What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Allied -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Allied, from Paramount, is the real thing.

A true 4k release, added to the very short list of 4k to 4k product, and it looks (and sounds) superb.

HDR is not overdone, which allows great black levels, along with proper tonalities.

As a film, it's good, while never great. A dash of The English Patient, along with a small sprig of Casablanca, it's a film that tends to allow us to not be terribly be surprised by the denouement.

Nonetheless, I'm recommending the disc, based upon 4k/4k, which reproduces the gorgeous production elements.

Definitely worth a spin.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD 5.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Im having trouble wanting to watch this. Watched a couple of trailers again, and it just doesnt bring me in.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We loved it. My 4K version is on preorder and we're showing 'Allied' with 'Hacksaw Ridge" in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater next week. That's right, it's WW II night at the Booth Bijou.

Mark

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yep, I streamed the movie this afternoon on Amazon Prime (in HD, not UHD). I got drawn into the story reasonably well, but I thought the game was given away by not shooting the woman at the celebration. After that, there was never any doubt in my mind about the answer Pitt's character is desperately trying to find. Still, there were some tense moments and some emotional ones, too, so I didn't feel like I had wasted my afternoon. But it could have been a great deal more suspenseful, more tautly directed, and tighter paced.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
When this 4k disc went on sale recently for ten bucks I picked it up, having not seen the movie since its theatrical release in 2016. This movie is nicely made, but it starts with something that seems implausible to me—that Brad Pitt's character is a native speaker of French. The French classes I took were thirty years ago, but even I can tell he doesn't have a native French accent. Anyway, good 4k presentation of this movie. Since I knew the reveal from the start I could watch it from a different pov from my first time. Robert Zemeckis has a strong filmography overall, but the last 20 years or so some of his films have struggled at the box office, and I think relative to costs this was one of them. But the money for this big budget movie is up there on the screen.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
When this 4k disc went on sale recently for ten bucks I picked it up, having not seen the movie since its theatrical release in 2016. This movie is nicely made, but it starts with something that seems implausible to me—that Brad Pitt's character is a native speaker of French. The French classes I took were thirty years ago, but even I can tell he doesn't have a native French accent.
Think of it as an extension of Inglourious Basterds when he's pretending he only speaks Italian. "Buongiorno." :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks