What's new

Miller's Theater (2 Viewers)

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I thought I would share some pictures now that I got my theater back together. We actually did a home remodel, so the theater benefited from this as well.

IMG_1967 by David Miller, on Flickr

Picture of the front of the theater. I have a Samsung 85" 4K TV (UN85HU8550) + Samsung Evolution Kit (SEK-3500U/ZA) the Evolution kit is velcroed to the back of the TV. Running two HDMI cables from Monoprice from the TV through the wall to behind the rack. I'm currently running 6500K white bias lighting https://www.amazon.com/Antec-Lighti...492790634&sr=8-9&keywords=bias+lighting+6500K however, it looks weird with the new wall color so I may remove it. Took 4 kits to go all the way around.

Speakers are on wall Definitive Technology XTR-60 for the fronts and center.

IMG_1966 by David Miller

The surround speakers are Definitive Technology XTR-20BP speakers (4)

IMG_1965 by David Miller

4 seat power reclining couch from Dana, as you can see a big Seahawks fan.

IMG_1970 by David Miller

New subwoofer as part of my upgrades, SVS PC-2000

IMG_1974 by David Miller

Atmos / DTS:X speakers - Definitive Technology DT8R in-ceiling

Rack by David Miller

Equipment: Oppo UHD Player (203), Roku Premiere+, Tivo Roamio Pro, Marantz SR7010 + Marantz MM7025, Xbox One S

shades closed by David Miller
Shades Open by David Miller

Showing the new channel roller shades which has made a big difference in light control in my room

IMG_1964 by David Miller

Close up shot of the shades

IMG_1979 by David Miller

Shot of the custom shelving I had my brother build in the closet, look the same on the other side.

Ok, I think that covers it. Happy to answer any questions.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Even "awesome" falls kinda short in describing my reaction to those images. Wow!

All the details and planning that went into that room make it look like a near perfect home theater. I noticed those cool window shades right away--perfect for the job.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised by the back-lighting behind the display. As absolutely cool as it looks, does it interfere at all with your viewing? Or do you turn that lighting off when the display is on?

Mega-envy from this guy who makes do with his basic gear in his living room space. :D

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
To be honest, I'm a little surprised by the back-lighting behind the display. As absolutely cool as it looks, does it interfere at all with your viewing? Or do you turn that lighting off when the display is on?

Actually I don't even notice them when watching, The idea was to give a little more contrast help or that is the theory.

Thanks for the comments.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Those lights really set off the display. I love them.

I tried one time to highlight my gear area with some of that ribbon-style marquee lighting and it looked great but was quite distracting from viewing the display. They were much harsher than that soft glow from your lights.

So that's a bonus that not only does it look so nice but it even enhances the experience. :thumbsup:

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
In my best Dart Vader impersonation (not very good :) ) "Impressive".

BTW where can I find more info on the kinds of roller blinds that you have got installed ?

Regards,

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Those lights really set off the display. I love them.

I tried one time to highlight my gear area with some of that ribbon-style marquee lighting and it looked great but was quite distracting from viewing the display. They were much harsher than that soft glow from your lights.

So that's a bonus that not only does it look so nice but it even enhances the experience. :thumbsup:

Here is a picture watching a movie.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I've been using the CinemaQuest D6500 LED Bias lighting behind two of my sets for awhile now. I find that it is not distracting at all. The CinemaQuest lighting comes with a remote control, so a person can set the backlighting level to individual taste. I find that it helps to reduce eyestrain from sitting in a completely darkened room.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
How well do the blinds work to darken the room during the day?

The shades closed / open shots above where taken during the day. I would say they block in the high 90% range. They have too small light leak areas at the very top but the baffle blocks it from direct light so in is more indirect. It gets my room pretty close to night time dark. My windows face west so I lot of light hits them. They also do a pretty good job of reducing the amount of heat coming through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks