What's new

The strange case of the Villa Rides Blu-ray disc (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I have two Blu-ray players connected to my projector. One is for Zone A and Zone Free discs, the other is for Zone B discs.

Today I received the Blu-ray disc of Villa Rides which I assume is a Zone A disc as it comes from Olive Films. My Zone A player gave the message "INVALID REGION" so I tried my Zone B player which gave the same message. I tried other Zone A locked discs with my Zone A player and they all played without problem. So the fault is not with the player.

Tomorrow, as a desperation tactic, I'll unplug my equipment, re-install it and then try again. If that doesn't work, the disc will have to go back.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I have seen this happen and could be a bad disc but try this Robin and see what happens.

Press stop when you see the wrong region message then press TOP MENU from the STOP screen and see if the disc loads directly to the main menu. If it does play the disc and then try taking the disc out and reloading it to see if it then plays normally.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I have seen this happen and could be a bad disc but try this Robin and see what happens.

Press stop when you see the wrong region message then press TOP MENU from the STOP screen and see if the disc loads directly to the main menu. If it does play the disc and then try taking the disc out and reloading it to see if it then plays normally.

Many thanks. I'll give that a try this evening and report back. (I've never had this problem before and until your post, I didn't have a clue what to do about it)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, when you do this it may bypass whatever is going on as the disc tries to load up that gives you the wrong region screen. So, it may allow you to play the disc by taking you directly to the menu. Obviously if the disc is bad then this won't help. This little trick also works for me to allow me to play other region discs in my region A only player. So, it does work to bypass a wrong region screen in many cases. Good luck!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I tried that remedy - several times in fact - but it didn't work. Thank you anyway. So the disc will have to go back. Maybe it's a Zone C disc, sent by mistake! :)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Do you have a PC Bluray drive? If so I'd try to run a program like VSO INspector and see if runs at all or gives a bunch of error messages.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Well, last night I finally managed to get this disc to play. More by luck and persistence than anything else.

Before playing my intended film for the day What A Way To Go, I put Villa Rides in the machine and got the usual INVALID REGION message. So I replaced it with Shirley MacLaine. At the end of that film I put Villa Rides back in and this time the entire screen went red and the Blu-ray player switched itself off! I turned it back on, took the disc out and put it back in. Again the player switched itself off. I was bewildered so I put 23 Paces To Baker Street in the machine and that played without problem. I replaced that disc with Villa Rides . . . . and this time it played! It was past midnight so I just sampled a few scenes.

Clearly there is something peculiar about this disc, but I'm hoping to be able to watch it properly tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks