What's new

Planning Home Theater Setup (1 Viewer)

DarthChowder

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam Rolfson
I am brand new to the forum and am looking for some advice.

Summary:
I am having a house built and should be done in June/July time-frame. They don't offer installing wall speakers and I would like to go that route. I am not looking for a super high end setup, as cost if a concern, but would like to have 5.1 surround.​

What I need:
EVERYTHING!!! (sorry about the caps)

Some Questions:
What is a good cost friendly brand for speakers?
Do I need to consider the ohms of the speakers and the receiver?
What is a good cost friendly receiver that is compatible with 5.1?
Are there any helpful guides with things that I need to know to go down this road?
What advice would you give me before starting this?
I have just started looking into this. I am a techy, but kinda ignorant when it comes to building up a surround system. (my experience has been with boxed all in one units that require no brain power)
I am not sure on my budget yet, but wanted to get the wheels turning to see how realistic this is.

If you need more information or want to give your opinion I will try to respond as quickly as possible.

DonKernz

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
I am brand new to the forum and am looking for some advice.

Summary:
I am having a house built and should be done in June/July time-frame. They don't offer installing wall speakers and I would like to go that route. I am not looking for a super high end setup, as cost if a concern, but would like to have 5.1 surround.​

What I need:
EVERYTHING!!! (sorry about the caps)

Some Questions:
What is a good cost friendly brand for speakers?
Do I need to consider the ohms of the speakers and the receiver?
What is a good cost friendly receiver that is compatible with 5.1?
Are there any helpful guides with things that I need to know to go down this road?
What advice would you give me before starting this?
I have just started looking into this. I am a techy, but kinda ignorant when it comes to building up a surround system. (my experience has been with boxed all in one units that require no brain power)
I am not sure on my budget yet, but wanted to get the wheels turning to see how realistic this is.

If you need more information or want to give your opinion I will try to respond as quickly as possible.

What part of the country are you in? And I am curious why your builder doesn't have or work with a technology integration company.

DarthChowder

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam Rolfson
I'm in Oregon. Not sure why they don't, but was mentioned that we can't even go in and do it ourselves during the build process.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
At the bare minimum have them run the speaker wires before the drywall goes up. They'll have to use in-wall rated wiring to meet fire code. Many people run the wiring themselves after the contractors have left for the day. Later you'll add a wall plate; or better yet have them do that too so they include it when putting up the drywall. Doing just that will provide a clean look but make your life much easier, and has no added cost.

Receivers to consider are Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer, Marantz, Denon, and Harmon/Kardon. I like Yamaha so I listed it first, of the bunch, Onkyo has the rep of the most features for the least money; however, then went through a period where their quality took a dip. I think that's over, but I don't know directly. Get the lowest model, they all sound the same, you just lose features.

The only time you have to worry about matching speakers to the receiver is if you get 4 ohm speakers, then you have to get a receiver that can safely drive 4 ohms. Other than that, buy what you like.

Getting cheap in-wall speakers is a bad idea, because once they're in, you've put a hole there and they're really in. I like Axiom speakers, and they have in-walls, so what the heck I'll recommend those:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/m2-in-wall-speakers
http://www.axiomaudio.com/vp100-in-wall-speakers

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Out here in So Cal our new tract has the same rules. Can't do any building inside house while being built. We have 3 car garages, but not all in a row. They are called "TANDEM" garages. 2 in front and one behind. After about 4-5 houses, they can build another house with the room they save.

That garage space, in my case, was 12' x 17'. I converted into my HT. Couldn't be happier with my setup. Cost was around $27K for everything including equipment. This was done through a HT installer, I did nothing.

I would like to get a Epson 6040 PJ, an Onkyo 656 Receiver, a Panny 460 player and a new universal remote to replace what I have, shown below in my signature.

Everything I have now works great but would like to upgrade...maybe some day.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...parksplex-tandem-garage-ht.html#post_22372603

Last edited:

DarthChowder

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam Rolfson
Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately they do not offer to run speaker wire and our contract states we cannot do any work on the house prior to closing and getting keys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks