What's new

Super Mario Run (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Having not played a Nintendo console for ten years or so, I was hopeful Super Mario Run would be a good game to way to indulge a bit in Mario.

Unfortunately for me, it requires internet access:
http://www.macrumors.com/2016/12/09/super-mario-run-internet-to-play/amp/

Not a problem for most people. But this is a game I'd want to play on airplanes, which isn't possible. I'll wait and see. Maybe it will be worth buying just for weekend, out and about idle playing.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The always on requirement killed off any interest I had in the title. Sometimes Nintendo seems to have a way of cutting of its nose to spite its face.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ars Technica has more info
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/12/super-mario-run-online-only/

For us, we view our software as being a very important asset for us. And also for consumers who are purchasing the game, we want to make sure that we're able to offer it to them in a way that the software is secure, and that they're able to play it in a stable environment.

We wanted to be able to leverage that network connection with all three of the [Super Mario Run] modes to keep all of the modes functioning together and offering the game in a way that keeps the software secure. This is something that we want to continue to work on as we continue to develop the game.

But actually, the security element is one of the reasons that we decided to go with iPhone and iOS first. So this is just—based on the current development environment—a requirement that's been built into the game to support security and the fact that the three different modes are connecting to the network and interacting with one another.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
But then people would have pirated it, meaning there was no point in making it in the first place.

Honestly, I don't have an iPhone and I kind of have no interest in this. If you want an offline Mario experience....there's always the 3DS.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
But then people would have pirated it, meaning there was no point in making it in the first place.

Honestly, I don't have an iPhone and I kind of have no interest in this. If you want an offline Mario experience....there's always the 3DS.

Which is exactly why I bought one before Thanksgiving. I got the lime green 3DS XL from Amazon. So far, I have bought two digital games from the eShop and have about a dozen more on my wish list, two 3DS carts and five DS carts. I like this system and games so much better than the PS4 that I sold mine last weekend and am going 100% Nintendo for gaming systems.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

See, I don't get that. This game will probably sell pretty big. Maybe if they didn't require an Internet connection there might be some piracy, but how much of a loss would it actually be vs. those who aren't going to bother because of the required internet connection.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Historically-speaking, the loss would be immense. Even if they had 5 million legitimate installs/purchases, there would be 10 million pirated ones. There's a lot of data regarding piracy, especially of mobile games.

Let's be honest, who here uses their phone to play games ONLY when there's no internet connection? I get that it might be inconvenient that you can't play it on an airplane (without paying for the wifi, though some airlines have it for free) but really, when do people NOT have access to internet on AN IPHONE. If you have an iPhone, then you have a data plan and you have nearly-constant access to 4G internet.

I really don't see what people are so upset about.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I bought SMR.

Visited an old friend and he said it's great. He also explained that it's not locked to a single device. It will sync across devices with a Nintendo account.

The online issue is a big weakness, but I'll find $10 of fun the next two weeks or so, if nothing else. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Historically-speaking, the loss would be immense. Even if they had 5 million legitimate installs/purchases, there would be 10 million pirated ones. There's a lot of data regarding piracy, especially of mobile games.

Let's be honest, who here uses their phone to play games ONLY when there's no internet connection? I get that it might be inconvenient that you can't play it on an airplane (without paying for the wifi, though some airlines have it for free) but really, when do people NOT have access to internet on AN IPHONE. If you have an iPhone, then you have a data plan and you have nearly-constant access to 4G internet.

I really don't see what people are so upset about.
I'm an edge case, but most of my mobile gaming is on airplanes or in airports (where wifi can be bad or non-existent). That's why I am annoyed by the online requirement.

But it's Christmas vacation, and I've got time to play $10-worth. I haven't played a Mario game in a decade, and it's fun to do something from Nintendo, weaknesses and all.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And here's why online requirement is annoying. I was in West Virginia (in a pretty busy area with lots of restaurants and hotels) but the network was Extended 1X. And SMR won't play.
IMG_8420.jpg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That said, with toys everywhere Christmas morning, the nieces wanted to play Mario on my iPad. It's a big hit!
E46647B5-2B3F-4552-B99B-7D855ED7CD64.jpg

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Just uninstalled it, I got all the black coins and 9999 on road rally so the game is effectively over. Thank god, dopamine time suck is done

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Wow! I've been playing since Christmas and am not even at two coins per level, and maybe 500 toads from the Rallies. I don't see how I'd ever max out the game! :)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Wow! I've been playing since Christmas and am not even at two coins per level, and maybe 500 toads from the Rallies. I don't see how I'd ever max out the game! :)

The things I learned is to finish the coins of one color then proceed to the next color and do all those, purple coins seemed impossible at first but after getting the pink coins the first purple stages were not that difficult.

Second, use Luigi as much as possible to get the purple and black coins, some levels more or less require yoshi, but using Mario is a suckers bet to get most of the coins, don't bother, get Luigi asap.

Third, when trying to get the coins, finish the level as many times as possible, I only restart if I miss the first coin if it requires perfect timing. finishing the level logs all the enemies you beat, the enemies will level up several times and each level up awards you more coins for every one of that enemy you beat. Those bonus coins from killing enemies makes toad rally easier to win.

Fourth, toad rally awards more toads as you beat players with multi digit rankings, by the end I was getting 25-75 toads every rally I won so it doesn't always go so slow. And pay attention to which toads are displayed for the toad rally levels, airships will give you all five colors of toads, and generally award much more total toads than other levels. But mushroom kingdom levels only award red toads, the other levels award combinations of red toads plus one or two other colors. By focusing on specific levels you can target particular colors of toads.

Fifth, do combination jumps, spins, and rolls as much as possible in toad rally to get as many likes as possible, they will also charge your coin rush meter, hopefully you'll be able to get two coin rushes per rally.

Finally when coin hunting, give yourself a limit, I would only let myself do four levels a day, one world basically, so that made me concentrate on clearing just those couple levels, but gave me options for switching to avoid frustration, but not so many options I completely forgot the levels I was working on.

Also you get nothing for maxing out at 9999 so don't bother

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for this tips. I've got Yoshi and Princess but no Luigi. I only discovered how to change characters last week.

I've been doing 2/3 coins-sets per level, going level by level. I'm doing a few Rallies daily, too.

On the Rallies I realized I can target players with more Toad colors to better round out my population. And losing tends to cost less than winning, so a few losses to get a win is usually break even, at worst.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks