What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon

Weekly RoundUp 2-21-2017

WRU-Banner-16-9-1024x661.jpg

Where to find the Best Deals on Movies & TV Shows on 4k/UHD, Blu-ray and DVD…

The Features

full

– Hacksaw Ridge – 2016

full

– Manchester by the Sea – 2016

full

– Mildred Pierce – 1945

full

– Nocturnal Animals – 2016
full

– The Boyfriend – 1971
full

– Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown – 1988

full

– Panther Girl of the Kongo – 1955
full

– Deluge – 1933

The Prices

full

The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.
Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

UHD
Amazon
BestBuy
Target

Bad Santa 2 (Blu-ray 4K) (Broad Green) (BB EXCLUSIVE)

$26.99

Hacksaw Ridge (Blu-ray 4K) (Lions Gate)
$26.99
$26.99

full

Blu-ray
Amazon
BestBuy
Target

3 Classic Films by Claude Chabrol: Betty, Torment and the Swindle (Cohen Media Group)
$34.99

Bad Santa 2 (Broad Green)
$17.96

$17.99

Beauty and the Beast (2016) (Shout! Factory)
$12.99

Black Widows (Gravitas)
$19.99

Boyfriend, The (Warner Archive)
$21.99

Deluge (Kino)
$29.95

Doctor Who - The Return of Doctor Mysterio: 2016 Christmas Special (BBC)
$14.99

Evelyn (Olive Films)
$12.99

Goodnight Brooklyn (Gravitas)
$19.99

Hacksaw Ridge (Lions Gate)
$19.99

$19.99

King Solomon's Mines (1985) (Olive Films)
$12.99

Klansman, The (Olive Films)
$12.99

Level, The (Series 1) (Acorn Media)
$26.49

Manchester by the Sea (Lions Gate)
$19.96
$19.99
$19.99

Mildred Pierce (1945) (Criterion)
$26.19

Needlestick (Gravitas)
$19.99

Net, The (Sony)
$26.99

No Retreat No Surrender (Kino)
$19.99

Nocturnal Animals (Universal)
$19.96

$19.99

Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis (Sony)
$26.99

Panther Girl Of The Kongo (Olive Films)
$12.99

Police (Olive Films)
$12.99

Psychomania (Arrow Films)
$18.99

Seasons (Music Box)
$24.99

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (Criterion)
$26.19

full

DVD
Amazon
BestBuy
Target

Air Bound (Lions Gate)
$12.89

Bad Santa 2 (Broad Green)
$14.96

$14.99

Beauty and the Beast (2016) (Shout! Factory)
$12.96

Big Girls Don't Cry...They Get Even (Warner Archive)
$17.99

Black Widows (Gravitas)
$16.99

Blume in Love (Warner Archive)
$17.99

Casablancas: The Man Who Loved Women (First Run Pictures)
$13.99

Challenge to Lassie (Warner Archive)
$21.99

Doctor Who - The Return of Doctor Mysterio: 2016 Christmas Special (BBC)
$9.96

Evelyn (Olive Films)
$19.95

Everybody's All American (Warner Archive)
$17.99

Fatal Instinct (2014) (Monarch)
$13.99

Goodnight Brooklyn (Gravitas)
$16.99

Grace and Frankie (Season Two) (Lions Gate)
$22.99

Great & The Small, The (Breaking Glass Pictures)
$14.99

Hacksaw Ridge (Lions Gate)
$14.99

$14.99

Heaven Sent (Lions Gate)
$9.96

Homeland: Iraq Year Zero (Kino)
$29.95

It Watches (Uncork'd Entertainment)
$12.99

Joe Bullet (Film Detective)
$14.99

Kill Granny Kill (Bayview Entertainment)
$11.99

King of New Orleans, The (Candy Factory)
$14.99

King Solomon's Mines (1985) (Olive Films)
$8.99

Klansman, The (Olive Films)
$5.99

Lady's Morals, A (Warner Archive)
$21.99

Last Best Year, The (Olive Films)
$19.99

Lou Grant - The Complete 4th Season (Shout! Factory)
$29.96

Mama Sherpas, The (Kino)
$19.99

Manchester by the Sea (Lions Gate)
$14.96

$14.99

Marinoni: The Fire in the Frame (First Run Pictures)
$13.99

Mildred Pierce (1945) (Criterion)
$19.69

Mrs. Soffel (Warner Archive)
$17.99

Nashville (The Complete Fourth Season (Walt Disney)

Needlestick (Gravitas)
$16.99

No Retreat No Surrender (Kino)
$13.99

Nocturnal Animals (Universal)
$17.96

$17.99

Panther Girl Of The Kongo (Olive Films)
$8.99

Seasons (Music Box)
$29.95

Sophie and the Rising Sun (Monterey)
$16.99

Speed Sisters (First Run Pictures)
$13.99

Tie the Knot (Monarch)
$13.99

Tormented / House on Haunted Hill (Bayview Entertainment)
$9.99

Two Big Boobs (Bayview Entertainment)
$19.99

Viking Legacy (Lions Gate)
$12.19

Whistling in the Dark (Warner Archive)
$21.99

Woman Against Woman (Warner Archive)
$21.99

Women in Cellblock 9 (Full Moon)
$14.95

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (Criterion)
$22.99

The Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

The Specials

--Best Buy, this week, has an EXCLUSIVE UHD 4K RELEASE of Bad Santa 2. Info is in the price grid.

--Best Buy also has a “Buy Two, Get One Free” sale on select titless. Choose from up to 40 titles. Titles shown include (all Blu unless otherwise noted):

$7.99: Neighbors, Trainwreck (DVD), The Purge Anarchy

$9.99: London Has Fallen (DVD), Love Actually, Ted 2 (DVD)

$11.99: Straight Outta Compton, Warcraft, Huntsman: Winter’s War

--The following recent releases are on sale this week at Best Buy (all Blu-ray unless otherwise noted):

$14.99: Sleepy Hollow: Season 3 (DVD), Bones: S11 (DVD), Sherlock: S4 (DVD)

$17.99: The Girl on the Train, Boo!: A Madea Halloween, The Magnificent Seven (2016)

$19.99: Arrival, Trolls, Victoria: Season 1

-BB is also encouraging pre-orders at BestBuy.com/PreorderMovies of the upcoming Doctor Strange, Moana and Teen Titans films.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends: And, BB is advertising a series of “Deluxe DC Sets” which include character figurines for $12.99: Justice League: Gods & Monsters, Batman: Bad Blood.

--Target this week has an EXCLUSIVE STEELBOOK RELEASE of Hacksaw Ridge on Blu-ray. No pricing premium for the honor of getting the steelbook!

--Target Odds and Ends: Target has a list of $10 DVDs: Ponyo, The Legend of Tarzan, Hell or High Water, Cinderella, Kubo and the Two Strings, Star Trek: Beyond.
Read more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hellooooooooooooooooooo, Rounduppers! :D

What a week! Lots of releases--new and catalog! Nearly something for everyone!

Get buying! Shop safe!

And thanks for likes to the OP! :thumbsup:

Youse guys is great!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Women on the Edge and Mildred Pierce via the Target B2G1 sale from last week

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll pick up Manchester By The Sea this week. At some point, I'll get Nocturnal Animals and Mildred Pierce.

Hacksaw Ridge is well worth a rental for those that haven't seen it yet.

Thanks for the prices, Mike! :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
There are still a couple of titles on this week's list I've put in to review, but no review copies have emerged (as yet). I already have two releases for the last week in February which I'll start on tomorrow if nothing from this month's previous releases don't arrive. (I have weekend house guests or I'd start on them this afternoon.)

Thanks for the RoundUp, Mike.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Criterions will be on the shopping list during the presumed Criterion.com Flash sale in the next week or two (best guess 2/28 or 3/7). I would probably have gotten them through the B2G1 target sale except I have a significant amt on Criterion GC and finally made it to my $50 Rewards Cert during their Double Points deal after Christmas.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thanks Mike! There's a few things on the list this week I want to see, but not own. I'll end up Redboxing them on a night Andrey is working...he'll have no interest in these titles (Hacksaw Ridge, Nocturnal Animals, Manchester by the Sea). :)

I may check out BB's B2G1 sale; I looked at Target's yesterday and nothing really caught my eye. Then again, I was looking at the $5 and $10 racks, so... ;)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm a bit later than usual in checking in this week, but thanks for your work as always, Mike.

Nocturnal Animals is one hell of a movie, and I really want it, but there's so much else coming out lately (not to mention I still haven't been able to pick up Arrival from last week yet) that I might wait for a price drop on it later in the year. The fact that it is almost barebones supports the idea of waiting on it. That being said, I would certainly encourage a rental for anybody who missed it in the theaters. It's great.

Although I recognize I am in the extreme minority on this, I vehemently hated Manchester by the Sea in theaters. The acclaim for that film, and its Best Picture nomination, completely escapes me. I found it ridiculously overlong, poorly edited and severely uninteresting to watch, focusing on unsympathetic characters who I had no reason to like or invest in. So, I'll be skipping that and wouldn't recommend it to others either.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Nocturnal Animals is one hell of a movie, and I really want it, but there's so much else coming out lately (not to mention I still haven't been able to pick up Arrival from last week yet) that I might wait for a price drop on it later in the year. The fact that it is almost barebones supports the idea of waiting on it. That being said, I would certainly encourage a rental for anybody who missed it in the theaters. It's great.

Although I recognize I am in the extreme minority on this, I vehemently hated Manchester by the Sea in theaters. The acclaim for that film, and its Best Picture nomination, completely escapes me. I found it ridiculously overlong, poorly edited and severely uninteresting to watch, focusing on unsympathetic characters who I had no reason to like or invest in. So, I'll be skipping that and wouldn't recommend it to others either.

It's funny but for me it was the total opposite in that I did feel for the characters in Manchester by the Sea (they seemed like real people) and I felt nothing for the characters in Nocturnal Animals (they seemed like poses more than people and they were basically all clowns and jerks). However, I did enjoy both films. I'd love to hear what you loved about Nocturnal Animals, Jake, as it is a film I really want to discuss with people and what you felt about certain aspects of the film.

I have been trying to generate a discussion in the review thread for the film posted by Matt Hough here but so far it seems that few people here have seen it and so not much is being said about it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, I don't really want to derail the Roundup thread, but, briefly:

Why should I root for either of the characters in Manchester by the Sea? The kid (Lucas Hedges) is right that Casey Affleck shouldn't care where he lives since he has basically no life, but I didn't find myself caring whether Hedges stayed or went, because he was so abrasive to everyone and two-timing the girlfriends with each other, which made me really not like him, and I really wanted the two of them to find him out. In Nocturnal, I would agree that Amy's character does not live a lifestyle that I can relate to, but I was invested in her story anyway as it related to Jake G., and because I write fiction, I was really fascinated by the duality of the narrative and how the novel spoke to their relationship and her ex-husband's perception of it. I also really thought the central road rage incident was one of the most thrilling scenes I've seen in a while. I would agree that perhaps they aren't very likable either, but I was more taken on the journey in Nocturnal, whereas my hatred of the Manchester characters prevented me from enjoying the movie at all,really. I can't be more specific than that because it's been a while since I saw the films, both in December, and I would probably have to view them again to give a more specific analysis. I do look forward to owning Nocturnal Animals at some point, but March is unusually packed for me, which is why I'm waiting for a price drop on it, given its barebones nature. Just can't get all the releases at once. And as far as Manchester is concerned, I will fully admit that the actors did a good job with the material they were given; I just happen to really dislike that material.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, I don't really want to derail the Roundup thread, but, briefly:

Why should I root for either of the characters in Manchester by the Sea? The kid (Lucas Hedges) is right that Casey Affleck shouldn't care where he lives since he has basically no life, but I didn't find myself caring whether Hedges stayed or went, because he was so abrasive to everyone and two-timing the girlfriends with each other, which made me really not like him, and I really wanted the two of them to find him out. In Nocturnal, I would agree that Amy's character does not live a lifestyle that I can relate to, but I was invested in her story anyway as it related to Jake G., and because I write fiction, I was really fascinated by the duality of the narrative and how the novel spoke to their relationship and her ex-husband's perception of it. I also really thought the central road rage incident was one of the most thrilling scenes I've seen in a while. I would agree that perhaps they aren't very likable either, but I was more taken on the journey in Nocturnal, whereas my hatred of the Manchester characters prevented me from enjoying the movie at all,really. I can't be more specific than that because it's been a while since I saw the films, both in December, and I would probably have to view them again to give a more specific analysis. I do look forward to owning Nocturnal Animals at some point, but March is unusually packed for me, which is why I'm waiting for a price drop on it, given its barebones nature. Just can't get all the releases at once. And as far as Manchester is concerned, I will fully admit that the actors did a good job with the material they were given; I just happen to really dislike that material.

First, thank you for taking the time to reply and giving your thoughts. Nocturnal Animals is a film I have really wanted to discuss so I am very grateful you gave some thoughts on it. So, if this discussion continues feel free to post further comments in the Nocturnal Animals review thread and I would love to continue to talk about it if you are interested.

So, in response to your comments above:

Affleck's character in Manchester by the Sea can't return to live there because that is the town where his children died in the fire and so everything there reminds him of them and that tragedy. Plus his ex-wife is still there and his brother and his goal seems to be to live alone and shut them all out. He does not want to relate to all that. I was sympathetic to how he felt so I guess for me the emotional side of that worked for me. Living like a hermit in a basement is the easiest and safest thing for him at that point. His nephew sort of avoiding his feelings as well by not dealing with his father's death and immersing himself in sex with girlfriends, playing with his band, etc...also seemed a normal response for a teenager and we see he only deals with his emotions when some meat falls out of the freezer and they kick in by surprise.

On Nocturnal Animals, yes, I liked it but I really felt it was all style no substance and was a little too clever for its own good. I saw the visualization of the novel as sort of an issue because I knew what we were seeing was how she was imagining it as she read it...which to me was telling me things about Susan and how Edward felt about her...and because I knew that aspect of the story was Edward's fiction I knew as we watched those scenes nobody was actually in jeopardy...they were just characters representing the main characters emotions and thoughts. So, I mean as I watched the "novel" scenes play out I knew that the actual action that was taking place was just Susan sitting home in bed reading the book. Nobody was in danger and in reality what we were learning was what crappy people all these characters are. This brings me to the second issue with the "novel" scenes and that is that they were more fun than the actual "real" story featuring the main characters Susan, Edward, and Hutton...who were really just a collection of crappy human beings. I mean Susan is just an awful person that crapped on Edward aborted his baby and obviously jumped right into bed with Hutton who she left him for. She's also a lousy artist and knows it and spends her time around a bunch of crappy phony people so she leads a pretty lousy life but she knows she is rich so she should be happy. I mean she comes across as both a jerk and a moron. Edward seems like a giant loser because he actually pines for this woman and takes 20 years or something to write a novel which he dedicates to her and is meant to be his act of revenge on her. This is a person that you definitely want to tell "Jesus, Eddie, get a life!"

So, the characters are all totally self absorbed and lost in their own personally created hells which makes them amusing and it makes it sort of funny to see them all punished for their blatant stupidity and horrible approaches to their lives. But the most fun is Bobby Andes because he hilariously torments characters in the "novel" including Tony as he puts him in obviously horrible and painful situations which he sort of forces him to deal with. Apparently Bobby represents Edward's id and holy cow is Shannon awesome in this bit.

So, there are some thoughts to start and if you want to dive deeper in for fun I'm game.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It may be a little late, but I discovered Target has a 15% Cartwheel coupon for the DVD, Blu-ray, and UHD versions of Hacksaw Ridge. It was out when I tried to rent it last night so I ended up buying it at Target on UHD. With the 15% of $26.99 plus the 5% Red Card discount, it wasn't too bad.

On a side note, it was a blind buy for me and we thought it was fantastic. The presentation on UHD is also very good and it's the first UHD disc I've watched with special features on the UHD copy of the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks