What's new

Sound Issues (1 Viewer)

Gary Peden

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary
Hello. I have a home theater system I've hooked up. Or so I think I've hooked up. Actually, I haven't had many issues with these things in the past but I'm stumped. I have a samsung tv (un55c6300), a denon receiver (avr 1312) with a sat/cable box (hd) and a polk audio sound bar/sub combo (6500bt) and an apple tv box. Initially i had the digital audio cable taking audio from the sat box or apple tv box to the sound bar. But depending on what i was using, i might have needed to unhook the digital cable from the back of the sat or apple tv box and plug it into the one i was using. A guy at the audio store suggested i run the optical digital cable from my digital output on my tv to the sound bar, but since doing that, I haven't been able to get any sound. My sat box and apple tv box all plug into my denon receiver and then i use an hdmi cable from denon receiver to the tv. Picture is fine, but no sound. Initially i thought i could plug the sound bar into the receiver but he said I couldn't do that because they are both amplifiers. Am I doing something wrong?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’d suggest making a decision if you want to go with a soundbar or a receiver. They are two entirely different methods for achieving audio for video; you can’t “mix and match” them. If you go with the soundbar, you need to get one that has enough inputs, with the right type of connections, to accommodate all of your source components.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
There are passive soundbars that would work for you, but they are more expensive than the typical active soundbar.
I didn't do an exhaustive search, just grabbed a couple examples:
http://www.paradigm.com/products-current/type=soundbar
https://www.definitivetechnology.com/products/mythos-ssa-50

You would use these with your Denon receiver. They give you the compactness easy wiring of a sound bar, and the better sound of discrete channels. That said, they're no match for good individual speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks