15965411_1423866864313970_1934118273888161585_n.jpg

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
• Brand new 2K restoration of the film from the original camera negative
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
• Original mono Italian and English soundtracks (lossless on the Blu-ray Disc)
• Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
• New audio commentary by Tim Lucas, author of Mario Bava: All the Colors of the Dark
• New audio commentary by Troy Howarth, author of The Haunted World of Mario Bava and So Deadly, So Perverse: 50 Years of Italian Giallo Films
• From Quatermass to Caltiki, a new discussion with author and critic Kim Newman on the influence of classic monster movies on Caltiki
• Riccardo Freda, Forgotten Master, an archival interview with critic Stefano Della Casa
• The Genesis of Caltiki, an archival interview with filmmaker Luigi Cozzi
• Archival introduction to the film by Stefano Della Casa
• Alternate opening titles for the US version
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Kat Ellinger and Roberto Curti

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've never seen this movie, or don't remember it. What's it like? Is there another movie to compare it to? I enjoy B movie schlock. How would it compare to "The Monster that Challenged the World"?

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Never thought Id ever see this get a blu-ray release ! :)
The best movie cross reference would be The Blob or the Flame Barrier. It's pretty creepy, atmospheric in gritty black and white. Some gore too.
Just Google Caltiki and you will see some trailers and stuff on YouTube

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Never thought Id ever see this get a blu-ray release ! :)
The best movie cross reference would be The Blob or the Flame Barrier. It's pretty creepy, atmospheric in gritty black and white. Some gore too.
Just Google Caltiki and you will see some trailers and stuff on YouTube
Watched a trailer and quickly watched sections of the whole movie on youtube. My impressed is that Caltiki makes The Monster that Challenged the World look like Citizen Kane. It's schlock, but not schlock I would have fun with. YMMV.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Saw THE BLOB at the drive-in when it ran in '58 and I remember the trailer for CALTIKI...but never went to see it.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I actually like it more than the original Blob which has a tongue in cheek approach. Caltiki is gritty, with some gore and I also love the blob creatures , and enjoy it as much as The Monster That Challenged the World to be honest. I love monster movies from this era, especially when they are in B&W. :)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Not familiar with ARROW Video, but I'm looking forward to seeing this film . I actually saw this as a kid in a theater back in the early 1960's and didn't think much of it . I'm sure I'll enjoy it now .

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It is a lot of fun, and key in that it united two of Italy's great genre filmmakers, director Riccardo Freda (his HORRIBLE DR. HICHCOCK is available on Blu from Olive, in its US cut) and, handling effects, future director Mario Bava (whose BLACK SUNDAY, BLOOD AND BLACK LACE, etc., are well represented on Blu-ray).

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Does anyone know if this is a region free release? I was going to order it through Amazon and a friend mentioned to me that Arrow blu rays usually can't play in USA blu ray players. Usually Amazon mentions about the region and unless one has an altered player, the disc won't play, but Amazon doesn't mention any possible domestic playing problem. I went to a few other sites...one said region B, but 3 others had region 0 or didn't mention the discs playability in different regions. I don't want to order it unless I am sure it can play on my domestic Oppo player. Thanks.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Following all these mentions of The Blob, I have to mention that the only time I've seen Caltiki was coincidentally at one of the annual BLOBFESTS at the Colonial in Phoenixville, PA. They couldn't find a print anywhere, and made the decision to screen what they had determined was the best DVD available. Picture was a little murky -- which may have been due as much to the way the film looks as to being a DVD. But it projected surprisingly well and the late show audience enjoyed it.

I've had mine on pre-order for a while, and look forward to seeing it, enjoying the extras, and finally replacing my own off-the-air copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks