What's new

Subwoofer replacement (1 Viewer)

Mohan Raj

Auditioning
Real Name
Mohan Raj
Hey folks, I have an old Logitech z103 2.1ch system that sounds pretty good in moderate volumes but the BASS is not smooth rather it sounds shaky at more volume. The sub is an 2 amp 4" driver unit. I suspect the sub is not powerful and if so, would like to replace the sub (Only sub driver not the enclosure)with a more capable one. What to look when doing this and may I do this or not?, I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Most subwoofers have an RCA input jack that’s typically fed from the “Sub Out” RCA jack of a receiver. If your system does not have that, you’ll need a sub with speaker wire inputs. The speaker wires would go from your amplifier to the sub’s speaker inputs, and speaker outputs on the sub would go to the two small speakers.

That said, I suspect the Z103 is a proprietary integrated system that will preclude the ability to “mix and match” equipment from other manufacturers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Hey Mohan welcome to the forum :welcome:

Unfortunately you're dealing with a set of computer speakers that has pretty much everything in the "sub" unit. If you're looking to change the driver you certainly can but it's going to be harder than you might think. You're going to need to the know the ohm rating of the current unit so that you can match it. I'm going to assume 4 but it could be 2 or 8. Then you're going to have to find a "sub" driver that will fit into the enclosure. If the enclosure is cut for the specific driver that it has matching that shape can be difficult. Then you have to make sure the driver is going to work well in the enclosure space. getting one that doesn't work in the volume you have will make it sound worse.

Most of the time a good driver that is small and that will be an improvement will be expensive. It will also require more power than what the little amp in there has to really sound good at higher volume. The problem is you can't easily replace the amp. For the amount of money you're spending on trying to upgrade this you could just get a better computer speakers system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks