What's new

Star Trek Enterprise: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81PYhi8XnRL._SX522_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The BD's are totally worth it. This price equates to $30 per season. That's a steal. The bonus features are top notch. The only thing missing from the sets are episode trailers. It's a shame, but certainly not a deal breaker.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Love the cover art!

The U.K. Set is about half the price of the new set....

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
But I can't play those in my Player can I?
According to the Amazon.co.uk page for the product it *is* "region free." The ST:TNG Complete Series set I purchased there a few months back is region free - and a bargain compared to the US release. Several posts on another forum site confirm it's a region free release. I keep dragging my feet on upgrading in spite of it having gotten down to ~$40 shipped a couple of months back (it's currently ~$48 shipped - less if your CC co. doesn't charge a forex fee).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, I only have S1 of Enterprise on Blu and I'd like to get the rest, but I'm torn on the US or the UK edition. I don't love the UK packaging but it's half the price of the new US set. Is it worth paying twice as much for the box? Probably not.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I got the UK set for $40 a little while back. Have not regretted it for a second, except the box isn't shelf friendly.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I got the UK set for $40 a little while back. Have not regretted it for a second, except the box isn't shelf friendly.
True, but it uses those "Mega-Cases" which *are* shelf friendly. I'll probably store the box and shelve the cases on my ST:TNG set and do the same with Enterprise when I cave and pick it up. Considering how good these, and TOS, look on BR I'm really wishing CBS/Paramount would remaster DS9 and Voyager for BR as well.

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
True, but it uses those "Mega-Cases" which *are* and shelf friendly. I'll probably store the box and shelve the cases on my ST:TNG set and do the same with Enterprise when I cave and pick it up. Considering how good these, and TOS, look on BR I'm really wishing CBS/Paramount would remaster DS9 and Voyager for BR as well.
Last time I inquired about DS9 HD the word was that either the market or the regime would have to radically change to make the multi-million dollar investment in a lackluster fan favorite even a realistic conversation. Let's hope one or both of those variables changes, but the more time passes, the less likely the remote possibilities are for either release.

Sad, because taken as a whole, those 175 episodes of DS9 represent IMHO the best Trek ever created.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have both British sets, and am very satisfied. They arrived in perfect condition and much quicker than I thought. The play perfectly, and I think look good on a shelf.
P.S. Don't forget Voyager, my favourite of the two remaining to be "Blu Rayed". A complete Blu Ray set would be a first day purchase for me.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Last time I inquired about DS9 HD the word was that either the market or the regime would have to radically change to make the multi-million dollar investment in a lackluster fan favorite even a realistic conversation. Let's hope one or both of those variables changes, but the more time passes, the less likely the remote possibilities are for either release.

Sad, because taken as a whole, those 175 episodes of DS9 represent IMHO the best Trek ever created.
Sadly agreed, and as you mention, the longer CBS waits, the less marketable the SD versions of DS9 and VOY become to the greater viewing public. At this point, probably the best we can ever hope for is an upscaled version of those shows eventually, since I can't see even CBS allowing two entire Star Trek television series (comprising some 350+ episodes) to sit un-rereleased in the vault forever, and not make any further money for the studio.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
[
Sadly agreed, and as you mention, the longer CBS waits, the less marketable the SD versions of DS9 and VOY become to the greater viewing public. At this point, probably the best we can ever hope for is an upscaled version of those shows eventually, since I can't see even CBS allowing two entire Star Trek television series (comprising some 350+ episodes) to sit un-rereleased in the vault forever, and not make any further money for the studio.
I have always said I would buy upscaled versions of those series without hesitation, even if the live action and effects were both upscaled. No one will ever convince me those one-inch masters couldn't, as is, be transferred at a manageable cost and in a markedly better way with today's state of the art.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
[

I have always said I would buy upscaled versions of those series without hesitation, even if the live action and effects were both upscaled. No one will ever convince me those one-inch masters couldn't, as is, be transferred at a manageable cost and in a markedly better way with today's state of the art.

For sure. I'd prefer the real deal, but if they're not going to do it, I think the video compression codecs they use on Blu-ray can be a lot more forgiving of SD masters than DVD can be at times. There are a couple Blu-rays I have that are upconverts and they look better than their DVD counterparts to me. And the upscale of "Trials and Tribble-ations" on the TOS set doesn't look bad as long as you're not comparing it directly to the TOS episodes that are actually in HD. I don't own the DS9 DVD discs but have borrowed some of them from a friend before Netflix had the show available - there are some compression artifacts in the DVDs that in theory could be eliminated from the BD, and that alone would make a BD a desirable purchase for me.

And if CBS could ever be persuaded to meet us halfway and do a mix of HD live action scans combined with SD upscales for any scenes with effects (the way Fox did their X-Files HD remasters), I'd gladly take that too.

Certainly the lack of an HD presentation won't keep me away from revisiting DS9 or Voyager in the future. I suspect that as long as Ron Moore's reimagining of Battlestar Galactica remains popular, there will be some crossover interest in DS9, so people will probably continue to stream that in SD for some time to come. I wonder if Voyager will hit a sell-by date though.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think I could live with an X-Files type remaster of DS9.

But no way in hell would I take a cheap-ass VEI SD on Blu upscaled version.

And either way, reconstructed from 35mm or upscaled, you know they'd charge overinflated prices and wonder why more people didn't buy on day one.

MikeTV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
The BD's are totally worth it. This price equates to $30 per season. That's a steal. The bonus features are top notch. The only thing missing from the sets are episode trailers. It's a shame, but certainly not a deal breaker.

$78 divided by four seasons amounts to less than $20 per season. That's a bigger steal.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Certainly the lack of an HD presentation won't keep me away from revisiting DS9 or Voyager in the future.
Yup, and for this very reason (along with a few other, currently-DVD-only shows, plus certain films like the ST:TMP Director's Edition) I keep two CRT televisions around, since DS9 in standard-def DVD viewed on an HDTV basically looks like a diseased cat's anus. With that setup, I can revisit DS9 and VOY anytime I like, though I definitely wish that CBS would just hurry up and perform some type of HD-futureproofing on those two shows, already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks