What's new

Films in two different aspect ratio versions (1 Viewer)

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
I watched The Robe (1952) US BD again recently, with its 2.55:1 CinemaScope aspect ratio, and wondered if the alternate 1.37:1 version is available to buy or watch anywhere in its entirety? On VHS perhaps – or was that simply the widescreen version cropped? The flat version was, of course, made for cinemas that didn't yet have the requisite lenses and screens to project and display the new widescreen AR.

With the BD and 2-DVD releases of John Wayne's epic western The Big Trail (1930), we were lucky enough to get the 70mm Grandeur widescreen and separate 'flat' English language version. I find it fascinating to watch each on alternate viewings for (literally) a whole different take on the film. Likewise with The Bat Whispers (1930), issued on a long-deleted Image DVD in both its flat and 65mm Magnifilm versions. I'm sure everyone here's aware of Oklahoma! (1955), also available in both its 70mm Todd-AO and 35mm CinemaScope variants.

What other films have been made in two completely different OAR versions? That is to say, entirely distinct from each other, composed and shot separately, with different takes, angles, edits, runtimes, etc? Are there any others with both versions on BD?

EDIT:
After a lot more digging and some of the suggestions so far, here's a list of multiple-aspect ratio version films or MARVs*:
  • Around the World in 80 Days (1956)
  • Bad Day at Black Rock (1955)
  • The Bat Whispers (1930) – both versions on DVD
  • The Big Trail (1930) – both versions on DVD and BD
  • Billy the Kid (1930)
  • The Black Shield of Falworth (1954)
  • Brigadoon (1954)
  • A Bug's Life (1998) – animation; both versions on DVD and BD
  • The Command (1954)
  • Danger Lights (1930)
  • Fox Movietone Follies of 1929 (1929)
  • The Great Meadow (1931)
  • Happy Days (1929)
  • Kismet (1930)
  • Knights of the Round Table (1953)
  • Lady and the Tramp (1955) – animation; both versions on DVD and BD
  • The Lash (1930)
  • Oklahoma! (1955) – both versions on DVD and BD
  • The Robe (1952)
  • Rose Marie (1954)
  • Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954) – both versions on DVD
  • Sign of the Pagan (1954)
  • A Soldier's Plaything (1930)
  • Song o' My Heart (1930)
  • The Student Prince (1954)
Surprisingly, though I expected most to date from the final transition to widescreen in the early 1950s, it's a fairly even split between those and ones from the studios' first concerted experiments with widescreen, soon after the transition to sound. There are many more besides from both eras that were planned but never produced or ultimately not completed. Sadly, as with so much of film history, many of the variant versions – and sometimes both – do not survive.

I didn't initially consider animated features because they aren't 'shot' as such. However, the examples here have been largely recomposited to fit an academy ratio frame, so I guess they still count! That being said, I'd have thought there'd be more examples.

*Seems a good name for them, analogous to multiple-language version films or MLVs.

Last edited:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Don't forget THE BAT WHISPERS (1930) was filmed in 65mm and 35mm.

Edit: sorry already mentioned. That's what I get for trying to work and read HTF at the same time.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Andy Warhol's THE CHELSEA GIRLS? When I saw this film in NYC upon it's original release it, was projected onto three separate screens. It ran for almost 3 and a half hours. I also saw it again many years later and it was shown on a single screen and with a running time of only 90 minutes approx.

HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE ? The first film completed in cinemascope but released after THE ROBE.

CAROUSEL ?

THE KING AND I ?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers included the simultaneously shot "flat" version in the 2-disc SE DVD version, but has yet to be released on Blu-ray.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
James Cameron's Avatar. There were 2.35 and 1.85 versions, theaters were instructed to project whatever version would be bigger in their auditorium.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Vegas1, Hondo was shot in one aspect ratio: widescreen, protected for 1.37 screens There are no two separate versions, unless you mean 3D and 2D. Reference Bob Furmanek's research.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Those of you who are bringing up open-matte films matted at various aspect ratios are completely missing the point. He's talking about films shot in two completely different formats. Here's a more recent example. Pixar prepared a special 1.33:1 version of A Bug's Life where they completely rearranged the elements to fit in the new ratio.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Disney's Sleeping Beauty and Lady and the Tramp were released in two totally different aspect ratios. They had two sets of layouts for each scene and photographed the versions separately

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone; there are more than I thought. I've now edited my OP to include a list – keep 'em coming!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Disney's Sleeping Beauty and Lady and the Tramp were released in two totally different aspect ratios. They had two sets of layouts for each scene and photographed the versions separately
That's not correct on Sleeping Beauty. It was only shot in Technirama though the 2.55:1 aspect ratio was cropped in the release prints to 2.20-2.35.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The funny thing about Lady and the Tramp is that even though Disney had this 1.37:1 version of it, when they released it on videotape, they released a pan and scan of the 2:55:1 version. Dumb.

The believe a laserdisc of the flat version was eventually released as well as a letterboxed Cinemascope version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks