What's new

Nintendo Switch gamepad protective case?? (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Our Switch arrived yesterday and I'm already very nervous about the day to day use of it by a 9 year old. That tiny slippery little handheld gamepad is just SCREAMING "DROP ME!!". At least with our Wii U we could buy a silicone jacket for the gamepad. Sure it wasn't the BEST protection, but it saved us a could of times.

Googling I don't find any kind of cover or similar form of protection for the gamepad. Does it just have to be used "naked" and you just cross fingers it won't take a dive onto the hard floor etc?

Other than that my 9 year old is enjoying it. Personally I was a bit shocked at how cheaply the and lightweight the console is, I figured it would be a bit more weighty and sturdy than it is. We did put a screen protector on it first thing since we heard that snapping it into the console can cause scratches to the screen,

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The official Nintendo one is terrible, too small and not protective. The Sheikatablet one that comes with BOTW CE is awesome size and protection but is objectively ugly. I wish there was one that size and shape in jet black.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Hmmm. I found a silicone case that covers the WHOLE unit if the controllers are snapped on. Problem is, my son thinks it's cool to take controllers off now and then and carrying the gamepad (screen only part) around and putting it on tables to play games. I think he does it because he saw the commercials where everyone is setting the pad down on a table and dancing around etc so he wants to try it. But carrying that small slippery screen around scares me to death. I just know one day that thing will slip out of his hands and land on the tile floor. Ugh.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, whatever you find on Amazon right now is probably what exists.

For what it's worth, someone did a drop test with the Switch when it came out and it took them 5 solid drops onto concrete before it broke. A 9 year old dropping it on carpet or hardwood floors shouldn't be "as" bad.

The dock scratching screens thing was sort of a non-issue. Affected a very, very small number of people. It was because the dock, when viewed from the side, was clearly bent inward. Chances are that this won't happen to you. Even so...the protective screen cover is a good idea (I have one, too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks