What's new

The Last Guardian (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The reviews have generally been positive. The main complaints are interesting. Mostly camera, framerate slowdown in some areas, and Trico being so realistic that he won't do what you ask and that can slow you down. Three different reviews I read said the game is about 13 hours long but could be longer or shorter if Trico is cooperative, which I find fascinating.

Regardless of the frustrations, though, it seems like a real winner. This is similar to Ico and Shadow of the Colossus in that it fits into the "games as art" category. It's not perfect but it does something to elicit emotions that you can't really get from another medium.

The sole reason I'm not picking this up today is that FFXV is still my main focus at the moment.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
“I mean "waiting game" quite literally, by the way. In numerous cases I would give up on a puzzle and set down the controller, turning away from the screen. When I turned back 10 or 15 minutes later, Trico would inexplicably, finally be in the position I had been trying to get it into when I gave up. It feels like the game is emulating real cat behavior by putting in some hidden timer before it will listen to you. It makes for a realistic depiction of my favorite house pet, but it's terrible gameplay.”

http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/5/13...tation-4-ps4-trico-sony-fumito-ueda-gendesign

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My limited impression is it's a worthwhile experience if you don't mind the bad gameplay design choices. Otherwise, you'll find a mediocre game with moments of brilliance.

Had the reviews been 10/10 for a 15 hour game, I'd buy it soon.

Instead, I'll wait. I have no connection to its predecessors (didn't have a PS2 or PS3). If the consensus emerges this is a classic must play, I'll get it next year.

In the mean time, I've got Journey still unplayed.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Oh man, you DEFINITELY should play Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. They're on PS Now (if you don't have a PS3 available) and they are both incredible.

I'm not sure if it was the Polygon review or the Kotaku review, but one of them said (paraphrasing here) that they were never frustrated by "the game" but rather by "the animal" in the game, which is an interesting idea. Trico is so realistic that the experience felt more like dealing with an actual animal rather than just some AI robot. THAT, even if it turns into a bit of a test of patience, is what seems to be the goal of the experience. That's why all of the gameplay videos shown at E3 and other events were pre-recorded, they couldn't ensure Trico would act as they needed for the moment so they couldn't play it live.

As much as this is probably frustrating in practice and makes a fun hobby experience turn into a cat simulator, I still think its cool. It also helps build a bond between the player and this fake animal creature, which people say really sells the experience.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
My limited impression is it's a worthwhile experience if you don't mind the bad gameplay design choices. Otherwise, you'll find a mediocre game with moments of brilliance.

Had the reviews been 10/10 for a 15 hour game, I'd buy it soon.

Instead, I'll wait. I have no connection to its predecessors (didn't have a PS2 or PS3). If the consensus emerges this is a classic must play, I'll get it next year.

In the mean time, I've got Journey still unplayed.

Metacritic has it at 83. Many of the user scores are perfect or 10/10.
I will post my thoughts later-after I pick it up.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I loved ICO, but Shadow of the Colossus I put down about 25% into and still haven't gathered up the incentive to go back to.

The controls just killed that one for me, they we just so damn clumsy. It sucked all the fun and will to play out of it for me.

Sounds like this one may be the same thing. I'll pass on it for now and see how the opinions settle once time passes. Trico's behaviour may be a technical marvel and an achievement, but if it doesn't translate to fun for the player, then I just don't see the point.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I have spent about three hours with it so far. my overall impression is that it is an amazing game. True awe inspiring game design that is slightly marred by odd camera angles at times(although not too often).
I honestly haven't felt this level of exploration bliss since the first Tomb Raider on the PS1 20 years ago. It is the game I had hoped it would be, and in regards of Trico the AI is much better than expected.
Some of my gameplay below:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-last-guardian/critic-reviews

Wow, 11 perfect scores from critics. Well deserved. Not that it even matters much, I'm just happy that it is getting some glowing reviews despite some minor(and they are absolutely minor)gameplay issues. I think the overall experience to each individual player is what matters. it is art in the truest sense. And true art it is so subjective it is hard to place a rank on it.

I will compare it to a movie. 2001: A Space Odyssey. Show it to one person, and they will tell you it is the most boring nonsensical garbage they ever witnessed. Show it to another, it is a masterpiece that goes beyond the scale of perfect.
Who is right?

Welcome to The Last Guardian.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
For 2001, I side with the former. For The Last Guardian, I hope it's the latter. :)

Heard something about low sales. Disappointing if accurate after the pedigree that has been established, but if true, Ico was a slow burner too and look what it led to. The real sales test will be where it stands five years from now, since it should be an evergreen title that will be readily available for years to come unlike so many other titles with built-in obsolescence.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
For 2001, I side with the former. For The Last Guardian, I hope it's the latter. :)

Heard something about low sales. Disappointing if accurate after the pedigree that has been established, but if true, Ico was a slow burner too and look what it led to. The real sales test will be where it stands five years from now, since it should be an evergreen title that will be readily available for years to come unlike so many other titles with built-in obsolescence.

the IGN review was unfair. That is probably the one major site that will (unfortunately) dictate a lot of gamers buying decisions. it got a score of 70 which is merely good. with the minor camera angle issues the only problem.

While Dead Rising 4 got a score of 83(great) and is a fucking broken mess with no patch in sight. I got to a spot last night that left me furious. I had a mission that keeps resetting not allowing me to proceed---how can it be great if it is badly broken...unplayable? My friend has had the same issues with the game. If you stick to the main quest only, no problem --try to do any of the fun side missions, you have major trouble.

IGN is no longer a site I have any faith in. I'm done with them, and will stick with EGM which is a ghost of the now defunct printed publication, but for the most part it is still fair and informative.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
On a related note, Game Informer is pretty trustworthy, especially considering that it's GameStop's house magazine.

It's actually the only print magazine (other than board wargame magazines that include a game) that I still pay for.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Video game print magazines are nearly a thing of the past. When I get all my pictures sorted I'm starting a thread devoted to them.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I loved ICO, but Shadow of the Colossus I put down about 25% into and still haven't gathered up the incentive to go back to.
I finished the game last night, Jeff, and if you loved ICO, you'll be right at home here. The Last Guardian is much more akin to it than Shadow of the Colossus. In fact, in my opinion, the only significant comparison to that game is Trico is massive and you climb around on him (her?) Unlike ICO where you basically drag a companion with you throughout the game, in The Last Guardian, they take the companion mechanic and expand upon it by making you bond with Trico to establish a relationship of trust, and then work together in order to solve the game's many puzzles.

Are there control and camera problems? You bet, but they are certainly no worse than in the studio's other games. What's different here is that Trico's AI is incredibly lifelike and any longtime dog owner will pick up familiar nuances as they play through the game. Let's say, one time you tell Trico to jump there, and he does it. The next time you issue a similar command, he ignores you because he's off staring at something else that has captured his attention. In the end, the stronger the bond you create with Trico, the more likely you are to achieve success more quickly. Not to get too spoilery, that is the basic play mechanic you will need to master.

And that ending...let's just say it is powerful, exhilarating, and packs an emotional wallop.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I just finally "finished" FFXV so I ran out to get The Last Guardian. Only a couple hours in but I seem to be somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 done already. It's good, I'm enjoying the atmosphere, but the controls are just so PS2-wonky. Trico is still impressive and reminds me a bit of my cats, so I guess I'm a little more patient with it than most.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just finally "finished" FFXV so I ran out to get The Last Guardian. Only a couple hours in but I seem to be somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 done already. It's good, I'm enjoying the atmosphere, but the controls are just so PS2-wonky. Trico is still impressive and reminds me a bit of my cats, so I guess I'm a little more patient with it than most.
I actually got out the PS3 remastered "Shadow Of The Colossus" and realized that the controls of TLG are an improvement over that game. The horseback riding in SOTC is darn near terrible, but pretty to look at.

OFF TOPIC:

Come to think of it has horseback riding in any video game ever been good? From Zelda Ocarina OF Time, to Metal Gear Phantom Pain. I just find that every game There is a horse I can expect clunky gameplay. Never smooth and easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks