What's new

Billy Lynn's Long Half Time Walk (1 Viewer)

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Why Ang Lee opted to shoot this in 3D and at record-breaking frame rate is a mystery.
The movie itself is entertaining enough but it's anyone's guess how realistic it is. Frankly, I wouldn't trust the soldiers shown here with anything more dangerous than a water pistol.
A few scenes benefit from the 3D process but they don't really make much impact.
Pulling focus from background to foreground is not a good idea in 3D as it seems to make the eyes work harder than they should. Having anything out of focus in any movie is a mistake but in 3D it's practically criminal.
The 120fps frame rate does however show up Steve Martin's apparently over-botoxed forehead perfectly.
I can see why it bombed at the box office given the gung ho times we seem to be living in. Questioning the US' and the US military's contribution to world peace just isn't the done thing if you want to pull in an audience.

Howard Tom

Agent
Real Name
Howard Tom
Why Ang Lee opted to shoot this in 3D and at record-breaking frame rate is a mystery.
The movie itself is entertaining enough but it's anyone's guess how realistic it is. Frankly, I wouldn't trust the soldiers shown here with anything more dangerous than a water pistol.
A few scenes benefit from the 3D process but they don't really make much impact.
Pulling focus from background to foreground is not a good idea in 3D as it seems to make the eyes work harder than they should. Having anything out of focus in any movie is a mistake but in 3D it's practically criminal.
The 120fps frame rate does however show up Steve Martin's apparently over-botoxed forehead perfectly.
I can see why it bombed at the box office given the gung ho times we seem to be living in. Questioning the US' and the US military's contribution to world peace just isn't the done thing if you want to pull in an audience.

The film isn't questioning the actions of the military, it questions the attitudes and opinions of almost everyone else who wasn't there.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I can put up with a lot. I like a lot of bad movies. I have an ingrained sense of willing suspension of disbelief better than most. And despite my nutter reputation on HTF, in general I try to be a positive force in out hobby. But.....

Haaaaaated it.

Hated the 60fps look. Hated the story. Hated the very unnatural acting and bad makeup that stood out in 4k.

About 2 minutes during the actual fake show were great. But not enough to raise this above an F minus for me.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I am a great fan of Ang Lee and I thoroughly enjoyed BILLY LYNN even though most people seemed to hate it. Everyone loved LA LA LAND but I was extremely disappointed with the film,despite the fact that musicals are my favourite type of movies.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bought the 4k release with 3D., Watched 30 minutes of it before I turned it off.

Just didn't grab me enough to want to watch the rest of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks