What's new

Bad Day At Black Rock (1955) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81ZON1W2FiL._SX522_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay. I get the hint. ;)

Will now purchase this blindly.

Keep me updated on anything else I should buy.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Another Criterion laserdisc that, at last, can be retired. However, the commentary on the laserdisc with Director John Sturges is one of the best ever recorded -

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/09/listen-director-john-sturges-better-film-school-commentary

Pity Warner Archive weren't able to license it.

Great, Titch! Many thanks. The sound quality is excellent (320 k) and I can probably synch it up pretty closely with the film. Have you any other of these rare Criterion commentaries on mp3? I do have the unedited laser disc-only commentaries from DR. NO, FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE and GOLDFINGER (wedded to very nice DVD transfers), which I guess are rare, as Criterion pulled them due to the producers' objections to some critical comments. But there are bunches of other laser commentaries I would love to acquire.

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
There were a handful of laserdisc commentaries on that website

http://criterioncommentaries.com/collection

After moving, I packed my laserdisc player away and have boxed all my laserdiscs, waiting for that opportunity when I'd be able to rip the commentaries and post them; I don't think that day will ever come!

The Criterion commentaries were really unique when they started out. Apart from the Bad Bay Day At Black Rock one, John Sturges also recorded a commentary track for The Great Escape laserdisc, which is different from the track he recorded for the MGM DVD. There is a fascinating excerpt in the book DVD and The Study Of Film: The Attainable Text, which details how Bruce Eder recorded the commentaries using a DAT tape recorder and recording under a desk in the Janus headquarters when the boss was out!

https://books.google.no/books?id=21...ges criterion commentary great escape&f=false

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched this tonight, and I was very, very pleased with the video and audio quality. The movie, of course, has always been a riveting one, and I LOVE how measured everything is so that we get information slowly and methodically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks