What's new

Projector help (1 Viewer)

duce2777

Auditioning
Real Name
sherid
I recently bought a new home that had a home theater projector and screen previously installed and I was looking to put one back in since the wiring and ceiling speakers are already in place. The wall is about 14 feet wide and it's 13 from where the projector was installed to the ceiling before. This won't be my primary TV more of a fun room for movies and kids video games so I'm not looking to break the bank but if I could get a decent projector and screen I think it would be great. Anyway I was hoping for some advise on what to buy or where to start (both screen and projector). I just read CNET's review on the Optoma HD142X and it seemed pretty good and only $550 but I don't really know anything about projectors or what I should be looking for and have no idea about screens. Any help would be great thanks.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You say the wiring is already in the ceiling but you don't say what kind of wiring. It could be 20 years old and not able to handle current high definition signals. You will need at minimum a quality HDMI cable run from your projector location to the location of your source equipment.

I looked at that projector but it did not fit my needs because it does not have an optical zoom. With your 13 foot location, you are limited to a screen of 121" diagonal based on this calculator - http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD142X-projection-calculator-pro.htm And if you measured from the mounting area, that doesn't mean that is where the lens will be. If it is a few inches closer to the wall that will change your screen size dramatically. At 12' 7" (only 5 inches closer) your screen size changes to 112" diagonal. I put the biggest screen I could fit on my wall, had a projector location that could not move so I got a projector with optical zoom to make everything work.

I was certain that my projector would only be used for movies and sports. WRONG. I watch EVERYTHING on it. I spent $2,200 on my first projector and wore it out. My Epson 8345 was on sale for $480 a few years ago and was a better projector than my first. I'm on my 3rd bulb right now. My last bulb lasted a little over 2,000 hours so you have an idea on how often I watch TV on it.

I built my screen using 1x2 poplar wood and associated hardware from Lowes and blackout curtain cloth from my local fabric store. A 103" screen cost me about $75 and took a weekend to build. Most of that was waiting for the paint to dry on the border. Amazon and ebay have projector screen kits if you aren't handy with tools.

Ceiling speakers aren't the best option for anything unless it is an intercom system or background music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks