Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

Peyton Place Blu-ray Review

peytonplacetop-1024x428.jpg

A tender, evocative small town drama with incisive character studies delivered by a clutch of outstanding actors has been somewhat miraculously extracted from Grace Metalious’ scandalous best seller in Mark Robson’s Peyton Place.

[review]
Read more.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Another fine review Matt. I have seen the HD version,which I guess was taken from the same master as the Studio Classics dvd release. It looks pretty good. I have read that restoration work has been undertaken by Fox on this title- does it show noticeably in your opinion?
Like you, I believe this was one occasion when an adaptation improved upon the source material and the censorship of the day did more good than harm. The novel is sensational and involving but not particularly well written. (I believe it was banned here in Australia for a time- a sure way to ensure best seller status at that time!). The screenplay by John Michael Hayes develops the characters in a sensitive manner and actually makes them more compelling and realistic. One change made for censorship was the way Selena's pregnancy is terminated- in the book, the doctor performs an abortion, in the movie, Selena suffers a fall and loses the child (typical for Code-ruled Hollywood). The doctor covers up things somewhat so his heroism is retained,albeit in a lesser way. Nonetheless, this compromise does not harm the film.
The cast is uniformly excellent (even the somewhat limited Terry Moore, who has a touching scene with Leon Ames after the death of her husband, Rodney Harrington, who was resurrected as Ryan O'Neal in the TV series). I believe Russ Tamblyn and the late Diane Varsi (who sadly did not live to old age) were worthier of the Supporting Actor/Actress Oscars than Red Buttons and Miyoshi Umeki, as good as they were in SAYONARA. In the pool at the Hollywood YMCA in 1981 I happened to meet a retired worker from Fox who went on location to Camden for PEYTON PLACE. He told me that Varsi and Tamblyn caused mayhem there. I visited Camden later on that US trip. The town seemed to have changed little. A cafe displayed stills from the movie. I went to a lookout spot which I felt sure had been used for the scene pictured above. Lana Turner did not go to Camden, thus the rear projection utilized at times when she is 'outside'.( Her double went there, of course).
The glorious Franz Waxman score has been described as showcasing one of the most exquisitely beautiful themes composed for the cinema.. I agree. It was not nominated for Best Score. Waxman resigned from the Academy over the non-nomination of Alfred Newman's score for THE ROBE at the 1954 ceremony and few of his scores were nominated after this. A clear snub. (Johnny Green's score for RAINTREE COUNTY was, in my opinion, worthier than the score which won the Oscar, THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI by Malcolm Arnold)
Lana Turner was initially reluctant to portray a mother but was rewarded with an Oscar nomination for her outstanding work. Her disappointment at losing must have been swiftly forgotten as the murder of Johnny Stompanato took place on her return from the ceremony, if I am recalling correctly. (Later the basis for WHERE LOVE HAS GONE by the shameless Harold Robbins and filmed with Susan Hayward- one case where a pulpy novel could not be transformed into a better film). The child actor who portrayed Hope Lange's brother (Scotty Morrow) was busy at Fox in '57, he also appeared in AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER as an orphan Betty Field had previously worked with Hope Lange in BUS STOP in a totally different role. The sequel- also a Metalious tome- RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE, was not as good but was nonetheless interesting and utilized some footage from the first film. Eleanor Parker and Carol Lynley were capable replacements for Turner and Varsi and Mary Astor-as expected-steals he movie. I hope this makes it to Twilight Time in the near future. Thanks TT for bringing us another great CinemaScope movie from Fox's golden age with a landmark score. (Can I make yet another plea for a CinemaScope blu ray of Philip Dunne's PRINCE OF PLAYERS with a great Bernard Herrmann score? The panned-and-scanned Archive release is one of the biggest disappointments in recent years!)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The very good Willard Carroll commentary on the disc details the changes from book to film including some of the changes you mentioned, Lionel, and also changes to the characters of Norman and Rodney that made them more screen-friendly.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The very good Willard Carroll commentary on the disc details the changes from book to film including some of the changes you mentioned, Lionel, and also changes to the characters of Norman and Rodney that made them more screen-friendly.
Yep, excellent bonus material on this release.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to pick this up along with 'The Mad Magician'(if it's still available) , and Edge of Eternity'

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Really enjoyed watching Peyton Place today on this solid blu-ray from Twilight Time. Keep a Kleenex handy, just in case. I was admiring the screenplay, and then found out that it was written by the same guy who wrote Rear Window—and so no wonder!

Matt H. says it well in his review.....

"Screenwriter John Michael Hayes has magnificently boiled the essence of small town life from Grace Metalious’ book, kept only a bit of its salaciousness but instead concentrated on interpersonal relationships that go beyond the melodrama and hit at the tender and stirring souls of these characters, particularly the younger ones. It is nearly impossible to watch the film and not identify with one or more of the younger characters, striving as they all are for individual identities and a desire to find their ways in the world without interference from parents, friends, or townsfolk, especially the latter who in Peyton Place tend to mind not only their own business but everyone else’s, too. Director Mark Robson captures the seasons wonderfully throughout (gorgeous DeLuxe color cinematography by William Mellor), and he imbues real hometown spirit to everyday events in the movie...."

PS And, as always with TT releases, Julie Kirgo's essay on the movie is a treat.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Really enjoyed watching Peyton Place today on this solid blu-ray from Twilight Time. Keep a Kleenex handy, just in case. I was admiring the screenplay, and then found out that it was written by the same guy who wrote Rear Window—and so no wonder!

"Screenwriter John Michael Hayes has magnificently boiled the essence of small town life from Grace Metalious’ book, kept only a bit of its salaciousness but instead concentrated on interpersonal relationships that go beyond the melodrama and hit at the tender and stirring souls of these characters, particularly the younger ones. It is nearly impossible to watch the film and not identify with one or more of the younger characters, striving as they all are for individual identities and a desire to find their ways in the world without interference from parents, friends, or townsfolk, especially the latter who in Peyton Place tend to mind not only their own business but everyone else’s, too. Director Mark Robson captures the seasons wonderfully throughout (gorgeous DeLuxe color cinematography by William Mellor), and he imbues real hometown spirit to everyday events in the movie...."

PS And, as always with TT releases, Julie Kirgo's essay on the movie is a treat.
Peyton Place is a first-class production down the line.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I knew this movie was a hit, but wow, it was actually a box office smash for 1957, right behind Bridge on the River Kwai. Good year....

Top-grossing films 1957 (U.S.)
Rank Title Studio Gross rental
1. The Bridge on the River Kwai Columbia $17,195,000
2. Peyton Place 20th Century Fox $16,100,000
3. Sayonara Warner Bros. $10,500,000
4. Old Yeller* Walt Disney Productions $10,050,000
5. The Curse of Frankenstein Warner Bros $7,000,000
6. Raintree County MGM $5,963,000
7. Island in the Sun 20th Century Fox $5,550,000
8. Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? 20th Century Fox $4,900,000
9. A Farewell to Arms 20th Century Fox $4,865,000
10. Gunfight at the O.K. Corral Paramount $4,700,000
11. Pal Joey Columbia $4,500,000
12. Jailhouse Rock MGM $4,474,000
13. The Prince and the Showgirl Warner Bros. $4,300,000
14. Jeanne Eagels Columbia $4,250,000
15. Fire Down Below Columbia $4,000,000
16. Funny Face Paramount $3,995,000
17. Loving You Paramount $3,990,000
18. Jet Pilot Universal $3,887,000
19. Witness for the Prosecution United Artists $3,883,000
20. An Affair to Remember 20th Century Fox $3,800,000
21. The Wayward Bus 20th Century Fox $3,776,000

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Great film! I watched it a couple of times during my childhood because of my older sisters and mother. However, I hated the TV show that was based on the novel and movies as the women in my house used to confiscate the TV in my household to watch it and prevent me from watching my westerns and war TV shows.:) Luckily, we got a color TV too during that time so that freed up the older TV for me.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Great film! I watched it a couple of times during my childhood because of my older sisters and mother. However, I hated the TV show that was based on the novel and movies as the women in my house used to confiscate the TV in my household to watch it and prevent me from watching my westerns and war TV shows.:) Luckily, we got a color TV too during that time so that freed up the older TV for me.
Same thing happened at my house. When we got our first color set, the black and white one went into my parents' bedroom, and that's where I spent many an evening watching my movies and comedies while everyone else in the family was watching some kind of sports or something else on the color set.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin

As it so happens, my better half and I watched this just the other night for the first time. We were surprised at the frankness of the movie for its time, and impressed by the overall production and acting.

On watching the extras on the TT Blu, we were further surprised to learn that in fact the original novel had been watered-down in some respects for certification.

The TV series was huge when I was a kid, and I resented it greatly, since I had to forego my favourite shows because the grown-ups in the household wanted to watch Peyton Place. So I had little interest in the original film until I read Matt’s review here and decided to give it a chance. Good decision.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
As a little PS about the power of reviews, I was thinking of getting this, but then Matt H's glowing review pushed me over the edge into actually buying it. And so, thanks again for that review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks