What's new

Windows Full Range Speaker Selection (1 Viewer)

Badies

Grip
Real Name
Michael
So I have a very unique temporary setup for my home theater. I currently run all my movies off of my computer (which performs all of the receiver's tasks). Before anyone tells me to go and buy an actual receiver, just let me say that that is my long-term plan, but for now my PC will have to suffice. For video, an HDMI is obviously all I need to hook up the projector, and for audio, I have an external 5.1 sound card.

Both the front left and right speakers are on their own stereo amp, as well as the rear two and the center. The sub is active. The sound card works quite well for 5.1 audio as each amp's input is connected to it. My issue arises when dealing with bass management on the PC. I managed to find a good piece of software that lets me set the crossovers for each channel at whatever I want them to be (currently set for 80Hz as that is the THX standard), however it does not enable me to displace the lower frequencies from the FL, FR, C, RR, RL to the LFE channel, merely eliminate them from going to those channels.

I don't know how big of a problem this actually is as I am unsure the frequencies mixed into those channels are ever <80Hz. This seems controversial from what I have read, although likely that the full range (20-20000Hz) is technically utilized in every channel. Therefore, I feel like I would cover all my bases if those signals were sent to the LFE channel. This leads me to my question about the windows "Full Range Speaker" selection. I am aware that this option, when checked, sends the full range signal to the Channels listed. That being said, when it is unchecked, it sends only the signals above a certain frequency (I have heard 70Hz).

Does this mean that the signals below this mark are sent to the sub, or just eliminated like my software does already? If it sends the frequencies in the other channels below a certain mark to the sub, shouldn't I just un-check the boxes and forget about my crossover software as windows will essentially be doing the same thing + redirecting all the bass to the subwoofer? I know this is a seemingly rinky-dink way of performing a crossover, but would it actually work? Is there a better solution to all this that won't cost me an arm and a leg and perhaps could be done through my PC, or is it fine to just have the crossovers left as is within the software?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks