What's new

Question from a new home theater setup (1 Viewer)

Which surround speaker should I set to the same level as the rest of the system?

• Right surround

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Left surround

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Z906

Auditioning
Real Name
John Smith
Hi,

I have the Logitech Z906 5.1 surround sound system, but it doesn't allow me to independently configure right vs left channels. I can only configure the surround channels as one level.

My problem is that my couch is next to a wall so my right surround speaker is basically touching the wall but the left surround is out in the open in the middle of the room. As a result the right surround is louder by about 2.5db, my guess is because of the sound bouncing off the wall next to the right surround speaker directionalizing it, while the left surround speaker's sound is spread in multiple directions.

My question is, knowing that the right surround speaker will always sound louder than the left, should I set the level of the right surround speaker to that of the rest of the system and have the left be lower, or should I set the level of the left surround speaker to that of the rest of the system and have the right be louder? For extra context, I did my measurements sitting in the middle of both speaker's (which is the middle of the couch), but I always sit next to the right surround speaker (on the right side of the couch) when watching TV.

Thanks in advance.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
should I set the level of the right surround speaker to that of the rest of the system and have the left be lower, or should I set the level of the left surround speaker to that of the rest of the system and have the right be louder

So your options are have the left be lower or the right be louder? That's the same thing? If you sit near the right speaker then set it lower. as your will hear it more than the rest of the system.

Z906

Auditioning
Real Name
John Smith
So your options are have the left be lower or the right be louder? That's the same thing? If you sit near the right speaker then set it lower. as your will hear it more than the rest of the system.
The left will always sound lower than the right/front channels. My options are have the left surround lower than the other 4 channels or have the right surround louder than all other 4 channels.
If I were to lower the right because I sit next to it, then the left would sound even lower

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Blimey, so complicated. Why not just sit on the other end of the sofa, or is that too obvious? ;)

Better still: invest in a slightly more sophisticated audio set-up; one that can be better tailored to suit your needs.

If you're not interested in either of the above, I'd advise leaving all your speakers level-matched and possibly seeking some physical means to ameliorate the uneven volume issue. Good luck!

Z906

Auditioning
Real Name
John Smith
Blimey, so complicated. Why not just sit on the other end of the sofa, or is that too obvious? ;)

Better still: invest in a slightly more sophisticated audio set-up; one that can be better tailored to suit your needs.

If you're not interested in either of the above, I'd advise leaving all your speakers level-matched and possibly seeking some physical means to ameliorate the uneven volume issue. Good luck!
My GF sits on the other side, and I just bought these last month so I'm past the return window :) That's why my two options in the poll seem like my only option.

Last edited:

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I think I understand it now. You can only put both the surround speakers volume level up or down. If that's the case just get them to a comfortable level. Now move them up from the couch and angle them down so that you're not on top of the speakers. This will help both you and your GF hear better. Without being able to do a level adjust on each speaker I think this is the best solution.

Z906

Auditioning
Real Name
John Smith
I think I understand it now. You can only put both the surround speakers volume level up or down. If that's the case just get them to a comfortable level. Now move them up from the couch and angle them down so that you're not on top of the speakers. This will help both you and your GF hear better. Without being able to do a level adjust on each speaker I think this is the best solution.
But knowing that they will never sound the same, which should match the rest of the system?
Is it better for one to be louder than the rest or one to be lower than the rest?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
IMO, it's better to have one lower than the rest if you cannot re-position the speaker that is being loaded by the wall. Having a rear surround channel higher than the rest will cause your hearing to localize sounds coming from that speaker, especially if it is near your sitting position. It's better to level match or adjust the volume of the louder surround channel until it blends with the LCR front channels. You don't want to be at a volume level that causes your ear to start localizing the sound from any rear channel.

Most rear channel effects are ambient. A lot of the time there isn't much coming from them, so having one channel lower will be less annoying than having sounds from the rear drawing the attention of your ear from the front channels.

Z906

Auditioning
Real Name
John Smith
IMO, it's better to have one lower than the rest if you cannot re-position the speaker that is being loaded by the wall. Having a rear surround channel higher than the rest will cause your hearing to localize sounds coming from that speaker, especially if it is near your sitting position. It's better to level match or adjust the volume of the louder surround channel until it blends with the LCR front channels. You don't want to be at a volume level that causes your ear to start localizing the sound from any rear channel.

Most rear channel effects are ambient. A lot of the time there isn't much coming from them, so having one channel lower will be less annoying than having sounds from the rear drawing the attention of your ear from the front channels.
I was thinking something similar. Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks