What's new

Nielsen People dont Listen (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dragonwolf08

So I have been called a couple times to participate in the Nielsen ratings, both times I said, "We don't have any tvs and hung up on them" I guess they thought I was kidding. They sent me money and a survey. WTF I really do not own any tvs! I took their money and their survey and answered just the same as i did on the phone I DONT HAVE ANY TVS!!!! And in space I found on the survey explained exactly why I threw my tvs out 3 yrs ago. I mean if these coveted spots are so important why do these fools not comprehend I - DONT - OWN - A - TV. I get that they randomly choose the house but why did they ignore me saying these things? Clearly I was not interested when I hung up on them LOL. Anyone experience this crap?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
LOL that's a new one!

I've been around the world and found that the stupid people are breeding, the cretins are cloning and feeding, and I don't even own a TV!

My suggestion: Spend the free money and don't freak out over it!

D

dragonwolf08

I guess that makes sense. Or they thought they didn't believe that I could possibly not own a tv LOL

D

dragonwolf08

Sam Posten I am not freaking out about it, I went ahead and filled out the survey and told them why i don't have a tv in the hopes others like me are being surveyed and they stop the toxic programming that is on. But i dont think that would ever happen.

D

dragonwolf08

they only sent me $2 and nope they cant because I participated in their survey LOL just cuz it wasn't the answer they wanted doesn't entitle them to that $2 which i gave to my 7 yr old.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
they only sent me $2 and nope they cant because I participated in their survey LOL just cuz it wasn't the answer they wanted doesn't entitle them to that $2 which i gave to my 7 yr old.

If you told them in the survey why you no longer have any televisions, then maybe you did indeed give them the answer they wanted.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Who even cares what this company has to say?

I can DVR a show, store it for months until I do a binge watch. How do they measure that? Just now finishing up "Shooter", six weeks behind.

Others, like "Doubt", recorded but never watched, now zapped since it was apparently a mega dud.

They might have meant something back in the '70s or '80s, but technology has passed them by. They're meaningless.

Many other companies gather the data, 'Nielsen" is simply a name, trying to stay afloat.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I can DVR a show, store it for months until I do a binge watch. How do they measure that? Just now finishing up "Shooter", six weeks behind.

They don't count that. All DVRs can send viewer data back to the cable/satellite company, so thanks to DVRs, they can have a better idea of what's popular and not. A show gets maximum ratings points for being watched live with no timeshifting. It gets additional points that are still valuable, but not as highly rated as live viewings, for people who watch a show within 24 hours of its airing (i.e. people who are recording now to watch with commercials later in the day). Then, there's a category for views that come within the same week, and they get some points for those, but not as many as if you had watched it live or within 24 hours. After a week, it doesn't count towards ratings at all. So if you watch a show six weeks behind, as far as the ratings are concerned, you didn't watch it at all.

Since the ratings matter most to advertisers, I get that. An advertisement from six weeks ago may no longer be relevant - the promotion being offered may have ended, the discount period could be over, the movie or TV show could no longer be available, etc.

Frankly, I wonder what would happen if everyone got DVRs and skipped past commercials altogether - I'm already kinda surprised that isn't the norm. Once it's confirmed that the vast majority of the public is able to completely ignore TV commercials and in fact does so, will advertisers still have any interest in paying for them? If advertisers pull out of TV, will TV even exist anymore?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Frankly, I wonder what would happen if everyone got DVRs and skipped past commercials altogether - I'm already kinda surprised that isn't the norm. Once it's confirmed that the vast majority of the public is able to completely ignore TV commercials and in fact does so, will advertisers still have any interest in paying for them? If advertisers pull out of TV, will TV even exist anymore?

Other than the occasional slip, haven't watched a commercial in over ten years. My FF button gets a lot of use.

Advertisers and networks will probably figure out a way past my behavior eventually, but for now, I'm okay being able to skip the ads.

We already get credits that run 15-20 minutes into an hour long show, pop-ups, etc. Much more invasion and I'll simply stop watching. Life does go on without TV.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Advertisers and networks will probably figure out a way past my behavior eventually, but for now, I'm okay being able to skip the ads.

They'd probably like us all to move to a model like the Hulu streaming program, where even if you are a paid subscriber, you are forced to sit through unskippable ads. (You can pay yet another fee if you want to opt out of those.)

I'm surprised they haven't tried that with DVR yet -- coming up with commercials where an advertiser can pay extra money to disable the fast forward button on your remote.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I just finished my Nielson diary several months ago. (Still basically the same old paper diary from when I did it over 10 years ago.) I do watch a lot of TV and logged a lot of entries.

Now they are sending me another diary for the radio. Haha, I listen to about 30 seconds a day when my clock radio wakes me up to music. And I listen to the UH basketball postgame (I watch the game on TV or online.) And they are quite persistent -- a letter to tell me I've been chosen, a phone call to ask some questions, and a phone call to make sure the diary arrives. Reminds me of the census bureau.

D

dragonwolf08

They don't count that. All DVRs can send viewer data back to the cable/satellite company, so thanks to DVRs, they can have a better idea of what's popular and not. A show gets maximum ratings points for being watched live with no timeshifting. It gets additional points that are still valuable, but not as highly rated as live viewings, for people who watch a show within 24 hours of its airing (i.e. people who are recording now to watch with commercials later in the day). Then, there's a category for views that come within the same week, and they get some points for those, but not as many as if you had watched it live or within 24 hours. After a week, it doesn't count towards ratings at all. So if you watch a show six weeks behind, as far as the ratings are concerned, you didn't watch it at all.

Since the ratings matter most to advertisers, I get that. An advertisement from six weeks ago may no longer be relevant - the promotion being offered may have ended, the discount period could be over, the movie or TV show could no longer be available, etc.

I would prefer to wonder what would happen if, like me, everyone just stopped watching tv. Do you know how much more productive you would be if you didnt own one?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would prefer to wonder what would happen if, like me, everyone just stopped watching tv. Do you know how much more productive you would be if you didnt own one?

That may be true, but it seems maybe an odd question to pose on a place called "Home Theater Forum".

D

dragonwolf08

That may be true, but it seems maybe an odd question to pose on a place called "Home Theater Forum".
Not really, I used to never have my tvs off EVER. They stayed on even if I wasn't in the house. Maybe yall need someone like me around :P. But considering my original post where else would i post it?

D

dragonwolf08

I just finished my Nielson diary several months ago. (Still basically the same old paper diary from when I did it over 10 years ago.) I do watch a lot of TV and logged a lot of entries.

Now they are sending me another diary for the radio. Haha, I listen to about 30 seconds a day when my clock radio wakes me up to music. And I listen to the UH basketball postgame (I watch the game on TV or online.) And they are quite persistent -- a letter to tell me I've been chosen, a phone call to ask some questions, and a phone call to make sure the diary arrives. Reminds me of the census bureau.
I wonder if they will try to get me involved with another survey/study. I am an odd one for them. I make good money BUT I make all of our hygiene products and food from scratch. I rarely shop at big chains or corporations if i can avoid it. I don't listen to the radio, aside from using the internet with a strong ad blocker and occasional shopping, we are rarely exposed to society at all.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

I've had first hand experiences with this. :)

During the 1990s and 2000s decades, I didn't have a tv at home for various periods of time lasting several months to over several years. (I won't go into why I didn't have a tv at home).

In terms of productivity, in hindsight I don't believe I was any more or less productive than during any other time periods in my life after I became an adult.

Instead of spending a lot of time watching tv, I ended up spending all that "extra time" doing other things like: going to the movie theater, playing guitar, reading Star Wars or Star Trek novels, reading web pages, etc ... I didn't spend any of that "extra time" doing "productive" things. (ie. I was already out of school, etc ...).

D

dragonwolf08

I've had first hand experiences with this. :)

During the 1990s and 2000s decades, I didn't have a tv at home for various periods of time lasting several months to over several years. (I won't go into why I didn't have a tv at home).

In terms of productivity, in hindsight I don't believe I was any more or less productive than during any other time periods in my life after I became an adult.

Instead of spending a lot of time watching tv, I ended up spending all that "extra time" doing other things like: going to the movie theater, playing guitar, reading Star Wars or Star Trek novels, reading web pages, etc ... I didn't spend any of that "extra time" doing "productive" things. (ie. I was already out of school, etc ...).

oh hmm you say you wont go into why you didnt have a tv. that implies it wasnt necessarily a choice. I used to play guitar before my head injury and that has been in this same time period of not owning a tv. I wrote bunches of songs and then did shows in the city with my fiance and by myself. I also started oil painting and doing various other sellable crafts. Currently I homeschool 3 kids, I am making my own personal care line and am working from home. Some times and its rare i play video games on my computer. most of my free time is spent writing letters to people instead of using facebook or researching various things or homeschool planning or going out with my family. perhaps the difference is Why we dont have tvs? I threw out our tvs because of all the oversexualized programming geared towards children. And I thought it was so pointless for us all to just sit there and stare at a screen. Also I am not a fan of movies. In 4 yrs ive been to the theater 2 times and it wasnt because i wanted to go. So hulu and all those things are not things I use either. I despise programming, I despise ads, and movies are part of that as well. I only have ever really like 1 show my whole life. Star trek next generation. I have the whole series... still never watch it haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
oh hmm you say you wont go into why you didnt have a tv. that implies it wasnt necessarily a choice

During the longest time period without a tv, it was largely due to laziness on my part.

During a wild party at my then-apartment, the tv screen ending up being kicked in by someone. I was too lazy to do anything about it, other than throwing the tv remains out the window and into the large trash bin.

Subsequently I lived without a tv for several years, even though I could easily afford to buy a new one. (The perp gave me several hundred $$$ compensation for kicking in the tv screen while really drunk).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks