What's new

Video rental store still thrives in streaming age (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
We have a Family Video rental store a block up the road and use it all the time. It's super cheap and selection is good (DVD and Blu, doubt they will ever go with 4K, too niche), including older titles and TV shows. They rent kids videos for free as well. It's a great place and always busy.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Is Redbox holding up? I thought I read somewhere they were struggling, or at least cutting back a lot more.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I miss the mom & pops so much around here. Such great memories of leaving with a heavy bag of cassettes, and some of those would go for a mint on ebay (like Jokes my Folks Never told me, try and find THAT gem). Even the Blockbuster store that put them all oob is oob. Although a new m&p opened 1 or 2 years ago. Had the best collection of wrestling (rasslin!) videos I've ever seen in my life! I guess he cornered that market.

Last edited:

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
In Portland, we still have Movie Madness, and they seem to make it on the fact that they have a really, really large collection of out-of-print and hard to find videos, including cult, documentary, and other rare films.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Streaming or cable PPV is fine if you're not looking for 3D content. Good luck getting anything in 3D without having to buy the disc outright. I'm in New York City and I can't seem to find a store that's still open from where I could rent 3D blu rays -- and Netflix's disc rental service barely seems to carry any.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Our Family Video used to offer a few 3D discs, but I haven't seem too many if any lately.They usually sell off slow renting discs after a few months.

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Is Redbox holding up? I thought I read somewhere they were struggling, or at least cutting back a lot more.
My guess is that they've dwindled along with the overall DVD market, but in my area there's a Redbox at every McDonald's location. (Must be some deal the local franchise made, I guess.)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Good for the. We have several Family Videos around and I try to frequent them when I can. I had to return something to Redbox the other day when we picked up something on a road trip. I noted how weird it was to be there interacting with a machine while other people stood off to the side, shuffling their feet, and avoiding eye contact as they waited their turn.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
We have one rental store left standing after all the others closed. They've got a big banner saying "We're here to stay!" in the window, but they've had to diversify with a snackfoods section as a sideline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks