What's new

Make any TV 4K... (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
At the risk of stating the obvious - when we talk about a 4K TV, "4K" refers to the number of pixels physically present in the set. A cable cannot make pixels appear that didn't previously exist. My HD TV is 1080p - if I plug this cable into it, the number of pixels will not suddenly double to 2160.

What this cable does is upscale content. But since almost all devices have a scaler built in, I'm not really sure what purpose it would serve. 4K TVs will already upscale lower resolution content to 4K - you don't need to buy an extra thing to make that happen.

I'm sorry but I found this headline and article to be misleading.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That was hilarious. I especially liked the guy who could hold a straight face while saying that a cable is the most important part of a home entertainment system, even more important than the TV or the receiver. All three of them are important as a system can't work with any one of them missing; however, out of the three of them the cable is actually the least important as any reasonable quality cable can do the job of carrying a signal.

This thing reminds me of the guys on Audioholics talking about cable snake-oil and their references to cables that had power sources attached to them that would improve your sound quality. :laugh:

Edit: Actually that thing about a system not working without a cable isn't true if you don't want to have your sound and picture routed through your receiver. The TV works just fine without an accompanying stereo system and vice versa, so a cable really is the least and most un-needed part of a system. Just needed to correct myself on that. I have been doing this so long that I just naturally think of a TV and multi-channel receiver as a single must-have system when that is not the case.

Last edited:

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
That was hilarious. I especially liked the guy who could hold a straight face while saying that a cable is the most important part of a home entertainment system, even more important than the TV or the receiver. All three of them are important as a system can't work with any one of them missing; however, out of the three of them the cable is actually the least important as any reasonable quality cable can do the job of carrying a signal.

This thing reminds me of the guys on Audioholics talking about cable snake-oil and their references to cables that had power sources attached to them that would improve your sound quality. :laugh:

Edit: Actually that thing about a system not working without a cable isn't true if you don't want to have your sound and picture routed through your receiver. The TV works just fine without an accompanying stereo system and vice versa, so a cable really is the least and most un-needed part of a system. Just needed to correct myself on that. I have been doing this so long that I just naturally think of a TV and multi-channel receiver as a single must-have system when that is not the case.
This cable is @ least 2yrs. old! It was being pushed by 1 of the Chinese tv makers on Amazon for about 99.99, but they said to use it to upconvert the signal for a 1080p tv. I found the same cable at Sears on line for 19.99 never got one just checking. It takes me along time to check something out first.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Even two years ago it wouldn't have made sense to buy it, since the cable just contains an upscaling chip. Blu-ray players and TVs have their own internal scalers. Adding a third one wouldn't have amounted to much, except a slightly lighter wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks