What's new

LG OLED65E6P Help! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When I had my Panasonic 65VT50, I was able to pull up video information on my display screen such as 1080p at whatever frame rate. I can't seem to find that type of information on my LG OLED65E6P. I know I can get such information from what my Oppo player is outputting to the OLED by pressing the information button on the Oppo remote. Which I was able to do the same with the Panny display and Oppo player. However, I can't find a way to get video information on what the OLED is actually processing from whatever the Oppo is outputting. Is that possible to get that information from this OLED? Is it possible to find out if the OLED is converting the 50iHz video that my Oppo is outputting to 60Hz from my UK BD "Sherlock" disc?

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Crawdaddy, do you have a Harmony remote? If you do, you can program the European model of the E6 (I think it's E6V) which activates an info button like you want. I have it on my Harmony.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Robert, the only info display I've been able to find on my E6 is activated by moving the Magic Remote mouse pointer into the upper-left corner of the display and clicking. This displays the currently active input. If you then click on the input banner a secondary display with resolution, etc. pops up, but it's very rudimentary.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks to both of you. I was able to use both techniques, but it only gave me the resolution.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
If your Oppo player is set to output PAL or 50hz and your TV is displaying the picture, then that means your TV is compatible with BOTH NTSC and PAL sources- it does not "convert". If it displays "Format Not Supported", then it isn't. I've verified that my LG 75UH8500 can display EVERY resolution/format option my Oppo player puts out.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If your Oppo player is set to output PAL or 50hz and your TV is displaying the picture, then that means your TV is compatible with BOTH NTSC and PAL sources- it does not "convert". If it displays "Format Not Supported", then it isn't. I've verified that my LG 75UH8500 can display EVERY resolution/format option my Oppo player puts out.
I changed my Oppo 93 settings to PAL and it played a Region 2 DVD on my LG OLED!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Cool- LG TVs in the US have supported PAL since they started selling them here, but I've heard on two other forums that at least SOME of their 8500 models do not display it- possibly the 55-inch based on one poster. I have the 75-inch 8500 and it DOES display PAL, I cycled through all the output options on my Oppo UDP-203 and it displayed all of them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For those of us that own the OLED65E6P which video settings do use? Value Electronics calibrated the following settings for me:

HDR Effect Medium
ISF Expert (Bright Room)
ISF Expert (Dark Room)

Up until today, I used the HDR Effect Medium to view any 4K/UHD presentations, whether on 4K/UHD discs or 4K/UHD showings on DriecTV. For Blu-rays and DirecTV 720p or 1080i/p viewings, I've used ISF Expert (Bright Room) for daylight viewings and for night time viewings, I'd used ISF Expert (Dark Room) setting. I have a great deal of ambient light in my HT room during daylight hours.

So today, I was watching some "Sherlock" TV episodes during the daytime that I recorded beforehand and decided for kicks to watch them with the HDR Effect Medium setting. After some comparisons between that setting and ISF Expert (Bright Room) setting, I preferred to watch those recorded episodes with the HDR Effect Medium even though it was only displayiing 1080i instead of the normal 2160p you get with 4K/UHD programming. The HDR effect made it a more pleasurable picture to my eyes.

Have any other 65E6P or other 4K/UHD model owners experimented with the same settings?

Reactions: PMF

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My home theater room is pretty dark during the day and pitch black at night, so I always use ISF Expert Dark.

Reactions: PMF

Ashly Yeo

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 75UH8500 set and we prefer the HDR medium setting for regular TV shows. Our HT room has quite a bit of ambient light but the ISF settings seem too saturated to us.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
IIRC the "HDR" modes for non-HDR/4K content force you to keep some of the annoying 'enhancements' like auto-dimming enabled, the controls for those are greyed out. I've got my 8500 pretty much set the way it should be but it took a LONG time to figure it out, I should probably write down the proper settings in case it ever gets reset back to the defaults.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks