What's new

THE GOLDEN CHILD on Blu ray??? (With John Barry's score?) (1 Viewer)

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
Perhaps Olive/Paramount will one day tackle a new HD master of the Eddie Murphy-starred "The Golden Child" with John Barry's restored score.

I believe Paramount does have separate sound stems (music, dialogue, and sound effects) to make it happen.

I doubt they would, however, use Michael Richie's preview cut (if it exists at all) since the director is no longer with us. Barry and replacement composer Michel Columbier are also gone too.

But it would be nice to at least hear the film as intended.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Perhaps Olive/Paramount will one day tackle a new HD master of the Eddie Murphy-starred "The Golden Child" with John Barry's restored score.

I believe Paramount does have separate sound stems (music, dialogue, and sound effects) to make it happen.

I doubt they would, however, use Michael Richie's preview cut (if it exists at all) since the director is no longer with us. Barry and replacement composer Michel Columbier are also gone too.

But it would be nice to at least hear the film as intended.

Well, at least the rejected, James Bond-like Barry score is available from La La Land Records (on a 3-disc CD set along with the Michel Colombier score that was finally used for the movie + a disc of other Barry music). Barry's is so superior that I can't help but think the film, which I intensely dislike (and I am a big Richie fan), would have been much more tolerable had it not been thrown away. The original score also includes a wonderful Heart-like song "The Best Man In the World" performed by Ann Wilson. The set is a bit pricey, and is limited to 5,000 units, but it's a bargain for Barry fans.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Golden-C...8&qid=1492852171&sr=1-1&keywords=golden+child

Last edited:

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The CD's out of print, so that Amazon price is a comparative bargain for now. I'm surprised there's no Blu-ray of the (awful) film, but if one appears it's unlikely to be any kind of a special edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks