What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Finian's Rainbow -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Fred Astaire was past retirement age, when cast as the magical Finian McLonergan, for Francis Coppola's W7 roadshow of the Harburg / Lane 1947 Broadway musical.

For Yip Harburg, Finian and his Rainbow, would place him forever among the great lyricists.

It would be Mr. Astaire's final musical production, a full-fledged roadshow presentation,(yes, the new Warner Archive Blu is the Roadshow) with a budget 25% that of Camelot, which was produced a year earlier, it's a film that beautifully stands the test of time.

Generally, studio-bound, with a few exceptions, this Blu-ray is a gorgeous representation of the film, as photographed by Philip Lathrop.

An unabashedly sweet film, Finian was a quality attempt to bring the musical back to the Hollywood ethic. It's interesting that while musicals of the 1930s-50s are often discussed, those produced in the 60s and 70s seem to get short shrift. They were very different from their predecessors, making the attempt to tie in the old with the new.

Image - 5

Audio -5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
I saw this in 70mm six track at the Town Cine rama Baltimore City, it was a blowup from 35mm. Sadly the 1800 seat theatre had about 3 patrons for opening wed. matinee.
This release will make a lot of fans happy!

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
This film marked the first time in movie history that a choral supervisor -- the brilliant Ken Darby -- received a solo title credit. Darby had been Alfred Newman's right-hand man at 20th Century-Fox, but also worked alongside other musicians when the studios began breaking up their music departments. Darby won an Oscar with Alfred Newman for both "The King and I" and "Camelot". He also won for "Porgy and Bess" with Andre Previn. He was also nominated along with Newman for "South Pacific," "Flower Drum Song" and "How the West Was Won." As Newman told him when he was submitted for "The King and I", nobody gets a credit they don't deserve. Therefore, it was especially notable that on Warner Brothers' "Finian's Rainbow", Darby got his solo credit after that of Music Director Ray Heindorf, but this did not extend to an Oscar nomination. Not quite sure why he would not have been submitted unless Heindorf failed to insist upon it. Newman always insisted upon it and, happily, Darby won his Oscar with Newman for "Camelot" the year before.

Reactions: PMF

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Very much looking forward to this. I saw it at the Pantages here in LA with a full house who absolutely loved the film. The pre-intermission scene with Al Freeman, Jr. and Keenan Wynn brought the house down.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I too saw this in blow up 70 mm Roadshow. What I remember. Theatre was empty. Picture beautifully made but dragged. Too long. Beautiful score of course.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
A beautiful score. Between this and The Wizard of Oz, need Harburg have done anything else?

Only Harburg's family and bank manager can say if he needed to do anything else, but as a lifelong enthusiast for the well-written popular song, I'm very glad he did. All those other wonderful songs with Harold Arlen (e.g. Happiness Is Just A Thing Called Joe) plus those with Vernon Duke (e.g. April In Paris) and Arthur Schwartz (e.g. Then I'll Be Tired of You)

E. Y. (Erwin) Harburg was a major talent who, incidentally, went to school with Ira Gershwin.

Last edited:

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I saw the roadshow at The Stanley Theatre, in Philadelphia. I sat dead center in the first row of the balcony. The theater was very full, and everyone seemed to love it. I know I did.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
There is an element of absolute magic that Petula Clark brings to this film with her performance and her vocals (a magic that also prevailed in "Goodbye, Mr. Chips" a couple of years later).

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
While I'm very happy for anyone who enjoys this screen adaptation, I'd only buy it if any and all scenes
featuring Tommy Steele were quietly excised from the film. Shudder ...

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
As I recall the theatrical trailer was pretty bad. When the film was released I saw the trailer and had no desire to see the movie. I was however dragged to the theatre and was enchanted by the film. I owned a laser and DVD copy, but have refused to watch the accompanying trailer. I will do the same for the Blu when it arrives. [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
While I'm very happy for anyone who enjoys this screen adaptation, I'd only buy it if any and all scenes
featuring Tommy Steele were quietly excised from the film. Shudder ...
...but, at any price, to finally have possession of this brilliant score in 5.1 is - in and of itself - a Steele.

I suspect that Tommy was an old-school British Music Hall type.
More of a "reach-the-back-row-of-the-third-balcony" kind of entertainer.
I suspect that Mr. Steele gave such audiences his optimum and effective best;
boundless energy;
but, quizzically, I always felt that his film directors didn't teach him how to lessen it down for the camera.
Just a guess on the techniques of acting; nothing more.

BOTTOM LINE: "Finian's Rainbow" will be an absolute and definite purchase.:popcorn:

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
...but, at any price, to finally have possession of this brilliant score in 5.1 is - in and of itself - a Steele.

I suspect that Tommy was an old-school British Music Hall type.
More of a "reach-the-back- row-of-the-third-balcony" kind of entertainer.
I suspect that Mr. Steele gave such audiences his optimum and effective best;
but, quizzically, I always felt that his film directors didn't teach him how to lessen it down for the camera.
Just a guess on the techniques of acting; nothing more.

BOTTOM LINE: "Finian's Rainbow" will be an absolute and definite purchase.:popcorn:

Tommy Steele started as a rock 'n roll singer. He had great success initially, but one day an ill-mannered young woman demanded his autograph in a surly way. Tommy gently pointed out that there was no need to be rude and she retorted that without fans like her, he would have no career. The following day Tommy told his agent to develop his career away from hit parade material.

Last edited:

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
As I recall the theatrical trailer was pretty bad. When the film was released I saw the trailer and had no desire to see the movie. I was however dragged to the theatre and was enchanted by the film. I owned a laser and DVD copy, but have refused to watch the accompanying trailer. I will do the same for the Blu when it arrives. [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

You're in luck - the trailer is not listed as one of the extras!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks