What's new

Richard Schickel has passed away (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I, too, have not been a fan of Schickel's DVD commentaries.

However, after reading his concise and cautionary book, The Disney Version (1968), in which he projected an increasing acceptance of and reliance upon advances in technology (specifically related to the creation and use of Audio Animatronics at Disneyland, which was exponentially true of subsequent theme parks), I became a follower of his. If you read that book now (still in print, I believe), you can see how prescient he was, and rather ballsy -- who else would have dared to speak out against a family icon back in the day?

Plus, Schickel did contribute a massive amount of important writing about film, and did his homework before committing it to paper. I think he was a good man, and I shall miss his simply being among us. He was one of the last surviving old-school, pre-Siskel and Ebert movie reviewers, and I shall miss his POV.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Liked the documentaries he was involved with like Woody Allen A Life in Film, The Men Who Made the Movies, and Spielberg on Spielberg.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
His series on directors called The Men Who Made The Movies was the second best documentary series on filmmaking... second only to Brownlow's Hollywood (he consulted on that one).

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
His series on directors called The Men Who Made The Movies was the second best documentary series on filmmaking... second only to Brownlow's Hollywood (he consulted on that one).

Yes I would love to see these again as well the movie star and other director documentaries such as the ones he did on Clint Eastwood and Vincente Minnelli . Perhaps TCM will do a salute to his documentaries .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks