What's new

Scanner Problem? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have a 27" 4K iMack on OS 10.12.2 Sierra. Recently when I use CS6 to run my Epson Perfection 2480 Photo flatbed scanner, I get an an error like "scanner reported an error during overview scan" or the same for a scan. I have used setting to delete the scanner and re-add it and that fixes the problem temporarily. Later that same day the problem comes back.

I went to the Epson site and downloaded the latest drivers (which I may have had already) and that has not fixed the problem.

A google did not reveal a problem with Sierra so now I'm wondering if I've got an honest to goodness hardware issue, i.e. my scanner is failing.

Anyone have an experience along these lines?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Johnny,

There is a bug with Adobe drivers as well as those for some scanners that use software like ScanSnap.

It was fixed in a beta then broken in another.

At this time, I am not certain what that status is -- but I think it effected the betas only.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Do you mean beta for the scanner or for photoshop? My scanner is several years-old and CS6 was the last version you could buy before the subscription crap started.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No, it's a Mac Yosemite issue.

I don't generally throw people to other sites, but go to: forums.macrumors.com

Go into their Yosemite area. Ask the question there. You will get a more definitive answer. Those guys are on top of all the bugs. I try to keep up --- I know there is currently one out there -- but I am not certain which version of Yosemite has it and which fixed it then broke it again.

Then report back here.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I found an "EPSON Scan.app" on my mac and ran it. The scanner appears to work just fine, but when the scanning is done the app disappears.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
No, it's a Mac Yosemite issue.

I don't generally throw people to other sites, but go to: forums.macrumors.com

Go into their Yosemite area. Ask the question there. You will get a more definitive answer. Those guys are on top of all the bugs. I try to keep up --- I know there is currently one out there -- but I am not certain which version of Yosemite has it and which fixed it then broke it again.

Then report back here.
BTW, I'm on Sierra which is mentioned in my first post.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The only issues being reported on rumors was the snapscan stuff and this is not a snapscan scanner. I even searched my mac for snapscan and it is not on my mac.

Went over to the adobe provided forums and a found a fellow suggesting vuescan as a standalone app. Went to there page and found there even have a versions for Sierra. Installed it, it froze up halfway thru a scan. Rebooted and it scanned successfully and then I tried and second scan and it froze up without scanning.

Startting to look like maybe the scanner itself is failing.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
BTW, I'm on Sierra which is mentioned in my first post.

My apologies. I forgot which operating system we are presently on. I meant Sierra. So, substitute Sierra wherever I said Yosemite.

All these mountain names are starting to get confusing. :P

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The other day I got on the line with Epson tech. They had me jumping thru hoops. Plug the usb into a different port, try it on my wife's iMac (still didn't work even though she's not on Sierra). Nothing would get the scanner to work.

Today I went over to my neighbors to try his 64 bit Windows 7 pc. Turns out Epson doesn't have 64 bit driver, right on the driver page it said try Vuescan. Tried that and no dice, did not work.

He had a 32 bit XP machine and there were drivers for it and the scanner worked. Not just for one scan but for several. The scanner is fine but Epson isn't providing a Sierra driver for it.

This link:` https://epson.com/Support/wa00818
shows a page where epson says they are providing drivers for Sierra on an ongoing basis.

This link: https://epson.com/faq/SPT_SIERRA-NS~faq-000000B-sierra
shows a page listing steps to get the scanner to work. Tried it and it didn't help but I may do it again to be sure I didn't screw it up.

I think those two links make it clear that Epson is doing a poor job of supporting Sierra.

This link: https://smile.amazon.com/Epson-Perf...4792983&sr=8-1&keywords=epson+flatbed+scanner
is for a scanner that looks good. Under the questions and answers one person says it works on Sierra and under reviews, someone says it doesn't. Guess I could order it and return if it doesn't work.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I now have the Epson Perfection v600 Photo Scanner. It was getting good reviews on Amazon. However, one reviewer said yes it works with Sierra and another said it didn't. I ordered and figured I'd return if it didn't work. It works with Sierra.

I than noticed that if I scanned using CS6 that an image was imported into PS and opened normally. Another image was saved as a file on the hard drive. I do not want this, I want the image I imported to be the only version when I save it.

Research indicates this is the way it works, and has been doing this for a while and my old scanner was doing this too and I had not noticed. I've found images I didn't know were being saved.

This scanner has four buttons on the front. One for create a pdf, email an image, make a copy, and start a scan. None of them worked. A talk to Epson tech support revealed I needed to download more software outside of the standard package that is required to make the scanner work. You'd think they'd make them part of the standard software package.

It's odd how a little thing can be confusing. There's a power button on the side and when I pushed it nothing happened. The button doesn't light up at all and I thought I couldn't turn the scanner on. Than after several minutes I noticed that a power light on the front of the scanner was turning on and off as I pushed the button. Once I expanded my horizons I realized the scanner was working normally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks