Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

A Monster Calls Blu-ray Review

monstercalltop-1024x576.jpg

A beautifully layered and poignant episode in the life of a pre-teen having to come to grips to some of life’s sometimes unfair and yet inevitable truths, J.A. Bayona’s A Monster Calls is a wonderfully expressive and imaginative fantasy drama.

[review]
Read more.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks for your review, Matt. I loved this film in the theater -- it was one of my very favorites of 2016 -- and I can't wait to get the disc on Tuesday. Fortunately it seems like its theatrical bombing ($3.7 million total gross) hasn't prevented Universal from putting together a solid set of supplements, which is good news indeed. The response it received, or lack thereof, in theaters is deeply unfortunate. I hope it will be able to connect with a wider audience on disc and digital,, and I certainly will be recommending it and gifting it when possible.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
As someone currently experiencing (albeit as an adult) a situation not dissimilar to the young protagonist in this film, I found its tale almost overpowering in its emotion and honesty. I'm not afraid to admit that the ultimate revelation of the monster's nature and purpose moved me to tears, which doesn't happen often with movies anymore. While not appropriate for younger children, I think it could prove very valuable for preteens in preparing for life's inevitable seismic shifts. And I can't imagine anyone who's struggling or has struggled with loss wouldn't find some measure of solace or even catharsis in it. It pulls no punches, and even if it cost them at the box office, I'm grateful it was made the way it was and not diluted in hopes of being more commercial.

Jonny_G

Auditioning
Real Name
John Giles
why this couldn't include the 7.1 theatrical mix is ultra annoying.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
This Blu-ray was a blind buy and my wife and I watched it today. Amazing storytelling! I regret not seeing this in the theater because the film deserves the money.

The Booth Bijou gives 'The Monster Calls' 5 out of 5 stars. A must-see film, in my humble opinion. Bring your hanky!

Mark

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Finally, I was able to watch this over the past weekend and loved it. Wonderful performances and technical achievements for a touching and difficult story. I too was needing my hanky by the end.

I was reading where Lewis MacDougall (Conor) lost his own mother to multiple sclerosis just a couple years before filming this movie. It must have been a very emotional experience, I would think, to relive a version of those events.

It's so disappointing that this did so poorly at the box office. Though it's kind of a difficult film to market.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Glad to see more people catching up to this beautiful film finally.

A year out from its release, it feels to me that it should be due to pop up on some streaming platform, but I haven't seen it on Netflix or Prime yet. I have the disc, so I'm good, but I like it when things go to Netflix, because then I can get friends to watch them who balk at having to pay to rent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks