What's new

Looking for help with receiver interference (1 Viewer)

Vinicius Carvalho

Auditioning
Real Name
Vinicius Carvalho
Hi there, I'm deeply sorry by posting this again, I spend most of yesterday on google searching for causes of receiver humming.

We moved to a new place, and our Sony STR-DN-840 started to hum very badly when plugged into the outlet. This was not the case on our last apartment.

So I tried to verify the ground plug issue: There's no ground prong on either the sub or the receiver

I've also eliminated the coax cable, by removing it and turning off the cable modem.

I did notice that the family room seems to be the place where most interference is being heard, I moved it downstairs and the noise level was reduced considerably (not completely, but seems to be on expected levels for a transformer)

My house has a subpanel on the second floor, and a main panel at the garage, I wonder if the subpanel is the culprit here. I'm not sure what else one could do. Should I buy a transformer? I'm going to test the receiver speakers output to see if there's any DC voltage, but to be honest if found I don't know what to do.

Any other advices for a newbie media aficionado?

Thank you

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa