What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Passengers was promoted with an interesting premise, a man and a woman are awakened from hibernation 90 years too early on a journey to another planet as their ship begins to malfunction. The resulting movie tries to be several different types of movies at once, and all but skips over a moral dilemma of one of the key characters.

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:

Aspect Ratio:
Audio:

Subtitles:
Rating:

Run Time:
Package Includes:

Case Type:

Disc Type:
Region:

Release Date:
MSRP:

The Production:

Video:
3D Rating:

Audio:

Special Features:

Overall:

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The 4K release you link to makes no mention of 3D. Does this 4K release really include 3D? If so, I applaud them for doing that.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yes, it includes three discs - 4K UHD, 3D Blu, and 2D Blu - as well as a digital copy.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Kudos to Sony for including 3D with the UHD release. Would love to see others start doing the same. My wife and I saw this in the theater and really enjoyed it. I don't remember the morality of his decision being glossed over. Good thing I picked up the UHD so I can re-watch it!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Kudos to Sony for including 3D with the UHD release. Would love to see others start doing the same.

I agree, but I'm very concerned it's going to go in the other direction. Passengers may be the last Sony UHD/3D combo. Two 3D Sony movies scheduled for disc release in the near future will be UHD/2D only. One of them, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, was a native 3D production and the early temp art for the disc had the UHD + 3D banner that Passengers had. But when the official press release came out, the 3D had been dropped. I'm worried that Sony is throwing in the towel on home 3D.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I agree, but I'm very concerned it's going to go in the other direction. Passengers may be the last Sony UHD/3D combo. Two 3D Sony movies scheduled for disc release in the near future will be UHD/2D only. One of them, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, was a native 3D production and the early temp art for the disc had the UHD + 3D banner that Passengers had. But when the official press release came out, the 3D had been dropped. I'm worried that Sony is throwing in the towel on home 3D.

Best Buy has it:
bbre.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Best Buy has it:

It might be a Best Buy exclusive. The press release for the title makes no mention of a 3D version being released, and it's not available for preorder in other outlets. Originally other outlets had a UHD/3D version for preorder, but after the press release, it disappeared, replaced by a UHD 2D-only version. It may also be a phantom listing on the Best Buy site.

At any rate, confusion over whether or not a product will even exist certainly isn't going to help it sell.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It might be a Best Buy exclusive. The press release for the title makes no mention of a 3D version being released, and it's not available for preorder in other outlets. Originally other outlets had a UHD/3D version for preorder, but after the press release, it disappeared, replaced by a UHD 2D-only version. It may also be a phantom listing on the Best Buy site.

At any rate, confusion over whether or not a product will even exist certainly isn't going to help it sell.
I got it from Target and it had the 3D version included.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
First, a big thank to you Sony for including both UHD and 3D in the same package. Made making the purchase a no brainer.

Secondly, the Columbia/Sony logo in 3D is my favorite of the studio 3D logos with so many pieces of it on different planes and rays from the torch coming out of the screen at you. Magnificent.

Thirdly, I was surprised how much I really enjoyed the film. I had glanced over a review in Variety on its release that said it was dull, but I found it anything but dull and really got into the characterizations and the moral dilemma at the heart of the story. Yes, the happy ending was definitely a contrivance (by all rights, Pratt's character should have perished), but by then I was ready to go where the filmmakers wanted to take me, and I did like the ending.

And the 3D was absolutely one of the best for making space look endlessly deep. My home theater room was very dark, and I could have sworn that the window of the screen I was looking through went straight through the back wall of my house and out into the universe. Superb depth with this transfer.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

An interesting idea. I'll have to wait awhile and let the movie dim a little in my memory before trying this, i.e. watching from Jennifer waking up.

It has one advantage, since I found the portion of the movie before she wakes to be a little to long.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I thought movie and the 3D was OK but, it's not something I would want to watch again. I sold it on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks