Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Blu-ray Review

rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-1920x1080-poster-hd-2757-1024x576.jpg

For those (like me) who were extremely dissatisfied with the three prequel movies which now exist as Episodes 1, 2, and 3, Rogue One feels like the prequel that Star Wars: A New Hope always deserved.

[review]
Read more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Is there a consensus on whether BB or Target has the best extras for the 3D version? It would appear the only thing special about the the BB versions is the steel book. Target does have exclusive content.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Is there a consensus on whether BB or Target has the best extras for the 3D version?

For extras, definitely Target. The Best Buy version has all of the same extras that appear on the standard edition, with the addition of the 3D disc. Only the Target version includes additional exclusive bonus features in addition to the 3D disc.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Be aware that Target's exclusive content is typically only available via streaming. There's no extra disc.

That's sometimes true, but in this instance, they specifically noted that the extra content will be on an included bonus DVD disc.

From the website description: "Only at Target: Collectible packaging with interchangeable covers + exclusive content on bonus disc!"

The Target exclusive "Star Trek Beyond" release from last year also included that bonus material on an additional disc.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks Josh, I missed that on this release. Since the cover only states "Exclusive Content" I figured it was the usual BS and didn't dig any further.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Be aware that Target's exclusive content is typically only available via streaming. There's no extra disc.
That means the content could disappear at any time and that sucks.

That's sometimes true, but in this instance, they specifically noted that the extra content will be on an included bonus DVD disc.

From the website description: "Only at Target: Collectible packaging with interchangeable covers + exclusive content on bonus disc!"

The Target exclusive "Star Trek Beyond" release from last year also included that bonus material on an additional disc.
The extra material is only on a dvd, not a blu ray? That sucks too. Is the content usually worth choosing Target over BB?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The extra material is only on a dvd, not a blu ray? That sucks too. Is the content usually worth choosing Target over BB?

The price is about the same on the Target and Best Buy releases, so your only choice is really - do you want more bonus features or not? The Best Buy set doesn't have any exclusive bonus content, just the same as on the regular release.

I never care about retail exclusive packaging. I only care about content on disc. Target's version, which includes extra bonus content, is of more value to me than Best Buy's, which does not. YMMV.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Matt:

Thanks for the review!

I'm probably one of the few forum members who did NOT get to the theater to see Rogue One. It's comforting to know that with 5 of 5 rankings on audio and video I'll be getting a solid home video presentation to really enjoy this on my gear.

It looks like the Amazon/Disney spat will force me into a Target or Wal-Mart to pick up this release.

Count me among those who are surprised they didn't resolve their differences before this week.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Target 3D has the extra bonus DVD, but best guess is that it's only 10+ minutes of material. I actually like Target's package better than Walmart 2D, the std 2D, or BBY steelbook so it was an easy choice esp with the extra preorder $5 GC offer. No theater for me either.

If they don;t settle quickly this may be in for the long haul -- Pinocchio, Doctor Strange, Moana and now Rogue One. There;s just nothing to force their hand for many months. Of course they've already lost all the preorders and no 3D item. My Target 3D just shipped tonight so should be here by Monday night.

Bambi appears to be a June Release now, but the next big Disney home video will certainly be BatB (2017) then leading candidate Lion King Signature for holiday season plus the summer Disney movie is (Cars3, Pirates 5, Guardians of the Galaxy). I was thinking BATB would be a Fall release, but timing say Summer makes more sense bases on teh last couple years.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The extra target content is only 10 minutes long.
I will be picking up my copy from Barnes & Noble's. As I have a gift card there.
Can't wait for Tuesday!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks