Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Neil Middlemiss

Pan's Labyrinth Blu-Ray Review

baquero_monstre-1024x696.jpg

The dark and magical originality of Guillermo del Toro’s Pan’s Labyrinth is most deserving of its continued praise and popularity. A labor of love that saw del Toro waive his directorial fee and other remunerations to protect realization of his vision. That unbridled passion and uncompromised dedication to vision is merely the opening salvo to the cinematic gifts Del Toro has at his command. He may have lost the purity of his voice with his English language productions (like Pacific Rim and Crimson Peak, regardless of how much fun or beautiful they may be), but his ability to speak in the voice of cinema with such knowledge is never far away.

[review]
Read more.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
It certainly is an adult fairy tale with a very violent scene near the beginning which prompted some walk outs when I saw it theatrically.
However I am very glad I stayed. Wonderful film but I'm happy with the previously released BD.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Finally got around to watching this release last night with a friend who'd never seen the film before. Beautiful picture and sound.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I've been on the purchasing fence for only one reason.
Having already owned the first BD, should I do the upgrade on just the individual offering, or do I hold out and buy the Criterion trilogy?
Has anyone seen the trilogy?
Decisions, decisions.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Having already owned the first BD, should I do the upgrade on just the individual offering, or do I hold out and buy the Criterion trilogy?
I picked up the trilogy set on sale about a month ago -- I've not had time to watch PL from it yet, but Cronos was absolutely stunning. The packaging is really nice too, and includes a really nice book. All told it was well worth it for me.

Hoping to watch the Devil's Backbone from this set in the next couple of weeks, then Pan's after that.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks