What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Lifeboat -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Of necessity, we need to file Alfred Hitchcock's Lifeboat under the "special case" category, for problems.

Decades ago I had a pleasing 16mm print, but the original 35mm elements seem to be gone.

Not only the original negative, but any high quality fine grain masters, derived from same.

Everything that I recall has always had dupey main titles, problems with either nitrate decomp, or lab issues. One could uses Lifeboat as a film restoration study for a master's thesis.

Therefore, we go in with the knowledge that we'll see spotting, occasional scratches and other problems.

Without a very expensive restoration, which would not be wholly successful, this is what Lifeboat looks like.

Kino Lorber has been kind enough to release the film on Blu-ray, and the aforementioned problems understood, this is a quality effort, with some quality (some re-cycled) extras.

For Hitchcock fans, this is an extremely important release. For those who have not yet discovered his lessor known work, it may be a revelation.

My advise is to just pick this one up, and enjoy.

Image - 3.5

Audio - 4

4k Up-rez - 3.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have the UK edition, and am quite satisfied with it. I assume Kino's transfer is the same one. It's really very watchable. Plus, it has the most inventive "cameo" appearance by Hitchcock of all time!

Last edited:

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
The US Kino disc obviously shares the German Concorde's darker 1.39:1 AR transfer, as per the Caps-a-holic and DVDBeaver comparisons. I have the UK Eureka and prefer its slightly paler transfer, which brings up more shadow detail in this oftentimes very murkily-shot film.
However, the unusual AR and extra side info on the former discs are a real curiosity. Does anyone have any idea why that's the case; did Eureka crop their supplied transfer to maintain a standard 1.33:1 image?

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The US Kino disc obviously shares the German Concorde's darker 1.39:1 AR transfer, as per the Caps-a-holic and DVDBeaver comparisons. I have the UK Eureka and prefer its slightly paler transfer, which brings up more shadow detail in this oftentimes very murkily-shot film.
However, the unusual AR and extra side info on the former discs are a real curiosity. Does anyone have any idea why that's the case; did Eureka crop their supplied transfer to maintain a standard 1.33:1 image?

What is a "standard 1.33 image?"

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
The overwhelming majority of Academy ratio (1.37:1) films are transferred to disc slightly cropped to 1.33:1, to match DVD's native AR, as well as that of most pre-widescreen CRT TVs. Hence, "standard 1.33:1 image".

Have you any idea why the US and German BDs have extra side info, beyond what I said in my previous post?

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The overwhelming majority of Academy ratio (1.37:1) films are transferred to disc slightly cropped to 1.33:1, to match DVD's native AR, as well as that of most pre-widescreen CRT TVs. Hence, "standard 1.33:1 image".

Have you any idea why the US and German BDs have extra side info, beyond what I said in my previous post?

And, when were these films transferred? For many specs on back covers, 1.33 seems to have become a misnomer.

Has anything been harvested in the past 10-15 years, and purposefully matted to 1.33, that was not shot as such?

Most modern scans are MOAR, Mit Out Aspect Ratio, and later matted as necessary.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
So you don't know the answer then? That's ok. I was rather hoping someone actually involved with the production of the Kino might chime in, but perhaps not...

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I bought this blu-ray a while back, but only watched it recently. I was impressed at how good it looked and sounded. There are obviously some troublesome sections, but I can overlook them and sink into this powerful film. Can I be obvious and state that this is an important film to watch in our current political climate?

This weekend, I watched again with the new commentary by Tim Lucas, and enjoyed it even more. I listened to Drew Casper's commentary when I first had the DVD, and enjoyed it too, so no disparagement there.

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought the image was the best I have ever seen it look..... Nice extras too!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
On Amazon there are two versions: one if blu ray and one if multi-format and includes a blu ray. Which is the current release and contains the commentary(s)?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
On Amazon there are two versions: one if blu ray and one if multi-format and includes a blu ray. Which is the current release and contains the commentary(s)?

This is the new Kino release. The multi-format one you mentioned says it's an Australian release, so I'm not sure what transfer was used.

Brian9229

Rushman
Real Name
Brian
I've got the UK MOC BD of this and while it certainly has it's issues, it's still a great, one off, sort of Hitchcock film. Glad to see it reviewed here.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I've got the UK MOC BD of this and while it certainly has it's issues, it's still a great, one off, sort of Hitchcock film. Glad to see it reviewed here.

One I would like to pick up. Had the DVD but lost it a while back.
Is there any picture difference between the 2 blu Rays?
I'm region free blu ray too.

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter

I only have the Kino release but can vouch that it looks the best I have ever seen it look

Brian9229

Rushman
Real Name
Brian
So far, I've only seen and owned the MOC version from UK. Based on the reviews I've read of the Kino version,(Blu-ray.com and hidef digest) it's pretty much the same. There are quite a few issues technically, but there's a raw kind of charm to the transfer I think, with it's unprocessed look. When it comes to any Hitchcock film though, I'll take any Blu-ray I can get. There's no doubt though, this film, and quite a few other Hitchcock films are in dire need of restoration.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
So far, I've only seen and owned the MOC version from UK. Based on the reviews I've read of the Kino version,(Blu-ray.com and hidef digest) it's pretty much the same. There are quite a few issues technically, but there's a raw kind of charm to the transfer I think, with it's unprocessed look. When it comes to any Hitchcock film though, I'll take any Blu-ray I can get. There's no doubt though, this film, and quite a few other Hitchcock films are in dire need of restoration.

Any difference in extras?

Brian9229

Rushman
Real Name
Brian
Any difference in extras?
The kino has a new commentary with Tim Lucas, the MOC does not. Both have the same extras.Except, the MOC includes both Hitchcock shorts Bon Voyage and Aventure Malgache that Hitch made for France during WW2. And the MOC includes a booklet.These alone made me favor the MOC, as the transfer is really nearly identical. Amazon.co.uk has the MOC version for what equates to $13 US, not including shipping. The Kino is also a little over $13. The MOC is also region B.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The kino has a new commentary with Tim Lucas, the MOC does not. Both have the same extras.Except, the MOC includes both Hitchcock shorts Bon Voyage and Aventure Malgache that Hitch made for France during WW2. And the MOC includes a booklet.These alone made me favor the MOC, as the transfer is really nearly identical. Amazon.co.uk has the MOC version for what equates to $13 US, not including shipping. The Kino is also a little over $13. The MOC is also region B.

I'll stick with the kino release when I get that far...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks