What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Kiss of Death -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've not seen Henry Hathaway's Kiss of Death in high quality.

Ever.

Best was a lovely, 16mm print, which can't compare to what Fox has given us on this new Blu-ray, courtesy of Twilight Time.

Presumably derived from a quality fine grain master, the film has all of its darkness and shadow detail intact. Resolution is superb, and grain structure appears correct.

Seeing it in this quality, I noted something for the first time.

This is Richard Widmark's first appearance, and initially when we see him, he's out of focus. The camera is set on Victor Mature, slightly in the background.

It's only when we get a good look at him, that we realize that this is one sick f**k, possibly the progenitor of Heath Ledger's Joker.

When one thinks back upon single shots or sequences in films, one that will come to mind from Kiss of Death, is Mildred Dunnock's (uncredited) wheelchair ride, which can be compared to something like James Cagney and the grapefruit.

Filmed totally on location in and around Manhattan by Norbert Brodine, whose work goes back to 1919. He also shot Topper, The House on 92nd Street, 13 Rue Madeleine, I Was a Male War Bride, and Boomerang!

This is one of those limited to 3,000 copies that will go quickly, as any fan of film noir will already have their order in place.

Not to be confused with The Death Kiss, with Bela Lugosi, also shot by Mr. Brodine.

Absolutely free, with your purchase, another inimitable monograph from the Remington of Julie Kirgo, and a quality commentary track.

Image - 4.75

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.75

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As soon as my BD arrived the other day, I watched it twice, once with Nick's and Julie's commentary. I thought it looked beautiful. One of my favorite film noirs that I've viewed perhaps 30 times in its entirety over the years. Much superior to the 1995 "Kiss of Death". The only problem I had with this film was the ending.
Too many shots at close range for Nick to survive. I kind of accepted it when I watched this film as a kid, but after my adult viewings, I do have an issue with it as do, Nick and Julie.

As to Widmark, I knew this was his film debut and what a debut it was. An iconic role and performance. You will never forget him from this film. Over the years, I always listened to his laugh from other films to compare it to his laugh in this film. Very similar indeed just not as pronounced.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
As soon as my BD arrived the other day, I watched it twice, once with Nick's and Julie's commentary. I thought it looked beautiful. One of my favorite film noirs that I've viewed perhaps 30 times in its entirety over the years. Much superior to the 1995 "Kiss of Death". The only problem I had with this film was the ending.
Too many shots at close range for Nick to survive. I kind of accepted it when I watched this film as a kid, but after my adult viewings, I do have an issue with it as do, Nick and Julie.

As to Widmark, I knew this was his film debut and what a debut it was. An iconic role and performance. You will never forget him from this film. Over the years, I always listened to his laugh from other films to compare it to his laugh in this film. Very similar indeed just not as pronounced.

Re your spoiler: I've always felt that Fox probably changed the ending to make it more optimistic. I've always felt the same about Pushover, Kim Novak's debut film, where I think the ending was softened to make audiences like Kim Novak more.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Re your spoiler: I've always felt that Fox probably changed the ending to make it more optimistic. I've always felt the same about Pushover, Kim Novak's debut film, where I think the ending was softened to make audiences like Kim Novak more.
No doubt! Nick and Julie talked about it on their commentary track.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Please forgive me here, film buffs, but I have not seen this one.
But that's what makes HTF the resource that it is.
Just when I thought I've seen about every film that was ever made, I am proven wrong; once, again.
As for TT, they're killing me.
If they keep putting out titles that can't be ignored, I'll never have any savings towards my first home theater.
To finally have a home theater or to have more Limited 3,000 titles from TT?; 'tis a choice akin to Sophie's.
Of course, reviews like these from RAH, Mr. Crawford and all only further serve to hinder my financial advancements, as well.
Okay, TT, I concede; you've got yourself another sale.:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks