What's new

Vudu Announces Mobile Disc to Digital (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
:thumbsup:

Looks like another nail in the coffin of physical discs. I bet WM gets out of the disc selling biz sooner rather than later.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:thumbsup:

Looks like another nail in the coffin of physical discs. I bet WM gets out of the disc selling biz sooner rather than later.

Don;t understand the connection. It's just a different version and what was already available - and really didn't work well in-store or online. They killed a couple other loopholes lately with eliminating a way to get HD copies from DVD or $1-2 instead of 5 and basically finally disable the Free2D (semi pirate or completely pirated site).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Here's my question - if all you need to do is scan a barcode to be eligible to get the digital copy, what's to stop people from simply walking into their local Walmart or Best Buy or library and simply scanning the barcodes and putting the items back on the shelf?

To any store employee, it would be indistinguishable from customers using an app to look up more information about an item or to check its price.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Here's my question - if all you need to do is scan a barcode to be eligible to get the digital copy, what's to stop people from simply walking into their local Walmart or Best Buy or library and simply scanning the barcodes and putting the items back on the shelf?

To any store employee, it would be indistinguishable from customers using an app to look up more information about an item or to check its price.

You have to enable your location on your phone, and can only scan titles from the location Vudu has as your billing address.

Having said that, it took me all of 4 seconds to figure out a way around that, but I don't want to run afoul of rules, so my trap will remain shut ;)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

"Mobile Disc-to-Digital conversions must take place at a customer’s home / billing address."

I suppose it checks Location Services or something else to verify.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
If there is indeed a simple workaround, you can bet this plan of theirs will be shut down and reworked quite quickly.

Reminds me of their (WM) Savings Catcher. There was no real rules in place about how many receipts you could scan etc so basically you could grab as WM receipts that you wanted and load them. I'd snag all kinds of receipts when I found them, some folks left them on the self checkout counters, some in grocery carts, some on parking lot ground. I loaded that app up and got some decent "rebates". About a year went by and they started clamping down on qty per day you could load etc.

I don't use it that much now, but it is nice saving $$$ when I can. :)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
If there is indeed a simple workaround, you can bet this plan of theirs will be shut down and reworked quite quickly

The funny thing is the workaround is spreading like wildfire on other sites and mods are taking down any mention of it as fast as they can. I've got to think Vudu is going to realize it soon.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
What an absolute shit sandwich the new @vudufans app is. Refuses to scan a single barcode, reads half the bar 90% of the time, fail on full view of the bar

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
This is a good move. I know several people who couldn't use D2D because they didn't have a computer. I had to take my laptop to their house and do it for them. Now they can do it themselves. Also, these days fewer laptops come with disc drives. So this is nice for people who don't have access. This is also replacing the in-store conversion. But I haven't used that in years. For bar-codes that aren't recognized, they will be able to update the database pretty easily, unlike the PC version, which was rarely updated.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I used the disc-to-digital service once to convert 10 DVD's to HDX digital copies. My biggest complaint is that there is no reliable way on Vudu to know what type of transfer you will be getting. I converted my DVD of The Hustler, and ended up with a pan & scan version on Vudu, which was unacceptable to me. I filed a complaint with Vudu. It took them about three months to finally respond (I contacted them a few times) and issue me a $5 credit. That first experience has made me reluctant to try again, and this new variation would still have the same issue.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
4 days later, app is still a piece of shit for me but others are reporting success. I get 100% unknown errors on all scans of my physical disks and even tried online upc codes, nothing works. And unknown error can go F right off.

Edit: got it working. Apparently the mobile app had my CC but half the address and my name was borked. Fixed those and converted a bunch. Family will be happy, me, meh =p

Last edited:

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I have heard that they have fixed over a thousand codes since launch. They are rapidly expanding their database, so I would expect in a month or so to have far few errors on eligible titles.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I'd love to convert our box set of Full House, but nowhere on the packaging can I find bar-codes! What's up with that? I'm guessing it was on the wrapper?

So am I SOL or is there a way to convert these discs?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah it's the inconsistency that drives me batty with the whole UV ecosystem. We made a sub account to add my parents disk collection to mine. The process for doing that is very opaque. It had them create a new UV account in addition to Vudu. And now they can see about 75% of my content and I can see about 75% of theirs because of the incompatible titles between UVVU and Vudu. How the hell can it be that UVVU does not have control of 100% of the movies on the UV platform. Stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks