What's new

Best of the West DVD? (1 Viewer)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I know CBS Home Entertainment hasn't provided an exact release date yet (remember it's an MOD through Amazon.com), but I hope that Best of the West on DVD will not meet the same fate as season 3 DVD set of The Adventures of Pete & Pete.

Even if they do (which I know is certain), there is the possibility of closing logo replacement. The one that should be on all 22-25 episodes of this Old West-themed series (the first since Gunsmoke was canceled in 1975, and a dozen years before The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.) would be this one:

(with the 1981 jingle---I've seen the complete closing credits of this series but the logo mistakenly uses the '79 jingle)

~Ben

Last edited:
Real Name
Nick M.
I was just going to pull the trigger on this and Amazon now lists this as currently unavailable. Has anyone ordered the set and received it?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I was just going to pull the trigger on this and Amazon now lists this as currently unavailable. Has anyone ordered the set and received it?
First we had to deal with Nero Wolfe (1981 TV series) being temporarily unavailable this past June, and now this?

Seeing this, I wonder if Amazon and CBS are trying to renegotiate their contract right now? Has Amazon stopped taking pre-orders of other CBS DVD releases?

The only way you'd be satisfied is if you sign up to be notified when this title is available for purchase again.

~Ben

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The CBS Syndication Bible says nothing about this show. Perhaps they need new film-to-video transfers first.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
The CBS Syndication Bible says nothing about this show. Perhaps they need new film-to-video transfers first.
Yet the same index says nothing about The Young Lawyers nor When Things Were Rotten, even though those short-lived series had been available made-to-order from Amazon since last December and in 2013, respectively!

~Ben

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
The set is DVD-R (for those who care). The original Weinberger/Daniels and Paramount closing logos are intact on all episodes. The set is from older tape masters with varying degrees of artifacts, but good overall PQ, not HD good, but more than watchable, unless you're in the 500 inch, 16x9 crowd. The episodes run 23:53-25:07, with most episodes running an average of 24:45, correct for the era. The two-part They're Hanging Parker Tillman has the part two preview at the end of part one, as well as the recap at the beginning of part two. I am very happy to have this set, this is a very funny show (The Mail Order Bride is a particular favorite episode). Here's hoping for many more CBS MOD titles.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The set is DVD-R (for those who care). The original Weinberger/Daniels and Paramount closing logos are intact on all episodes.

You don't know how glad I am of that! Granted, I've never seen the show before, but I'm pleased as punch that the logos of the time are not whitewashed here.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
You don't know how glad I am of that! Granted, I've never seen the show before, but I'm pleased as punch that the logos of the time are not whitewashed here.
Having been shocked and delighted at the same time to see this info, has anyone checked their DVDs of The Young Lawyers yet to see if all the classic 1969 and 1970 Paramount TV logos are intact?

Again, when Decades re-ran the 1969 pilot episode, the classic 1968 Split Box I with the first 1969 theme stayed!

~Ben

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
And while I may be happy so far about the classic logo preservation efforts on this release, I don't know if they will stick around when the second pressings of this DVD are released (when Amazon says "In Stock" again)!

~Ben

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
The set is DVD-R (for those who care). The original Weinberger/Daniels and Paramount closing logos are intact on all episodes. The set is from older tape masters with varying degrees of artifacts, but good overall PQ, not HD good, but more than watchable, unless you're in the 500 inch, 16x9 crowd. The episodes run 23:53-25:07, with most episodes running an average of 24:45, correct for the era. The two-part They're Hanging Parker Tillman has the part two preview at the end of part one, as well as the recap at the beginning of part two. I am very happy to have this set, this is a very funny show (The Mail Order Bride is a particular favorite episode). Here's hoping for many more CBS MOD titles.
Todd,

Here's the Paramount Television logo I know that appeared on this series so far...

(1979 logo theme)

But what it should have had was this version...

(1981 logo theme - as taken from Police Squad!)

Have you checked all the episodes to be sure if they all have the '79 theme (above video) or if some of them had the proper '81 theme (below video)?

~Ben

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
And while I may be happy about the classic logo preservation efforts on this release, I don't know if they will stick around when the second pressings of this DVD are released!

~Ben

I should hope so! I wouldn't want you to get it by that second pressing and not have the logo situation the same as it was initially.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I may have another theory as to this title being temporarily shelved: disc shortage! Why? I assume this rare title was in high demand, hence why I believe it sold out so soon!

~Ben

Last edited:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
And while I may be happy so far about the classic logo preservation efforts on this release, I don't know if they will stick around when the second pressings of this DVD are released (when Amazon says "In Stock" again)!

I think it's highly unlikely they'd order up a set of new masters just to switch the ending logos (especially as Amazon will be presumably burning these themselves via their CreateSpace facility).

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
For those of you who did manage to get your copies of this series on DVD, has anyone provided an episode by episode review (as Doug Wallen had when discussing The Magician on DVD)? That would really help sales!

~Ben

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Nice to see the running times (and logos) are correct for the era. This begs the question of why CBS/Paramount could not do the same for Angie when supplying masters to VEI. Guess I'll be buying this instead.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I think it's highly unlikely they'd order up a set of new masters just to switch the ending logos (especially as Amazon will be presumably burning these themselves via their CreateSpace facility).
To each his own, but I don't get the point of being obsessed over a closing logo. If the show is watchable and uncut with no music replacements, I'm good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks