What's new

The Dick Van Dyke Show: Now In Living Color! (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
170262_front.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had NO idea this was going to be offered for sale. I'm so looking forward to seeing the episodes tonight, and this might be a lovely addition to the Blu-ray Dick Van Dyke Show set that's so special.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
$25 is too steep for 2 episodes. I would pay $2.99 per episode if they made them available on iTunes though!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
So... 2 eps @ ~$25 and it's a MOD?!? And it doesn't say if they were originally filmed in color for some reason or simply colorized. No way... No sale...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
To answer your question, they were filmed in black and white but colorized for this release. They are airing tonight on CBS; this disc is the same program that will be broadcast.

I appreciate CBS making an HD version available for sale. They've aired a newly colorized I Love Lucy each year, but only release them for sale on SD DVD.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I had NO idea this was going to be offered for sale. I'm so looking forward to seeing the episodes tonight, and this might be a lovely addition to the Blu-ray Dick Van Dyke Show set that's so special.
I agree. Hopefully the price will come down a bit when an actual release date is announced . AMAZON usually lowers the price as the released date is announced, and very often sends a refund if the item ships at a lower price.
But , where does it say it's MOD?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
$10 is the sort of price where I'd consider it. $25 is close to half of what the complete series on Blu-Ray cost me, and is just ridiculous even if the complete series release hadn't been a steal.

Since this is just a curiosity anyways, I'd settle for the DVD version if that at least reaches stores at a proper price point on pressed media.

But , where does it say it's MOD?

Under important production information.

"This product is manufactured on demand in the BD-R format. It will play in nearly all leading Blu-ray players that have the latest firmware updates. Microsoft Xbox One, however, does not currently support BD-R playback."

So I guess TDVDS is gone from Image, too?

Their licenses expired months ago for all three CBS programs that they put out (The rights for Combat! also expired).

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Yes , I see now that it IS AN MOD. I wonder if this will reach retail stores like the I love Lucy colorized shows have ?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yes , I see now that it IS AN MOD. I wonder if this will reach retail stores like the I love Lucy colorized shows have ?
Being that it's a MOD, I'm guessing it's a no go for first sale Brick & Mortar outlets.

I'm PVRing these as I type this! I'd prefer the Black & White episodes, but unfortunately, both the Blu-ray and prior DVD Season and Series set releases are now priced way out of my reach! :(

CHEERS! :)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
They got expensive after several years of the complete Blu Ray set running from $50-$70?

Was still $65 just a month or two ago on Amazon. Of course that's not cheap and I don't know your budget, but it's at the low end of the scale for this hobby for the content contained within. So I assume it must be $100+ these days.

Maybe you could find a deal on the old DVD sets that Image originally released? It's not 100% perfect, but I don't think too many of us would've been sad if it had never been superseded. They were nice transfers even if they were from 2nd generation prints, and Image did a nice job all around with those original releases.

My complete series set has seen a lot of use and the discs still get watched on my standard definition CRT even though I own the Blu-Ray release.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've watched both episodes. There are tiny little cuts in each in order to run more commercials (like they did in the Andy Griffith and Lucy shows that were colorized).

The colorization to me looked very natural and most appealing, and I' loved the little touch of preceding the special with the old CBS color logo. Brought back lots of memories from long, long ago.

The shows themselves are as wonderfully funny as they have always been. Among the best that TV has ever presented.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The old CBS in color promo at the start of the show was a nice touch.

I'm still not a fan of this process and don't find it particularly convincing even though it's leaps and bounds above 1st generation attempts at it during the early days of cable television, but enjoyed it just the same thanks to being a big Dick Van Dyke Show fan. Some care clearly went into it, such as the colorization of the kitchen.

I didn't do a 1:1 comparison with the color photos out there that we've all seen of the kitchen set, but what I saw looked pretty much as I remember it looking in those photographs. So they didn't just do what they thought looked good, they must've referenced some old photographs and at least attempted to make it look accurate to the period.

If that Blu-Ray was $15, I think I'd bite just to make my collection complete. But $25 is too much for a disc that will viewed infrequently at best. I can live without this.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I was impressed with the quality colorization of these two great Dick Van Dyke Show episodes...a color palette carefully considered and under the care of Paul Brownstein, I assume...beyond hardcore aficionados of our collecting community, we don't need them colorized, of course...but in talking to friends and family tonight, this treatment and network airing has really reached well beyond our small fraternity and delighted a lot of casual and younger fans...so, at least they may discover the comedic genius behind this all time great show...like I Love Lucy, I would hope they would make a Christmas tradition of doing this again in years to come...God knows, there's no shortage of great episodes to choose from...

I'm glad I have the entire Image series set on blu-ray...and that I got it for $60 on an Amazon one day sale...now that the home video rights have reverted back to CBS, along with TZ and Combat!, I would love for CBS to do a new HD remastering of Combat!...and re-release the complete series without the old timesped World Vision transfers...preferably on blu-ray if I'm allowed to dream...

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
They got expensive after several years of the complete Blu Ray set running from $50-$70?

Was still $65 just a month or two ago on Amazon. Of course that's not cheap and I don't know your budget, but it's at the low end of the scale for this hobby for the content contained within. So I assume it must be $100+ these days.

Maybe you could find a deal on the old DVD sets that Image originally released? It's not 100% perfect, but I don't think too many of us would've been sad if it had never been superseded. They were nice transfers even if they were from 2nd generation prints, and Image did a nice job all around with those original releases.

My complete series set has seen a lot of use and the discs still get watched on my standard definition CRT even though I own the Blu-Ray release.
The series sets are definitely NOT anywhere near the $50-$70 price point range on Amazon Canada, these days! If only!! :(

Perhaps it was just my dumb Charlie Brown luck coming into play, but it seemed whenever I price checked our Amazon, the great deals for THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW were nowhere to be found! :blink:

CHEERS! :)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Tony, sorry to hear that you missed out on Amazon Canada's one day sale (August 31) on the complete Dick Van Dyke Show series blu-ray...I pulled the trigger on that at $79.99 Canadian dollars...about $60 U. S.,...I would hope that the Image sets come back on sale, and that CBS perhaps re-issue the complete series, as they have recently done with Twilight Zone...

anyway, best wishes on finding an affordable deal in the near future...as you can see, I'm in Canada too and up against all the same frustrations as to pricing, currency exchange rates, and availability...But those automated pricing algorithms on Amazon sometimes yield better deals than what's available to our U.S. friends...for instance, right now the forthcoming VEI release of Petrocelli is priced at $44 Canadian...about $33 U. S.(!) On amazon .com it's at $66.66 U.S....so, half price (sans S+H) for our American friends to get a deal on to their advantage...and, I have often gotten better pricing on Amazon Canada pre-orders than what I see were available on it's U.S. parent...ha, ha, there's no logical explanation, just bits and bytes in an algorithm...

When I see such bargains, my bony, arthritic finger amazes me at the speed that I punch those keys at to lock in said deals...

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
45 minute run time.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dick-Van-Dyke-Now-in-Living-Color/22893

Hopefully that's the usual inaccurate information, since it should be 3 or 4 minutes longer. What CBS aired definitely was cut, such as the scene in Coast to Coast Big Mouth where Richie calls the office. The joke he tells his father over the telephone was cut entirely.

Would be pretty pitiful if those cuts carry over to the home video release.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
In the case of the Lucy and Andy DVD releases,yes, they present the program on disc exactly as it aired with the same breaks for commercials and the cuts. They also provide the original black and white versions separately and complete.

I don't see why they'd do any differently with Dick Van Dyke even if it is on Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks