What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Rod Serling's The Twilight Zone, was an extremely popular television staple which ran on CBS for five seasons (1959-1964).

Over its 156 episodes, directors, composers, and actors, both experienced and new to the arena, made their marks.

The short list of directors:

John Braham, Buzz Kulik, Lamont Johnson, Richard Donner, Jack Smith, Ted Post, Elliot Silverstein, Robert Florey, Mitch Leisen, Robert Parrish, Stuart Rosenberg, Joseph Newman, Christian Nyby, Ralph Nelson, Norman Z. McLeod, Robert Ellis Miller, David Butler, Richard Sarafian, Ida Lupino and Jacques Tourneur...

Composers included Bernard Hermann and Franz Waxman..

The short list of players:

Jack Klugman, Gladys Cooper, Burgess Meredith, John Dehner, Ben Wright, Vladimir Sokoloff, Paul Mazursky, Marjorie Bennett, William Shatner, Inger Stevens, Lee Marvin, Cliff Robertson, Joseph Schildkraut, Ed Wynne, James Gregory, Anne Francis, Fritz Weaver, Dick York, Simon Oakland, Richard Long, John McGiver, Martin Landau, Martin Balsam, Thomas Gomez, Jack Warden, Patricia Breslin, Cecil Kellaway, Claude Atkins, Ross Martin, Jack Weston, Jeanette Nolan, John Marley, Warren Oates, Jack Albertson, Ned Glass, Rod Taylor, Art Carney, John Carradine, Fred Clark, Robert Cummings, Howard Duff, Richard Haydn, Dewey Martin, Kevin McCarthy, Roddy McDowall, John McIntire, Keenan Wynn, Shelley Berman , Jack Carson, Dane Clark, Peter Falk, Dean Jagger, Buster Keaton, Elizabeth Montgomery, Gary Merrill, Agnes Moorehead, Lois Nettleton, Barbara Nichols, Dean Stockwell, Harold J. Stone, Franchot Tone, Dennis Weaver, Theodore Bikel, Lloyd Bochner, Andy Devine, Donald Pleasance, Dana Andrews, Richard Basehart, James Coburn, Robert Duvall, Ann Blythe, Jackie Cooper, Dan Duryea, Jim Hutton, Ida Lupino, Vera Miles, Sebastian Cabot, Steve Forrest, Cedric Hardwicke, Pat Hingle, Dennis Hopper...

The list goes on, seemingly forever.

This series has been available for years via Image Entertainment on DVD, and later on Blu-ray -- now all out of print, and going for too many dollars.

Which is why it's important to acknowledge that CBS and Paramount are making you an offer you really can't refuse, if you either don't have these films on Blu-ray, or are new to the series.

156 episodes, in quality packaging about two inches in thickness, for $84 at street price.

That works out to just under 54 cents per episode.

And among the 156, you'll find Robert Enrico's extraordinary short film, An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge.

No "But wait, there's more!"

No steak knives or toaster ovens thrown into the deal, if you call today.

Just the most extraordinary deal that can be found on this series.

I should probably mention quality.

Absolutely superb in every detail.

From original 35mm elements, with both original broadcast audio, and well as cleaned.

Isolated music scores, loads of extras.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Love the series but never bought the dvd or blu-ray but now i will. Wish i was getting the Rod Serling Signature steak knives when i place my order....;)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I collected the entire original Image Blu-ray set, complete with defective S1 disk 4 which I've never got around to returning. Wonder if the exchange program is still available?
Been quite happy with it otherwise.

Wonder if they'll ever do a colorized set....OK OK I was just kidding. Put down the daggers! Or should I say put down the Rod Serling Signature Steak Knives?

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I collected the entire original Image Blu-ray set, complete with defective S1 disk 4 which I've never got around to returning. Wonder if the exchange program is still available?
Been quite happy with it otherwise.

Wonder if they'll ever do a colorized set....OK OK I was just kidding. Put down the daggers!
Careful what you wish for ...
colorized_eye_of_the_beholder__the_twilight_zone__by_william19763-d8jmomk.jpg

CBS seems to think that is the way to bring the young uns to watch the old shows (eg I Love Lucy and The Andy Griffith Show ) is to colorize them :() - The merits of which are In the Eye of The Beholder ...

I have the individual DVD sets and all but the last season Bluray individual sets and ended up buying the complete Bluray set when it was on sale at Costco ... I wasn't able to get the The Dick Van Dyke Show bluray set at all :( so I hope CBS releases that set as well ...)

oh and
NO 3D No Sale! :D
;)

Last edited:

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'd been thinking lately that a nice toaster oven could be a very useful thing, and it would be my first in many years.

However, since RAH has deemed this not to be my lucky day, I'll just have to carry on.....while remaining incredibly happy that I acquired all of these on first Blu-ray release.

The Twilight Zone has been a mainstay of my viewing life, and I might just pop a disc into the microwave player this evening.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'd been thinking lately that a nice toaster oven could be a very useful thing, and it would be my first in many years.

However, since RAH has deemed this not to be my lucky day, I'll just have to carry on.....while remaining incredibly happy that I acquired all of these on first Blu-ray release.

The Twilight Zone has been a mainstay of my viewing life, and I might just pop a disc into the microwave player this evening.
I'm sure if this was Warners you would get a miniature door to another dimension (perhaps where people use Singin in the Rain umbrellas by by people who've summoned staff by ringing their Downton Abbey bell to fetch their Rhett Butler handkerchief to wipe the crystal of their Wizard of OZ watch !) :O

Although you would think that it would come with a book of S & H Green Stamps (or Gold Bond or Blue Chip) ! :wacko:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
$84 is the preorder street price this week.
If you need more enticement -- BN is supposed to be running a 40% off MSRP on all TV sets deal starting on release day 12/13 (and then a different sale 40% Bluray instore 12/20) + 20% off discount codes appear to be active (maybe even a 25% coupon sometime in the week) so $57-61 and if you're a BN member then in-store price could be $50-55 -- a downright steal over the next couple weeks.
I can't tell you about store stock, but if you really want one from the store I'd call and reserve a copy for pickup.

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
I've had this pre-ordered for quite some time. I've never seen a single episode, so I'm looking forward to seeing them all for the first time. The pricing on this set meant that I could finally take the leap and make a blind buy.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I had procrastinated on the Image set and had vowed to buy it if the price ever dropped below $100 which it rarely did. I pre-ordered this one early and am now locked in to a $71.39 price. Unbelievable bargain at $14.XX per season.

Last edited:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Great to have confirmation this has all the supplemental content and is in compact packaging. I have the "Definitive" DVD set and it's gigantic. Although, I recall it being comparatively small compared to the early unremastered DVD boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks