Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

The Mad Magician 3D Blu-ray Review

madmagiciantop-1024x751.jpg

A popcorn movie of pure entertainment produced impressively in 3D, that’s John Brahm’s The Mad Magician.

[review]
Read more.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
file_748496_3Dlove6.jpg

This "lesser" imitation of HOUSE OF WAX (1953) emulates much of what is good and (unfortunately) what is also bad of its source-of-inspiration.

For example, one thing I came to dislike about HOUSE OF WAX (1953) is how Sue Allan (Phyllis Kirk) was just too darn suspicious of the suavely cultured Professor Henry Jarrod (Vincent Price) on the slimmest of provocations.

From the very outset we clearly witness that Jarrod's Joan of Ark wax figure is identical in appearance to the ill-fated Cathy Gray (Carolyn Jones) and there is no real reason for the heroine to believe that it's anything but an accurate reproduction of the original wax figure that was destroyed in a fire. As Jarrod factually states he tends to draw from "life" for his inspiration.

This unconvincing plot contrivance is repeated once again in THE MAD MAGICIAN (1954) with the two comic landlords (Lenita Land and Jay Novello) one of whom happens to be a mystery writer with an overactive imagination.

There is some tragic irony here as once an individual rashly steeps their hands in blood the need will inevitably arise once more to kill again. And poor inevitable Don Gallico's dire fate is pretty much sealed from the outset.

There is also a strong parallel to THE LODGER (1944) with a mysterious, haunted stranger taking residency at a boarding house managed by a busy body husband-and-wife (Ie. Sir Cedric Hardwick and Sara Allgood).

In addition the perversely grim similarity in that the unsavoury individuals whom Gallico dispatches rightly got their just deserves. Once again as in THE LODGER (1944) audience empathy is totally with the so-called villain of the piece.

This is a role that could have been aptly suitable for the late Laird Cregar and Vincent Price is very much becoming his successor at this point in time.

Not necessarily a great film by any means but well worth it for seeing Vincent Price capably establishing himself in the limelight as a bona fide star (and making the horror genre all his own).

6a017d4117b2c6970c019104348add970c-pi

Jeff T.

;)

Last edited:

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Matt Hough

The Mad Magician 3D Blu-ray Review

madmagiciantop-1024x751.jpg

A popcorn movie of pure entertainment produced impressively in 3D, that’s John Brahm’s The Mad Magician.

[review]
Read more.

Was amazed to see this get a 3D release, looking so amazing up on the screen and Columbia's final 3D movie. If you love 3D history you will not want to be without this in your collection and a limited run as well. Thank you Twilight for another goody.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
HELP!! I finally got around to watching my copy last night. The 3D was practically non-existent (Oppo 203, 2013 Viera ST60). I checked the settings and recharged my glasses. No change. Put in the House of Wax disk and it was as superb as its always been. Any suggestions?

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Dick,

I'm sorry to hear about your trouble. The Mad Magician should look excellent in 3-D.

I have an Oppo UDP-203. Try going into the 3-D settings of the Oppo player and change the "Auto" setting to "Forced".

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
That exact thing happened to me on one of the KL 3Ders. Even though this is a TT flick, go to the CHAPTERS and start the movie from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks