What's new

3D 3D TV may be dying, but 'Rogue One' 3D Blu-ray is sold out (1 Viewer)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I tell ya, it seems I'm always late to the show. I've had my Mit 64738 DLP 3D TV for years along with a BD 3D player and just a few months ago finally bought the glasses.

Liked it so much, sold my PJ and updated to a 3D/4K PJ...and now 3D is taking a turn for the worse.

I'm still double dipping so I can build up my 3D collection, slowly but surely.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Glad it sold well for Disney. It is a monster sized movie, so the sellout shouldn't be a surprise, especially with the niche of enthusiasts that are trying to snatch up every 3D release that comes out. Will this help revive the manufacturing of 3D sets?, highly doubtful, but if disc makers can make a few extra bucks off the diehard 3D crowd, more power to them.

It's sort of like VHS sales. We all switched to DVD back in the day but there were still that smallish diehard group of folks who wouldn't let go of their VHS machine, so you could still buy VHS at WM, Target etc for several years after its death (no more vhs machines etc). So I'm sure as long as disc sales still exist, and enough folks still opt for 3D discs, they will make them. At some point it will die off completely but for now, it seems to be a viable niche product that makes them money.

Last edited:

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Not to burst the bubble of the thread that 3D is somehow making a come back.

It appears to be available at only 2 stores, with limited availability.

"Best Buy is selling a SteelBook version of the 3D Blu-ray while Target has a "only at Target" collectible packaging edition with interchangeable covers."

I do not have a 3D setup, but a friend from work does. If I am going to buy a title, and it is available in 3D, I will buy the 3D version and give him the 3D disk for the cost difference.

The cost difference at Best Buy for this title was somewhere between $5.00 and $10.00 (can't remember exactly, but it was a very low number), and that included the extra fancy metal case.

I was busy at work, and by Thursday when I went buy to pick it up, they had sold out.

The small price difference and some added extras probably had more to do with the sell out than 3D adoption.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Also its a lot easier to "sell out" when there's far fewer inventory on the market and most of it is being grabbed by resellers and scalpers.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Blu-ray.com gave a much higher "video" rating to the 2D over the 3D image, but I strongly disagree.

A friend of mine brought a copy from Target and we watched it Monday night (April 17) --
After viewing the entire film on the excellent 3D version, we looked at some of the 2D version.
We both really missed the depth that is found in the 3D. It truly adds to the film.

I feel that the transfer looks much better in 3D than 2D.

I will also add that I loved the film more on this second viewing. I really liked it in IMAX 3D on my first experience, but I was even more into it this time.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Always a good sign to sell out though I think extenuating factors apply here. Also there are still several Target's with copies if you're bit lucky. 2 stores within 70 miles in my area still list it though I can't confirm it's true/

For those who missed it, before considering scalper central remember this is still widely available in most Region B and C territories and it's completely region free. All you miss is the Collectors Exclusive packaging.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The author of the article writes:

But apparently there are still some folks who value 3D

The author fails to take into account that over 50% of the tickets sold for Rogue One theatrically, and something like 65-70% of the tickets sold for The Force Awakens theatrically, were for one of the various 3D formats: IMAX 3D, RealD 3D, Dolby 3D, etc. So despite this guy's unprofessional snark (remember real journalism? I do), yes, there are people that still value 3D. When a billion dollar grossing movie sells more than 50% of its tickets in the 3D format, there shouldn't be such shock that some of those people would also want to buy it in that format too.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I think this is a great "uptick" for Disney and for the format.

It shows, at least for certain titles, that there is definitely still a demand for 3D product.

Let's hope it prompts the studios to continue supporting 3D

...and encourages them toward a 3D release of PETE'S DRAGON, even if that title was "relatively" disappointing (although profitable) in theatrical box office returns.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I got the 3D version only because I wanted the Best Buy Steel book. Honestly, I'll probably never watch the 3D disc. I wonder how many other bought the 3D version whether Target or what have you because of the "special" aspect.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Not to burst the bubble of the thread that 3D is somehow making a come back.

3D is not making a comeback. You cannot buy a 3D TV. The majority of people do not buy 3D discs and watch them in 3D. We know we are in the minority. Funny thing is the 3D is not that great according to people who have reviewed this title.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The author fails to take into account that over 50% of the tickets sold for Rogue One theatrically, and something like 65-70% of the tickets sold for The Force Awakens theatrically, were for one of the various 3D formats: IMAX 3D, RealD 3D, Dolby 3D, etc. So despite this guy's unprofessional snark (remember real journalism? I do), yes, there are people that still value 3D. When a billion dollar grossing movie sells more than 50% of its tickets in the 3D format, there shouldn't be such shock that some of those people would also want to buy it in that format too.

I'm not sure theatrical ticket sales necessarily correlate to a love of 3D. Around here, anyway, if you wanted to see it in IMAX or wanted to secure reserved seating, you had no option but to view the 3D version. It also played on far more 3D screens than 2D. I'd have preferred to have seen it in 2D, but the wider availability and reserved seating of the 3D version proved more convenient.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm not sure theatrical ticket sales necessarily correlate to a love of 3D. Around here, anyway, if you wanted to see it in IMAX or wanted to secure reserved seating, you had no option but to view the 3D version. It also played on far more 3D screens than 2D.

I don't know that all of that is strictly true. Although the majority of the IMAX presentations were in IMAX 3D, a limited number of 2D 15/70 prints were provided. The Dolby Cinema at AMC Prime locations primarily played the film in 2D. And at least in my market of New York City, all seating is reserved, not just premium formats.

It was entirely possible to see the movie in 2D if you wanted to. And yet, more people saw it in 3D. I realize that there isn't a 1-to-1 correlation between theatrical views and home video formats, but it's a pet peeve when I see a so-called journalist injecting personal opinion into what should be a factual article, and seeing his bias against the 3D format so nakedly on display. He could have been completely fine by making a specific statement that people are less interested in 3D at home, but by making the more general statement that people don't like 3D at all, well, there's not a lot of evidence to support that.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
3D is not making a comeback. You cannot buy a 3D TV. The majority of people do not buy 3D discs and watch them in 3D. We know we are in the minority. Funny thing is the 3D is not that great according to people who have reviewed this title.

Despite any reviews, as I said above in Post #7, the 3D is excellent.

No, things do not come flying at you, and, while I am a fan of pop out effects, I did not miss them in Rogue One. The additional depth added greatly to my enjoyment of the movie.

After A/B'ing it with the flat 2D version, I do not wish to experience Star Wars: Rogue One in any form other than 3D*
(*as long as my 2 eyes are both working properly).

Ruly2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Josh
incase this wasnt covered before:

The 3D Bluray of ROGUE ONE is ONLY available at Target and Best Buy. I would expect a wide release in November like they did with Ep.7

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Last week It took me three days and five Targets to find a 3D Blu-ray in store. It was the last one they had on the shelve.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The 3D Bluray of ROGUE ONE is ONLY available at Target and Best Buy.

Domestically, that's true, but it's also worth nothing that a region free version is available from Amazon.co.uk that includes the same 3D disc as those sets, just in more standard packaging. That disc is not a limited edition.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
The 3D of this is excellent and referenced quality. I have a 4K Sony XBRTV (without HDR). I watched the last Star Trek at a friends house in HDR and wasn't impressed - looked like motion flow and candy colored. The 3D version however on my set was like a different movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks