What's new

First Home Theater Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

Krellon

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonathan
Okay so i recently just got a 5.1 home theater setup and I'm a bit confused on the speaker placement I should use for surrounds. My receiver manual says 120 degrees from listening position and the manual that came with my speakers is only for 7.1 I believe, and then online it mostly says 90-110 degrees and i don't know which one I should follow? any input would be great, thanks.

What I'm using for surrounds are KEF Q100's, and my receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR555

EDIT: another thing i need help with also. my receiver has settings for crossover frequency for each individual speaker and doing the AccuEQ doesn't work well with 4 KEF Q100's, a KEF Q200C, and a KEF Q400B as sub what would be the most optimal setting, i currently just set them all to 80hz and unsure if that would be best

Last edited:

Badies

Grip
Real Name
Michael
The recommended angle does indeed range from 90-110. With 7.1 systems, the last two speakers are meant for listening in the rear. With 5.1, the last two speakers are intended to be directed more from the side. When in doubt, play around with it. See what sounds best to you in this range. As for your crossover, 80Hz is the THX standard. Really can't go wrong with that. Just make sure you have frequencies below that redirected to your sub. Some people prefer a lower bound, and your KEF Q100's could probably handle it, but it would provide them with larger headroom to keep it at 80. Again, see what sounds best.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
The Q100's will go down to 50Hz so crossing at 80Hz is no problem for them. You could cross lower if you wanted depending on the options you have in the AVR. 70Hz would be good as the lower you go the less localized the subwoofer is. Having individual crosses really helps out if you have diffrent speakers but since you have all the same speaker it just make it easier to set.

With the Uni-Q drivers dispersion pattern being so good the placement of the speakers is more flexible. I won't worry too much about a few degree's here or there. Most of use have to make concessions for room design, WAF, and other factors. If you have a perfectly rectangular space with nothing else in it then go for it. However, it's still going to be awesome even if you're not in the exact right spots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks