What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Love in the Afternoon -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
What might one say about Billy Wilder's 1957 Love in the Afternoon, that has not been already said?

It's an extraordinary romantic comedy, so rare these days, with a brilliant screenplay by Mr. Wilder and I.A.L Diamond, that if one could pop in one's mouth, would offer a cornucopia of flavors, before it began to melt away, like the finest Hors d'Oeuvre.

The image was harvested from a recently produced fine grain master, derived from the original camera negative.

Grain structure, black levels, shadow detail, and resolution, are all perfectly placed and reproduced.

No information offered here as to story. Suffice to say that the two leads are Gary Cooper and Audrey Hepburn with support from Maurice Chevalier.

Just grab this one, pop in your Blu-ray player, and allow the player to savor the flavors of this extraordinary entertainment.

A perfect film, and required viewing of anyone who fancies themselves a lover of the cinema.

Warner Archive does it again. Absolute perfection!

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

And the gypsies...

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I tend to fall behind on WAC releases in November and December every year, because in those two months, I always have two distinct insurance payments (home and auto) plus the first installment of property taxes.

This year, when I catch up on the Nov-Dec WAC releases, I will certainly be adding Love in the Afternoon to my order. Am I remembering correctly that this is another opportunity to replace a DVD-snapper case?

Reactions: PMF

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
. . . I will certainly be adding Love in the Afternoon to my order. Am I remembering correctly that this is another opportunity to replace a DVD-snapper case?

You remember correctly. I don't have a problem with snapper cases. For me the real reason to upgrade is that the images on the DVD are tired and feeble. Mr. Harris makes clear this Blu-ray disc is a very substantial upgrade. I am very, very pleased.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I concur with Mr. Harris - a seriously great transfer of a frothy and wonderful Wilder movie and one that's seriously underrated, seriously. I seriously loved every minute of it and laughed out loud several times. Hepburn is so lovable and beautiful in this, and I always love Mr. Cooper, and Mr. Chevalier is also at his best here. Add in John McGiver giving a hilarious performance and it's entertainment with a capital E. Just buy the damn thing already.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I concur with Mr. Harris - a seriously great transfer of a frothy and wonderful Wilder movie and one that's seriously underrated, seriously. I seriously loved every minute of it and laughed out loud several times. Hepburn is so lovable and beautiful in this, and I always love Mr. Cooper, and Mr. Chevalier is also at his best here. Add in John McGiver giving a hilarious performance and it's entertainment with a capital E. Just buy the damn thing already.

But no love for the Gypsies?!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Love In The Afternoon 8.jpg

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Deleted by PMF; re-write on following post.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
In "A Few Words About...The Fortune Cookie", Robert Harris opened his February 2017 review by saying;
"It's a good time to be a Billy Wilder fan".
And, man, he wasn't kidding.
Indeed, 2017 turned out to be THE best BD year ever; in terms of those who've hungered to expand their Billy Wilder libraries.
Kino Lorber ended this year with their 2018 release announcement for "Irma La Douce" with a 4K scan;
while recently releasing "One, Two, Three" and "Avanti!".
Twilight Time filled a major historical gap by giving us the aforementioned "The Fortune Cookie".
And Arrow has restored "The Apartment" with a 4K scan, as well.
But this is WAC's thread; and the 2017 Billy Wilder wave began very early with their "Love in the Afternoon".
In re-reading some of RAH's reviews of Wilder releases, I was taken by the fact that "Love in the Afternoon" had only 4 posters in discussion with RAH between January 24 - February 14. Thereafter, not a peep or a post for a good 10 months.
I own "Love in the Afternoon" and everything matches up transfer-wise to RAH's review; which should come as no surprise.
Plus, we've got Wilder-Diamond, Cooper, Hepburn and Chevalier, no less.
With all this, I've found it curious as to how little discussion there's been.
Nonetheless, with the holidays in full-force, I just wanted to remind everyone about this offering, as well as recommend it.
You all know your tastes better than I could, but those who haven't yet seen this film owes it to themselves.

Happy Holidays,
PMF

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks