Continuity of setup! (1 Viewer)

Donald S Pissott

Auditioning
Real Name
Donald
Cant find any info on equipment setup!
I have DirecTv Genie HR-54
Yamaha RX-A1060
LG OLED 65" They all have video and audio setup, Anybody have an idea on setup as the signal
flows through them all. There must be a proper setup for continuity thru the 3 units.
Sound thru Geni and AV Rec
Video thru Geni ,AV Rec, LG OLED
Not sure I stated this the way I intended
But lets give it a try

Thanks, Don.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The easiest and best way to connect these three devices is Genie->HDMI->Yamaha->HDMI->LG (assuming the LG accepts HDMI, but you didn't provide a model number for the LG).
Why do you want to separate the video and analog signals?

Donald S Pissott

Auditioning
Real Name
Donald
I knew that my question would not fly! Thanks for your reply! They are all connected via the latest HDMI 2.?. I do not want to separate the audio & video. I am talking about the internal adjustments of each unit as we progress the chain. I have in my opinion a sub par picture on the oled. I wonder the best setting for the Geni which would flow to the AVRec then the settings of the AVRec to the TV! These must all inter act with each other and the results are the video on the tv and sound on the speakers thru the avrec. Hope this is informative without being mundane! Thanks, Don

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
If you're connecting via HDMI from the source to the AVR to the TV then you're as good as you're going to get. If you used quality cables then it's something on the settings.

What exactly do you not like about the picture quality? What is the TV doing that makes you think it's not up to spec?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Assuming too that Don subscribes to HD service and is viewing HD channels to determine pic quality.I know if I watch the SD version of a channel (Nick comes to mind) you will for sure notice the decline in pic quality between the two.

I have an old school Directv DVR and a mid level 3 year old LCD TV and the pic 1quality on HD channels is quite nice IMO.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I was kind of thinking the same thing Alf but I was thinking the lack of 4k on a DVR/STB is the cause. If you're expecting a 4k picture on a DVR/STB then you're going to be let down as most of them only do 720 or 1080 at best. If you want 4k you'll have to go with another streaming device (Roku, Firestick ect) in my experience.

Donald S Pissott

Auditioning
Real Name
Donald
I gave away a 7yr old Panasonic58" Plasma,it blows the socks off this rather expensive 65" OLED. I have everything you should have for a great picture. I get that blurring when you are close to the TV. One example,People sitting talking and the blurring is around the eyes.The overall pic is just not as good. The old tv you could be on top of it and pic near perfect, 720,1080I. Also the pic is better on broadcast over the air when the signal does not travel thru the GENI or the Yamaha RX-A1060. This is why a posed the original question is the signal being degraded while traveling thru these devices because of adjustments whithin each one passing the signal to the next? All this stuff is new! ArmSc, are you saying that HDMI latest is all you need and adjustment of individual units is not necessary?

Thanks for your i/p. Don

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yes, Donald...welcome to the forum! :D

:welcome:

You keep telling us what you particularly don't like about what you're seeing and our guys will do their best to help you out. The more detail the better! :thumbsup:

Good luck!

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Donald,

What HD channels are you watching that you dislike the look of?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
All are HD correct..not their SD counterparts.

Genie/DTV box shows it's outputting 1080i or p correct?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Ok here are some simple tests

1. Have you tried another HDMI port on the TV? Use another port to see if gets any better.
  2. Is the TV/AVR doing an upconvert to 4k? Can you set the resolution to 1080 on either component? If so try it and see what happens.
  3. Plug the Genie into the same HDMI port that the AVR is plugged into. By running the genie directly into the TV we can eliminate or confirm that the AVR is the problem.
  4. Do you have BRP or another video source? If so what does it's picture look like? If it's good run it through the AVR does it get worse, better or the same?

Donald S Pissott

Auditioning
Real Name
Donald
Hey! Solid suggestions am looking forward to trying these. Will not get to it for a couple of days will be away. Bear with me I will get back to you.

Don

Donald S Pissott

Auditioning
Real Name
Donald
Ok here are some simple tests

1. Have you tried another HDMI port on the TV? Use another port to see if gets any better.
  2. Is the TV/AVR doing an upconvert to 4k? Can you set the resolution to 1080 on either component? If so try it and see what happens.
  3. Plug the Genie into the same HDMI port that the AVR is plugged into. By running the genie directly into the TV we can eliminate or confirm that the AVR is the problem.
  4. Do you have BRP or another video source? If so what does it's picture look like? If it's good run it through the AVR does it get worse, better or the same?
I got to this sooner than anticipated. Did not try any hardware changes. I did seem to get some good improvement by turning off the 4k on the avr and the Oled. Dont know if these up conversions of non 4k material are working that well. Also someone online suggested to use the Cinema setup on the Oled. Will watch this config for awhile. Now at least there are more things to try if not happy. You got me going in the right direction. Thanks! Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks