What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Hellraiser: The Scarlet Box -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Clive Barker's Pinhead is one of a handful of prickly horror creations that not only have spawned extremely successful franchises, but have kept fans in thrall.

Arrow Films obviously knows this, and has made every effort to create a boxed set inclusive of the first three films in the series, that hits all the right notes.

Before one even gets a chance to examine the internal packaging, or extract a disc, the external box makes an impression, as it harkens back to Lemarchand's Box, Lament Configuration.

We'll make this short and sweet. All three films were harvested via 2k, beautifully cleaned, and just what Pinhead ordered.

Hellraiser shows its original course grain structure, while Hellbound and Hell on Earth are far less obvious. I'm presuming a change in film stocks. No problem.

Color is meticulously timed throughout all three films.

Perfect black levels.

Highly resolved image.

The Scarlet Box was due to be released late last year, but I'm not certain how many became available. Having just received product, to me it's a 2017 release. Regardless, of the year in which this has been issued, it's the finest horror release in ages.

One note regarding audio.

The first two films default to what sounds to be a form of two-track stereo. If you desire 5.1, you'll have to switch to that format.

A superb release, that will both take up a great deal of shelf space, while thrilling fans. I cannot see a way that this release could have been bettered.

Extras abound, including an extra disc, packed with material, and a 200 page hardbound book.

Cheers to Arrow!

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
The first two are among my favorite horror films. I haven't bought them since the DVD days, so this is a must-buy.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The original Hellraiser has always suffered from subpar video presentations so it's good to hear this doesn't.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The first two films are still quite wonderful. After that... well, most have their charms but aren't particularly great. Wish I could afford this one as I resorted to buying an old Anchor Bay DVD set for 2 so that I could get the supplements. The image quality on the film leaves a lot to be desired on that DVD set, sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks