What's new

Star Trek DS9/Voyager (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
There seems to be a lot of interest in having these 2 series remastered and for sale on blu ray. One reason it has not been done is because not enough Star Trek TNG were sold as expected.
Wouldn't it be possible for those who are interested to pledge or subscribe the money to have the remastering done? That way Paramount or who ever owns the shows would know that they could turn a profit on the sets and we could complete our collections. When enough money was gathered or pledged we could get our discs.
Don't laugh, it worked for the base of the Statue of Liberty!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
We need people in charge at CBS who value Star Trek and who are forward-thinking enough to future-proof their properties in HD. It won't happen until the right leadership is in charge.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
There seems to be a lot of interest in having these 2 series remastered and for sale on blu ray. One reason it has not been done is because not enough Star Trek TNG were sold as expected.
Wouldn't it be possible for those who are interested to pledge or subscribe the money to have the remastering done? That way Paramount or who ever owns the shows would know that they could turn a profit on the sets and we could complete our collections. When enough money was gathered or pledged we could get our discs.
Don't laugh, it worked for the base of the Statue of Liberty!

I've been saying that since I heard it was "too expensive" to remaster.

Kickstarter, and done.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
A Kickstarter campaign for this would be an admission by CBS that they can't give the fans what they want. They'd be embarrassed in the industry.

That said, it would probably work! And it should be done!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
A Kickstarter campaign for this would be an admission by CBS that they can't give the fans what they want. They'd be embarrassed in the industry.

I think that's entirely correct. CBS has no interest in doing this project, full stop. If they did, it would be done. TNG on BD made less than expected, so from that point of view, it's reasonable to believe that the lesser known shows would even do those numbers. And they don't take outside funding for this the same way Warner won't allow anyone to work on their material even when they can't afford to do it themselves, or the way MGM has turned down donations and volunteer offers to work on their back catalog.

I would like these shows in HD, but I have accepted that the legal rights holder does not care, and therefore, it will not happen at this time.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

Definitely. A basic CYA (ie. cover your ass) measure.

Also the "not invented here" syndrome.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Mission Log: A Roddenberry Star Trek Podcast has an interview with Adam about this documentary up now: http://www.missionlogpodcast.com/

We’re sitting down with Adam Nimoy to discuss his work on Star Trek, his documentary “For the Love of Spock,” and celebrate the life of Leonard Nimoy who we lost two years ago. Adam also sets the stage for his upcoming project, an epic Deep Space Nine documentary, “What We Left Behind.”

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to see these in a better format, but until it's economically feasible, not going to happen.

Have TNG and Enterprise on DVD, very happy with them.

Voyager, I'm stuck with BBCA reruns on a "square" screen, not even letter-boxed.

Studios used to rip is off by constantly putting out newer, improved versions of shows. But I think a lot of this has to do with fans kind of retreating from "the latest, greatest" version and saving their $.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Voyager, I'm stuck with BBCA reruns on a "square" screen, not even letter-boxed.
If they were to letterbox it, it would either be with black bars on all sides or no bars, but they would have to blow up the already shitty NTSC resolution to fill the screen. Until there is an HD remaster, it will have to be window boxed to preserve your eyes.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
If they were to letterbox it, it would either be with black bars on all sides or no bars, but they would have to blow up the already shitty NTSC resolution to fill the screen. Until there is an HD remaster, it will have to be window boxed to preserve your eyes.
What are you guys even talking about? Voyager is not widescreen. It was shot in 1.33:1 and, like TNG, would still be 1.33:1 even if remastered in HD.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
What are you guys even talking about? Voyager is not widescreen. It was shot in 1.33:1 and, like TNG, would still be 1.33:1 even if remastered in HD.
When I was at the ST50 convention in Las Vegas in October, I tried to set up a meeting with CBS execs to discuss a crowd funded restoration. They flaked on me, and I think they did so because they don't want to admit they have no interest.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Consider myself "educated". I just assumed, being a fairly recent show, that it had kept up with technology. Apparently 1.33:1 is the best we'll get.

Yet TNG is widescreen. It looks great, but is it chopped and cropped without us knowing it?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
TNG is not widescreen. The blu Rays are all square screen as the series was filmed. If you are seeing widescreen you are seeing "chopped and cropped".

Stan

Senior HTF Member
TNG is not widescreen. The blu Rays are all square screen as the series was filmed. If you are seeing widescreen you are seeing "chopped and cropped".
Maybe haven't been paying much attention, but the "chopped and cropped" versions have been very well done.

Odd coming from me, clear back to the late '70s, projectionist in a tri-plex, I was so into OAR. Hated watching movies on TV. Still have a lot of the "widescreen" VHS tapes, just before DVD kicked in.

Really ticked me off until DVDs finally started taking off and showed us the "entire" film. Just bad timing, but I could tell where the future was going.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

In one of the bonus features on the Blu-ray about the upgrade to HD, they talked about why they made the decision to retain the original 1.33:1 framing. Apparently the way the show was shot, there's extra room on the negative to the left and right of the frame most of the time, so they briefly looked into the possibility of opening it up for widescreen. However, looking at the actual raw footage, the showrunners knew that it was going to air as 1.33:1, so they didn't protect the edges of the frame for a wider format - if they opened it up, there'd be everything from light stands and boom mikes to camera crews in the shots.

For what it's worth, I am perfectly content with having the show preserved in its OAR. I've watched some of the X-Files Blu-rays where they were able to open them up to 1.78:1 by exposing some unused side image, and while it's certainly watchable, I think the 1.33:1 versions have better framing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks