows up into packages like this or rereleased complete series sets.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Lou, call me Richard and I think Walmart is probably doing that to remove whatever excess inventory they have left in their warehouse and selling it at a cost that is attractive to customers, just my opinion and hence their bundling option.

Now regarding Our Miss Brooks, i could have sworn I saw a new listing for that title but then it disappeared most recently.

Other than those cheap bootleg versions being made available online, that's as close as we've gotten to any kind of a standard DVD release of this show, along with The Life of Riley, so for now, that DVD set i directed you to would have to do for now.

ME-TV airs this show (Brooks) in the wee morning hours of the morning on a daily basis.
Hi Richard . The 2 boxsets I saw at Walmart weren't bundled sets . They were actually consistent with the new plastic boxes that CBS has been using recently to collect entire shows - like the one that Star Trek now comes in . These ARE Walmart exclusives , so it's always possible that the sets are composed of old stock repackaged .

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I have saw a few 16mm prints on sale online for the show. I know some places will transfer 16mm to DVD even. I'm seriously beginning to think that's the way to go. Past that, if I could invent a time machine, I'd stop myself from recording over my VHS tapes with Are You Being Served?. A fine quality Brit show by all means, but I like Jed over Captain Peacock! Ya know, I just thought those shows would always be there. This was the early 90's, and WREG had ALWAYS shown it over and over and over without fail. I just knew they'd continue to do so, so I wanted Are You Being Served? on tape to watch. I was a teenager on a limited budget at the time. Lo and behold, WREG switched from 16mm film to the BetaSP format which meant edited episodes; they'd already did the same with The Andy Griffith Show. I salvaged a handful of episodes, but either the DVD's have been lost or unplayable to a point I have two episodes saved-"The Hot Rod Truck" and "Problem Bear." The latter has a better version on the Columbia House tapes, so there's no point in it existing right now. Grr...

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Ya know, I just thought those shows would always be there.
That one statement is why I have a *physical* collection and likely the statement that's fostered those of most of this forum's members. It's also why I own thousands of CDs (and records prior to that... OK... I still own the records too but don't play them as much).

CBS needs to get off their collective **** and get on with it! To quote a favorite British comedy show.

The Beverly Hillbillies is a long-time favorite (since the original airings) that I'd *love* to have in a full series collection!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks