What's new

Play vinyl without a turntable. WOW! (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
"One of the biggest downsides of vinyl is the inconvenience of using it on the go." Garbage! Anyone who thinks listening to vinyl "on the go" makes sense need his or her head examined.

The whole point of listening to vinyl in this digital age is that in many subtle ways it sounds better. In other words, it's for serious listening, not for background music. When you're "on the go" you are rarely able to do any serious listening, so what's the point of vinyl?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Robin,

I have a different view....

Undoubtably, and with absolutely no argument, vinyl needs to be listened on a system suitable to bring out its subtle nuances.

However, I think there are many that may be in my position....

First, I no longer have a turntable setup on my main stereo system which sits in my Home Theater room.

Secondly, the reason being, I don't have time to sit and listen to music. At least, not at this point in my life.

I think, like most people, music is listened on portable devices, whether it be in the car or on some sort of bluetooth connection within the home.

When I can't sit in a dedicated room, it's better to have a centralized speaker that plays music in the background when I am moving throughout the house.

This is where a product like this serves its purpose. I would venture to say you could place a vinyl album in your suitcase and play it in a hotel room while away from home.

I get your point, Robin, I really do. However, there are people out there -- including myself -- that would jump on a product like this.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This is where a product like this serves its purpose. I would venture to say you could place a vinyl album in your suitcase and play it in a hotel room while away from home.

I get your point, Robin, I really do. However, there are people out there -- including myself -- that would jump on a product like this.

I remember the days of traveling with a bag full of cassette tape recordings of my favorite vinyl LP's, along with a Sony Walkman and extra batteries. I much prefer how I travel today -- with even more of my favorite music stored on a iPod Nano that fits in the case of my high quality Etymotic earbuds. While the product is certainly interesting, Ron, I just cannot see a situation where I would want to pack any vinyl while traveling.

I still have a bunch of vinyl LP's, but haven't played them in over 20 years. I have copies of all that music digitally, and my turntable is no longer connected to my home theater. I rarely sit down for critical listening anymore, even with the small collection of SACD and DVD-Audio I own and can play on my Oppo DVD player. Like most people, my music listening happens mostly now either in the car (have a 32GB USB stick permanently plugged in), while traveling using the iPod Nano, or streaming as background music at home using our Amazon Echo devices. It's sad that I just do not sit and "listen" anymore, as my sound system for the home theater is better than anything I owned during my pure vinyl days.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Back to da fitties!

e56urdt6urst5e.jpg

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
If its like that old sound car thing you can kiss your records goodbye using it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
How does it stay in the groove? At the speed of rotation required, I would expect the mass of the thing to constantly pull it out of the groove.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
There once were portable battery-operated record players. The two that I saw did not look like they would be kind to a record, and they did not strike me as high-fidelity playback devices. This device lets an external Bluetooth speaker system (or headphone) handle sound reproduction, but how faithful is it at picking up the raw sound information?

Perhaps you'd be better off using a computer to record the songs from your LPs (using AIFF, WAV, or some lossless compression format). You could load the files onto an cell phone or a portable music player for use with high-quality headphones or speakers. Even with full-size files, it would be a lot easier to carry LPs this way than to carry them in your luggage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks