What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ S.O.B. -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Warner Archive's new Blu-ray release of Blake Edwards' S.O.B. is a welcome addition to his cannon, especially in the quality presented.

I've never been quite certain how to categorize this film, and gave up years ago.

It's a comedy, with a mean satirical bent toward Hollywood studios, and the people who people them, somehow molded more toward something that might have come from the Coens, as opposed to the filmmaker to gave us The Pink Panther, and his cinematically presumed goody two-shoes wife.

With the concept of attempting to categorize it aside, the film has terrific comedic performances, and superb production values.

As a Blu-ray, it's gorgeous. Nary a problem in sight, as expected of a Warner Archive product.

The film is a hoot, and should be on everyone's must-own list.

And for those unaware, it is S.O.B. that brought to the cinema, that wonderfully slurred line... "Wanna see my boobies?"

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Excellent, another DVD for the retirement home.

The taking the dead director out for a car ride, I think it's based on fact, I read somewhere that Errol Flynn took the dead body of John Barrymore out for a ride, or it that an urban myth?

Blake Edwards at the Oscars showing how it should be done:

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Excellent, another DVD for the retirement home.

The taking the dead director out for a car ride, I think it's based on fact, I read somewhere that Errol Flynn took the dead body of John Barrymore out for a ride, or it that an urban myth?

Blake Edwards at the Oscars showing how it should be done:

That's in Flynn's book, as I recall. I'd bet it happened.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For me, Robert Preston steals the pic.
His 'amateur standing' line gets me every time.
And we get to see 'Heidi' in a grocery cart

I was going to mention Heidi. Jennifer Edwards, daughter of..., was the child most hated by football lovers for quite a while.

Hopefully, she's gotten over it, and all is forgiven.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
William Holden's last film and we get to see Mary Poppins breast's
I hate to admit it, but the only reason I went to original theatrical release of "S.O.B." was because of...well, you know.
The advanced word of this event was rampant.
Anyway, it's been many years since and I'm over it all;
I guess, now, I'll only pick this film up for the sake of it's themes and storylines.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ahab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Friederichs
Am very happy to see this release has been treated well. Very much looking forward to it.

Randal Gist

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Randal Gist
Very happy to hear that the image and audio quality for this film are top notch. S.O.B. is a personal favorite. I saw it several times in the theater, back when it was first released. There are so many good/great moments, and performances. From Robert Vaughn, to Shelly Winters, to Larry Storch--an amazing cast. The trio of Holden, Preston, and Weber are soooo good together. And yes, you get to see Miss Julie's boobies---and Rosanna Arquette's for that matter. An instant purchase for me. Although Blake Edwards made some not vert good films, on the whole I think he was brilliant filmmaker.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
For me, Robert Preston steals the pic.
His 'amateur standing' line gets me every time.
And we get to see 'Heidi' in a grocery cart

Preston had an amazing career comeback with this and VICTOR/VICTORIA and THE LAST STARFIGHTER. He was really a better actor than given credit for.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It is my understanding that the original working title for "S.O.B." was actually "Victor/Victoreola". :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks