What's new

Blu-ray player problem, might need replacement (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I currently have a Samsung Blu-ray player. I would love to be more specific than that but all I see on the front is the Samsung brand name and Blu-ray player logo; I have no idea where the model number is. This player was purchased by my family a few years ago when they moved into our current house while I was living elsewhere. I relocated here lat fall, so did not purchase this equipment myself and know very little about it. The bottom of the Blu-ray's remote says AK59-00149A.

There are no buttons on the player itself except a light to tell you if the power is on. All functions must be perfumed using the remote.

I use the player several times a week. On Thursday, I watched Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone without incident. On Friday, I put in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets -- a disc I had viewed before, although not with this player -- and the Blu-ray player "ate" it. That is to say, it closed when I told it to close, but now, it won't reopen. It also refuses to play the disc, and the main display screen for the player currently says that there is "no disc" in it. The remote has ceased to function, except for the volume control. We replaced the batteries to no effect. No matter what I press, the player will not respond. This is the first time this player has behaved in this manner, and I have been using it on a frequent basis since September of last year.

I am wondering if I should replace the player entirely with one that has buttons on the player itself, which would reduce my dependency on the remote. Unfortunately, the Blu-ray players in other rooms of the house are identical to the one in my room with the problem. The others are not currently experiencing the same issue, but if I were to switch players with one in another room, I would still end up with the identical model. Unfortunately, even though they are all the same, attempting to use a remote from one of those players has not resulted in functionality either. It's also important to me to get this resolved because I generally prefer to watch films in the privacy of my own room, rather than in public areas within the house, unless we are watching something together, which only happens rarely because my family and I do not share similar film tastes.

I did an Amazon search for Blu-ray players and see several options, but have no idea what to pick because I can't tell which models have buttons and which don't. I need a basic Blu-ray player that will play discs and has internet connectivity to access Netflix, Amazon Video and Vudu. That is pretty much it. 4K and 3D are not necessary for me at this time.

However, even though I would prefer a model with buttons, the one I have has worked well enough -- until it hasn't.

There is also the issue that even if I replace this player, I still need to get Chamber of Secrets out of it, sinceI don't want to replace that disc.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do here, either purchase-wise or fix-wise or both? As I said, I'd love to be more specific but I'm not sure where to find the model number on the player itself.

Thanks to anyone and everyone who may be able to offer suggestions.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It's an obvious move that you've probably already tried, but if you haven't, unplug the player for a few minutes and then plug it back in. I've found when I get a player that locks up like that, unplugging generally resets the machine and allows me to open the disc tray and remove the disc.

As for a model suggestion, I can't help you there. Although I like Samsung players (I've had two since Blu-ray came in, one of them 3D) and think they do excellently with upconverting DVDs, the machine doesn't give me the picture and audio information I need when compiling reviews for HTF, so I had to move to other brands which do give more facts about the disc transfers.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I was going to suggest unplugging the player's power cord for several minutes, but Matt beat me to it. If that does not work and you end up buying a new player, there should be some way to remove the casing from the player so you can get inside and retrieve your Harry Potter disc.

As for a new player, they are pretty inexpensive these days. I've had good luck with both Panasonic and Sony players. The last player I bought was a Sony model for our South Carolina condo a couple of years ago. It had a built-in WiFi adapter and several streaming apps, and only cost about $70. Just about all the name brand players should have similar features. Not many have buttons on the player itself, though. I think our Sony only has a power button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks